Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

[Renés]Delta Points: The "funny" little things you should know [DP discussion merged]

[Renés]Delta Points: The "funny" little things you should know [DP discussion merged]

Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:46 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

I'm usually on the side of the defending bloggers but this is rather petty on his part. It also paints us in a very unflattering light that I think is not deserved.

2) Zealots rule the roost. Some, not all, long time users “think they own the place” that is there are those who think they “are” FT and tend to comment on everything. Some tend to stick to certain boards while others are equal opportunity sharers of “knowledge”.
http://deltapoints.boardingarea.com/...try-flyertalk/
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Wow. The whole post is pretty bold for a guy who takes so much content from here, has so much bad info on his blog, censors blog comments, and attacks members on here.

FT isn't perfect, neither is BA, or any other online community.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
wow...

all these bloggers who hate FT so much should resolve themselves to not get any of their story ideas from it.

I found the most laughable post to be post 10. Boarding Area is better then flyertalk? ummmm, no? Please show me what BA blogger posted on the trick to getting the AA exec card 6 times w/o having to pay an annual fee. That has been the BIGGEST deal of the year - and it was never discussed. FT had an incredible helpful and updated wiki on it.

i'm fine that it wasn't, less eyes on it. But the point is, if all you did was follow BA, you'd think that a 10k increase in the ink offer was the steal of a lifetime. maybe the ink deal was the COMMISSION offer of the year tho...
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:38 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
lol, pay no attention to the gold mine behind the curtain! It is SCARY!

Just get your information from ME and my partners!

I guess that's one approach to marketing!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I posted a comment complaining about the article, it was of course deleted, though there are four comments praising him.

I wrote an email to BA complaining about this, for all the good it will do
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
I posted a comment complaining about the article, it was of course deleted, though there are four comments praising him.

I wrote an email to BA complaining about this, for all the good it will do
pretty funny that we are supposed to get our information just from that blog and BA - but any disagreement (or pointing out of mistakes) is not tolerated. I can't fathom trusting anyone that refuses to acknowlege (publish) any conflicting opinions or corrections... thats incredibly unhelpful to newbies - but then again, its never really ever been about helping newbies, its always been about conversions

I don't think you'll get very far with BA. i find that they love FT potshots now that they don't make money off of it anymore.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:05 am
Original Poster

These comments really annoy me, here's one from the blog:

I used to frequent Flyertalk as a lurker. I rarely post.
As such, FT is populated by (not nice people), pure and simple.
The level of smugness is off the charts.
It has been increasingly difficult to ferret out information and most “members” are either too busy to even condescend to answer or they actually seem angry if a poster dares to post in the wrong forum.
Randy should shut it down and start over.
And one from Facebook:

Sounds like a miserable place, so I'll pass, thanks.
So everything we do that's positive, the Wikis, the Information Desk, the work we do for charities including the Captain Dahl Fund, the seminars etc. don't mean anything to these people?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
So everything we do that's positive, the Wikis, the Information Desk, the work we do for charities including the Captain Dahl Fund, the seminars etc. don't mean anything to these people?
nope. also the Do's are worthless..... And ignore the fact that 95%+ of new FTs likely have a positive first impression
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
I suspect that about 1000 times more people are visiting and exploring FT than are aware even of the existence of that blog, so I would not sweat over this
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Well traffic is up on FT and hey, DP, thanks for the referral so others who only went to BA now know there's an alternative.

Can't wait to see what TravelBloggerBuzz says about Rene's Deltapoints

Last edited by cruisr; Jul 17, 2014 at 8:42 am
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

flyertalk's specific forums vary dramatically

some people dont like forums, thats ok
i dont like anything that is NOT a forum
purely personal preferences
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by freeloader
if all you did was follow BA, you'd think that a 10k increase in the ink offer was the steal of a lifetime.
That may be the most succinctly damning thing I've seen written about bloggers generally.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
I think the blog is more a reflection on the blogger than on FT. You find what you look for on FT. If you are looking to be insulted, you will interpret everything as an insult. If you are looking for a community, I think that you will find a pretty good one here.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:21 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
I think the blog is more a reflection on the blogger than on FT. You find what you look for on FT. If you are looking to be insulted, you will interpret everything as an insult. If you are looking for a community, I think that you will find a pretty good one here.
FlyerTalk as a Rorschach Test. I like it! ^
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:32 pm
In Memoriam

The point made about asking a question that was answered four years ago is valid.

I used to cringe when I saw a new poster ask a question only to be told "learn to do a search". That isn't is bad as it used to be, but it still exists.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.