Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Are bloggers forbidden from talking about Airbnb?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are bloggers forbidden from talking about Airbnb?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Just as a data point, I tried to write a post about Airbnb today and some agents showed up and blew up my computer.

But seriously folks, I think this question is actually a catalyst for an interesting bifurcation we're all kind of seeing in this space. You have your points bloggers who talk about travel and then travel bloggers who talk about points, and the gulf is getting wider and wider between them. For a points blogger it (albeit most of the time) makes little sense to talk about Airbnb because most can't use points to stay in the properties they advertise.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
On a related note, are bloggers also forbidden from talking about this resource?

http://hovelstay.com/

They only accept college students but apparently up through grad school which does extent the possibilities and age range a bit.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm actually willing to fund a Kickstarter for OMAAT to review this or this 4 acre property After all if he doesn't review it, who will?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:04 am
HMO

An unfinished house tree?!? I may find even the asked $19/night expensive for this "property"...
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

do some people think airbnb invented the first private rental website?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:21 am
HMO

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Probably yes
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HMO
Probably yes
obviously in mainstream, but i meant perceptions in 'our' 'communities' etc
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Certainly no other private rental site has gained the traction Airbnb has over the last 5 years. But who have you seen claiming it is the first?

Personally I find Airbnb's fees to be rather high for what they provide (often 10-12% for the renter). These fees can add up, especially if/when they tack on hotel taxes. Hopefully some of the smaller rental sites will gain popularity as well to keep fees lower.

I'm happy hotels are getting some competition for leisure travel. We all benefit from the extra choice.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stackm
Certainly no other private rental site has gained the traction Airbnb has over the last 5 years. But who have you seen claiming it is the first?
what do you mean by traction?

no logic in talking about only one site when there are others.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:58 pm
HMO

no logic in talking about only one site when there are others.
Since when is this world logic?!?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by stackm

Personally I find Airbnb's fees to be rather high for what they provide (often 10-12% for the renter). These fees can add up, especially if/when they tack on hotel taxes. Hopefully some of the smaller rental sites will gain popularity as well to keep fees lower.

I'm happy hotels are getting some competition for leisure travel. We all benefit from the extra choice.
I wanted to give Airbnb a try a couple of months ago but when I tried to book a room for a few days they asked me to pass a "verification" process that would involve me sending them a scan of my passport and allowing them to "connect" with my Facebook profile. There's no way I will provide them with those infos so I guess I won't be using Airbnb. Maybe the same thing happened to some of the bloggers.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Just stumbled on this thread. So many great posts about chain hotels and the addiction to the supposed "perks".

Maybe when an Airbnb branded credit card is released, the bloggers will start paying attention

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.