Wiki Posts
Search

Use of video in point/miles blogs [and YouTube, Tiktok et al]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2014, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Use of video in point/miles blogs [and YouTube, Tiktok et al]

What are everyone's thoughts on the use of video in point/miles blogs? I like using video as a medium and think it could have some nice uses for blog posts. I know TPG uses it for Q&A, but thought there might be other uses as well.

Some of my ideas:
  • Previews of trip report posts (telling the story in person instead of just writing about it)
  • Lecture-style explanations of beginner-level MS concepts
  • ITA Matrix demonstrations

Is that something that you would want to watch? Or would you rather just read it? I believe in the power of narrative and think that some stories are just better when someone is telling them as opposed to writing them.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 1:29 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
Is that something that you would want to watch? Or would you rather just read it?
Both.

In other words, my suggestion is to give the reader a choice.

Photographs are a viable third option.

Also, ensure that your video is not too long. If it is, consider splitting it and placing the segments into separate articles, as some readers may only be interested in a specific portion of your trip report or demonstration — and ensure that the titles of those articles are clear and concise.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Both.

In other words, my suggestion is to give the reader a choice.

Photographs are a viable third option.

Also, ensure that your video is not too long. If it is, consider splitting it and placing the segments into separate articles, as some readers may only be interested in a specific portion of your trip report or demonstration — and ensure that the titles of those articles are clear and concise.
Thanks for the feedback. My idea was to include the video as a supplement to the written post, not a replacement. I'm a firm believer that any video should be shorter than 7 minutes, due to American attention spans that have been formed by sitcoms on TV (7 minutes is the average time between commercials).

The trip report videos will definitely be segmented, I was thinking it'd be a video covering the topic of that post, so if I was doing a post about Venice, that's what the video would be, if it was about the flight from Paris to Dubai, that'd be another video and another post.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Thanks for the feedback. My idea was to include the video as a supplement to the written post, not a replacement. I'm a firm believer that any video should be shorter than 7 minutes, due to American attention spans that have been formed by sitcoms on TV (7 minutes is the average time between commercials).

The trip report videos will definitely be segmented, I was thinking it'd be a video covering the topic of that post, so if I was doing a post about Venice, that's what the video would be, if it was about the flight from Paris to Dubai, that'd be another video and another post.
That probably sounds about right for most things. Having a choice between a narrative or accompanying video is good. I'd just say overall, experiment with what you think works for a given post or subject and see what the specific feedback from readers is.

I laughed about the 7 minute attention span, which is probably true but I hadn't ever thought about it! Some people may not even last that long
Old Jun 22, 2014, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I laughed about the 7 minute attention span, which is probably true but I hadn't ever thought about it! Some people may not even last that long
I've heard that the average on YouTube is much shorter. Like in the 90-120 seconds range. Not sure I can find that stat again, but it has guided some of my efforts in making little clips from trips.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 5:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I find video TRs tacky... I have no way to skip content and have to listen to narrative rather than speedreading it. That said I only have tried to watch the modhop video reviews.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I find video TRs tacky... I have no way to skip content and have to listen to narrative rather than speedreading it. That said I only have tried to watch the modhop video reviews.
You'll want to avoid watching TPG videos then:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23065062-post60.html
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Well I think what I want to do on the videos on trip reports is only post a video if there's a story worth sharing verbally. Like I said, I'm a big believer in the power of spoken narrative and think it could enhance a trip report in certain cases. Too often what I see are video slideshows and I think it could be done better.

That TPG video was kind of cheesy (I'm sure Brian would be the first to admit it), but good for him to be able to do that.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:50 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by sbm12
I've heard that the average on YouTube is much shorter. Like in the 90-120 seconds range. Not sure I can find that stat again, but it has guided some of my efforts in making little clips from trips.
I find the MilepointTV segments to be very well produced but waaaaaay too long. I typically bail out after the first couple minutes.

Although, come to think of it, I don't think I have seen once since the last megado.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by oliver2002
+1.... Pictures and text does it for me. Nearly all video's are badly edited, far too long and not very interesting anyway. Just like most blogs I guess :-).
Plus no way to skip to content, I never bother to even look at most.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Ok, here's an example of a post I did that has both video and text: http://andystravelblog.com/2014/06/26/boardingpasspsa/. The video definitely needs some work, and I have a microphone ordered so the audio will be much cleaner. (I also didn't really do a bunch of editing on what I was going to say, kind of just turned on the camera and started talking)

On a different note, I had absolutely no idea you could do screen recording in Quicktime until yesterday.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I cannot tell you how little interest I have in adding video to Head for Points. I don't watch video segments by others and can't face doing my own.

That said, I know someone who does YouTube videos of his luxury trips (BA First etc) and makes a pretty decent sum each month from only a handful of clips.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:33 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Ok, here's an example of a post I did that has both video and text: http://andystravelblog.com/2014/06/26/boardingpasspsa/. The video definitely needs some work, and I have a microphone ordered so the audio will be much cleaner. (I also didn't really do a bunch of editing on what I was going to say, kind of just turned on the camera and started talking)

On a different note, I had absolutely no idea you could do screen recording in Quicktime until yesterday.
It's a nice idea and your execution is actually pretty good. But I bailed after about 2.5 minutes. I'd suggest that's about the tolerance for length on a subject like that. And you could easily achieve that with better scripting and editing.

As ever, JMHO and YMMV!
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

I appreciate the critique. The average viewing time on youtube reflects exactly what you just said as well (average viewing time on that video was 3 minutes).
Old Jun 27, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
I like using videos in my blog posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.