Boarding Area's Fall

Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by cruisr
I just went over to see what was being said about the UA DOT ruling and took a look at the list of bloggers. It keeps growing. It's now at 59. I think it's out of control and whomever is supposed to check them (I guess someone may have that job) is missing the fact that Miles Professor hasn't posted since Dec. 4. I wonder what the parameters are as to how often a new post has to go up.

I think this is part of the fail as there are just too many blogs there.
Interesting. It appears The Miles Professor is no longer on BA.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Interesting. It appears The Miles Professor is no longer on BA.
I'm a bit surprised AAdvantage Geek is still on the roster - hasn't posted since Nov 3, 2014.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by edbyu
I'm a bit surprised AAdvantage Geek is still on the roster - hasn't posted since Nov 3, 2014.
Despite the criticism I often fire, I recognize that one of the hardest things about blogging is just doing it. Ignoring the quality of the research or the analysis for a moment, I can see how time consuming it is. For some, either their interest or their time may be limited, especially since the business model for P&M sites seems to require several daily posts. I'm not saying the interest or time requirements excuse some of the sloppy stuff that's posted, but I think it is something to keep in mind.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
"Earn Miles for Nepal Earthquake Donations"

I cannot put my palm through my face any further.

Not to mention the post starts with this:

Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by f0xx

speechless.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
That has got to be the most tasteless, tacky and depressing headline for getting miles, ever. Sad and pathetic.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:56 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
That has got to be the most tasteless, tacky and depressing headline for getting miles, ever. Sad and pathetic.
I commented on it. She actually responded but it was a pretty mealy mouthed response.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:29 am
Formerly known as iahsumr

Originally Posted by CMK10
I commented on it. She actually responded but it was a pretty mealy mouthed response.
I'm happy to respond here, too. Of all the sometimes questionable tactics and ways to earn miles and points that are posted to blogs and here on Flyertalk, for a post about donating to earthquake relief to get singled out is beyond me. Yes, the title is direct and to the point, but that's what titles are supposed to be. I hardly think the post is offensive in anyway (and that amex disclosure language defaults to every post, there are no affiliate links of any kind in that post).

If an airline wants to encourage their customers to donate to the earthquake relief by partnering with charities and sweetening the pot with miles I think that's great and I'm happy to spread the word.

It would be idyllic to live in a world where everyone takes the time to open their wallets for every need that is out there without reminders or incentives, but it doesn't work that way.

If 250-1,000 airline miles encourages some folks to action in supporting what must be a huge need, then great. If my post helps that offer reach more people, that's outstanding. If a few folks don't like me writing about it, or don't like a headline about earning miles by donating to earthquake relief, then I'm okay with that.

If the worst thing a blogger has written about is a post encouraging donations to those in need then we have a pretty solid community indeed.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:14 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mommy Points
If 250-1,000 airline miles encourages some folks to action in supporting what must be a huge need, then great. If my post helps that offer reach more people, that's outstanding. If a few folks don't like me writing about it, or don't like a headline about earning miles by donating to earthquake relief, then I'm okay with that.

If the worst thing a blogger has written about is a post encouraging donations to those in need then we have a pretty solid community indeed.
I tend to agree with you.... only the title is a bit crass.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:56 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RTW1
I tend to agree with you.... only the title is a bit crass.
Which was my comment on the page. I think her intentions is great but there was a better way to title the article, at least in my opinion.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by f0xx

Really the most tasteless and tacky? She didn't ask for people to donate $25,000 so that she could fly "for the readers". In the past 5 years I've seen several bloggers post about similar promotions on similar things and there has never been much if any backlash.

Originally Posted by Mommy Points
I'm happy to respond here, too. Of all the sometimes questionable tactics and ways to earn miles and points that are posted to blogs and here on Flyertalk, for a post about donating to earthquake relief to get singled out is beyond me.
I agree with you. You aren't getting a huge sum of miles for donating. It's not a deal people are going to "work" or "milk". I'm not sure why people are taking issue with this.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Really the most tasteless and tacky? She didn't ask for people to donate $25,000 so that she could fly "for the readers". In the past 5 years I've seen several bloggers post about similar promotions on similar things and there has never been much if any backlash.

I agree with you. You aren't getting a huge sum of miles for donating. It's not a deal people are going to "work" or "milk". I'm not sure why people are taking issue with this.
I agree as well, really don't see anything wrong with the post itself. We periodically see airlines - and occasionally other loyalty programs - offer such bonuses after a major disaster. The offer usually gets publicized in various blogs and on FT.

UA's current front-page banner states:

Donate to support earthquake relief efforts in Nepal
Earn miles while helping those in need
If someone feels UA's offer is in poor taste then I suppose it follows that the MommyPoints post is as well. But I don't see how MommyPoint's blog post title is any better or worse than UA's home page banner...they're both pretty much saying the same thing. The post content itself seemed fine.
Old May 1, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
There's an awful lot of stuff that I don't click on and, normally, I'd never say anything.

This morning I'll make an exception. Points & Pixie Dust's post today is headlined "Would you . . . dufl?"

I have no idea what this is about -- as I said, there's a lot I don't click on -- and I'm not even sure what language this is in. I speak a few languages and at least recognize a few others, but this one has me stumped. For sure it's not English.

Or is this supposed to be clever?
Old May 1, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
There's an awful lot of stuff that I don't click on and, normally, I'd never say anything.

This morning I'll make an exception. Points & Pixie Dust's post today is headlined "Would you . . . dufl?"

I have no idea what this is about -- as I said, there's a lot I don't click on -- and I'm not even sure what language this is in. I speak a few languages and at least recognize a few others, but this one has me stumped. For sure it's not English.

Or is this supposed to be clever?
I took one for the team and clicked Apparently it refers to a company named "DUFL" that will store and ship freshly laundered suitcase full of clothing for your trip...for $10 a month and $100 per trip.
Old May 11, 2015, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Ham Samich
In the most recent example of shamelessly sh!*$y Gary is,

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....m-first-class/

Then proceeds to explain that the family politely asked to purchase a first class meal.

gAAry leff - fighting PR battles against people with Autism for the sake of CC affiliate income since 2015

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.