Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Heels First Travel
http://heelsfirsttravel.boardingarea...comment-431235

I think she's replaced TPG as the blog with the worst photo quality. It looks like she's taking her photos on a first generation iPhone.
Some pictures look good but others look grainy. Not sure why the difference.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 3:51 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It looks like she's taking her photos on a first generation iPhone.
Samsung Galaxy S4: http://regex.info/exif.cgi?dummy=on&...%3D620%252C349
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:43 pm
Community Director Emerita

Heels First Travel
http://heelsfirsttravel.boardingarea...comment-431235

I think she's replaced TPG as the blog with the worst photo quality. It looks like she's taking her photos on a first generation iPhone.
Regardless, I like the report. I've only heard about the property recently, and it was great to read her perspective.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Regardless, I like the report. I've only heard about the property recently, and it was great to read her perspective.
I thought so, too. I think the blog is generally pretty good, but would be improved by some better or more consistent photo quality. At the very least, not posting sideways pictures would help.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm more concerned with the fact that most of them are sideways.
The sideways photo issue is a known and long-standing problem for many of us. I have the same problem with iPhone photos. The problem is that they can appear correctly oriented on non-Apple devices.

It has frankly been one of the reasons I've blogged less frequently because I have to take photos from my phone, transfer them to a desktop, resale them, and then load them to WordPress to prevent issues. I don't travel with the laptop I can do this on so often it means it's days before I can edit photos and often the timeliness of my intended post is gone.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by techgirl
The sideways photo issue is a known and long-standing problem for many of us. I have the same problem with iPhone photos. The problem is that they can appear correctly oriented on non-Apple devices.

It has frankly been one of the reasons I've blogged less frequently because I have to take photos from my phone, transfer them to a desktop, resale them, and then load them to WordPress to prevent issues. I don't travel with the laptop I can do this on so often it means it's days before I can edit photos and often the timeliness of my intended post is gone.
Seems like a decent camera would be a worthwhile investment for pro bloggers. Doesn't have to be a DSLR, just a compact point-and-shoot will produce pics as good or better than a camera phone and takes up only a trivial amount of extra space traveling.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
There are many, many great places to go in the Middle East; Dubai's just not one of them. They do have hotels there, I guess. With bling. For cheap. For a reason. Ugh.

OMaaT's solution to the picture issue is, as suggested above, a point-and-shoot. His pictures are almost always quite serviceable -- decently lighted with ok resolution -- if not up to true "photographer" standards. (There's a post on which camera he uses, but I'm too lazy to look it up.)
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Seems like a decent camera would be a worthwhile investment for pro bloggers. Doesn't have to be a DSLR, just a compact point-and-shoot will produce pics as good or better than a camera phone and takes up only a trivial amount of extra space traveling.
Doesn't solve my editing issue. I won't travel with two laptops and I don't use my work laptop to do blog work (including edit photos) so if I can't do it on my iPad or a general use computer in a hotel/lounge, it's not getting done.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Doesn't solve my editing issue. I won't travel with two laptops and I don't use my work laptop to do blog work (including edit photos) so if I can't do it on my iPad or a general use computer in a hotel/lounge, it's not getting done.
Bottomline is you can't post photos sideways. It's unprofessional. I think that's what everyone is trying to tell you. Trying to rationalize doesn't make it any less unprofessional.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:37 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Bottomline is you can't post photos sideways. It's unprofessional. I think that's what everyone is trying to tell you. Trying to rationalize doesn't make it any less unprofessional.
Did you read what she wrote? She doesn't. I'm not sure why you are trying to chastise someone who is not guilty of this practice.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Did you read what she wrote? She doesn't. I'm not sure why you are trying to chastise someone who is not guilty of this practice.
I did read it. The reason why doesn't matter. All that matters is readers are viewing them sideways which is unprofessional. You don't get that?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:11 pm

You mentioned your iPhone in a manner that sounded like it was the root cause, so hence the suggestion. I guess maybe I'm not following what the issue is - is the sideways problem when pics are uploaded to the blogging platform from any source?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Let me recommend the 'Image Rotation Fixer' plug-in.

"Automatically fixes the rotation of JPEG images using PHP's EXIF extension, immediately after they are uploaded to the server."

Works perfectly, I too had a similar issue when uploading photos from my iPhone.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:32 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by TMM1982
I did read it. The reason why doesn't matter. All that matters is readers are viewing them sideways which is unprofessional. You don't get that?
Techgirl said she blogs less because she refuses to post photos sideways. @:-)

The blogger with the sideways photos is a different blogger.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
I love my Sonys for that reason. With the camera's wifi feature I can connect my iphone or ipad to it, transfer whatever pictures I need, edit in Lightroom Mobile, and throw into a post if I don't have my laptop with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.