Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by TMM1982
How much do these bloggers make if they're pushing CC's hard? Are we talking 50k or something a lot higher?
$1m+ for the main BA guys.

Sounds like a lot, but it isn't. At $100 a card that is only 10,000 cards a year or 200 per week. Gary has 40,000 people just on his email list. Points Guy claims 1m unique monthly visitors (which I believe, as I have 150,000 and I run a tiny UK blog).

You also need to understand how the links work. They are 30 day cookies. You do NOT have to 'choose' to use someones links. If you click through to card website via a link on a blog, just to check out the small print for instance, the blogger gets paid if you apply via the same computer at any point in the next month. The cookies are normally brand-wide as well, so even if you apply for a totally different card from the same issuer they are still paid.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Raffles
$1m+ for the main BA guys.

Sounds like a lot, but it isn't. At $100 a card that is only 10,000 cards a year or 200 per week. Gary has 40,000 people just on his email list. Points Guy claims 1m unique monthly visitors (which I believe, as I have 150,000 and I run a tiny UK blog).

You also need to understand how the links work. They are 30 day cookies. You do NOT have to 'choose' to use someones links. If you click through to card website via a link on a blog, just to check out the small print for instance, the blogger gets paid if you apply via the same computer at any point in the next month. The cookies are normally brand-wide as well, so even if you apply for a totally different card from the same issuer they are still paid.
So 1) why wouldn't every Joe Schmo try to write blogs at BA? Seems like a decent way to scrape by a decent living?

And 2) TPG (as far as I know) has his own business and isn't affiliated with BA. Meaning all affiliate link comp is his and his alone. I'm assuming BA takes a big cut from any of its bloggers.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
BA takes no cut of affiliate income at all AFAIK. They only take a cut of advertising revenue.

You're right, TPG is not part of BA. I only mention him because he makes his readership figures public.

The reason everyone doesn't do it is because it is hard work. My site is now a full-time job (well, full-time hours, although I have the luxury of setting my own). For every hour you spend writing (and I am doing 21 articles a week so that is a lot of hours) you should assume another hour answering reader emails and queries and another hour dealing with affiliates and advertisers. That is before you start dealing with tax, site layout, site redesigns etc.

At the same time, it will take you a decent amount of time to get to a position where the card companies will deal with you. For a couple of years you are relying on just the advertising income.

You also need to be able to write well, of course.

So, basically, IF you have the right mix of writing and business ability AND you are prepared to work flat out for a couple of years without a huge return then eventually you MAY get to a position where the card companies will deal with you.

It is not a complete coincidence that Frequent Miler and I followed a similar trajectory, being laid off with long notice periods which gave us time to get traction before the making the call on whether to get a 'proper' job or push on with our blogs. Ben / Lucky and Scott / Travel Codex both started whilst at college (and Scott developed it in the time after leaving and whilst looking for a 'proper' job). Gary does not work full time in his real job, I believe, and has no family which makes it easier for him (he has written that, I am not putting words in his mouth I hope).

Last edited by Raffles; Jun 30, 2015 at 7:24 am
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
So 1) why wouldn't every Joe Schmo try to write blogs at BA? Seems like a decent way to scrape by a decent living?
Because you don't get affiliate links handed to you without a track record of regular traffic. Also once you have the affiliate contracts in place you need to deliver about 150 sign ups each month, or else you loose your contract.

In other news: It seems BAs ad revenue took another hit this month. Now some type of ads pay less. Curious what the HOM has up the innovation pipeline, the BArea business model is maturing fast...
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite

You also need to be able to write well,
While this should matter, the poor writing ability (or proofreading ability) of even the very successful P&M blogs seems to indicate otherwise. There are some exceptions of course.
nineworldseries likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
But not many exceptions. The writing's mostly just terrible. Some don't even know how to tell (and pace) a decent story.

Last edited by FallenPlat; Jun 30, 2015 at 11:57 am Reason: typo fix
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
But non many exceptions. The writing's mostly just terrible. Some don't even know how to tell (and pace) a decent story.
The future of Boarding Area:
http://nymag.com/news/features/buzzfeed-2013-4/
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 84fiero
poor writing ability (or proofreading ability) of even the very successful P&M blogs seems to indicate otherwise. There are some exceptions of course.
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
But not many exceptions.
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...late-post.html

Originally Posted by IMH
occasional or one off visitors. TPG and MMS seem to be best at SEO
MMS is very different from ben

How much do these bloggers make if they're pushing CC's hard? Are we talking 50k or something a lot higher?
Remember that only MMS, [FTG] and Points Guy did enough Amex volume to retain their links - with everyone else chopped, even Ben and Gary.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:21 am
Suspended

My new least favorite blogger: Economy Class and Beyond. UK based blog? I caught NO less than 18 errors on the past 3 posts. 18!!!

The substance is absolutely garbage.

Don't mean to offend the writer or anyone involved, but this is a poor effort at best.

A shame, because I actually fly a decent amt of Econ and would like a bloggers take..
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:18 pm

Looks like a certain BA blogger doesn't know the difference between Grenada and Granada. Reminds me of those new stories where a couple lands in the wrong country due to a similar mistake.

http://michaelwtravels.boardingarea.....QH2By6y4.dpbs
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:37 pm
Formerly known as MLW20

Programs: AA LT GOLD, Delta, UA/Continental & many others
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Looks like a certain BA blogger doesn't know the difference between Grenada and Granada. Reminds me of those new stories where a couple lands in the wrong country due to a similar mistake.

http://michaelwtravels.boardingarea.....QH2By6y4.dpbs
Of course I know the difference, it's called a typo... Thanks for pointing it out though.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by MichaelWTravels
Of course I know the difference, it's called a typo... Thanks for pointing it out though.
No problem
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:08 pm

And 2) TPG (as far as I know) has his own business and isn't affiliated with BA. Meaning all affiliate link comp is his and his alone. I'm assuming BA takes a big cut from any of its bloggers.
If I recall correctly - TPG is actually owned by Bankrate...
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and IB acquired FTG
Old Jul 10, 2015, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
One Simple Trick to Stop Clickbait from Annoying You

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.