Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
I hate being serious for a moment but this morning I came across what I think is the worst blog post that I've ever read by anyone, anywhere: Points and Pixie Dust's "My advice? Stay away from the Louvre in Paris." Apparently what is incontestably, beyond peradventure, one of the world's best museums can get very crowded in August and so you shouldn't go there -- at all. The accompanying photo, predictably enough, shows a big room full of camera-toting tourists snapping away in front of the Mona Lisa. What more need be said?
After all of the milking of this trip and this is her take on the Louvre? Amazing. It's a shame she couldn't have bothered to do some research and plan days of the week, and times of day, to visit. Breaking up the Louvre into more than one visit (easy to do with the Paris Museums Pass) and targeting the best times to stop by, help greatly with the crowds. Also, not using the pyramid entrance helps a great deal.

Sure the Mona Lisa can be crowded, but if that's all she really cared to see, then why bother. The Louvre is so much more than that! Simply advising not to go there seems rather unhelpful. But hey, Boarding Area - Required reading for frequent flyers

I also see her recent post "Beware of These 4 Things in Paris":

1. Lack of public restrooms

2. Sundays (everything is closed)

3. Les Vacances. Sigh. Did you know that everyone in France goes on vacation during the month of August?

This appeared to be a surprise to her. I thought this was a very well-known fact.

4. Dead birds

No idea on this one...

However, P&PD "loves Paris" so there you go...
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:48 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
this morning I came across what I think is the worst blog post that I've ever read by anyone, anywhere: Points and Pixie Dust's "My advice? Stay away from the Louvre in Paris."
You were kinder to PPD in this very thread just a couple of days ago:

Points & Pixie Dust is usually very skippable, I'll agree, but at least she really does know Paris.
In fairness to PPD, from various things she's posted it's clear that she does know France rather better than most US-based bloggers. She spent time there as a student and learnt the language. But that doesn't make her recent Paris posts worth reading unless you happen to be a friend or family member -- something that applies to an awful lot of "what I did on my holidays" blog posts, unfortunately.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by 84fiero
After all of the milking of this trip and this is her take on the Louvre? Amazing. It's a shame she couldn't have bothered to do some research and plan days of the week, and times of day, to visit. Breaking up the Louvre into more than one visit (easy to do with the Paris Museums Pass) and targeting the best times to stop by, help greatly with the crowds. Also, not using the pyramid entrance helps a great deal.

Sure the Mona Lisa can be crowded, but if that's all she really cared to see, then why bother. The Louvre is so much more than that! Simply advising not to go there seems rather unhelpful. But hey, Boarding Area - Required reading for frequent flyers

1. Lack of public restrooms

2. Sundays (everything is closed)

3. Les Vacances. Sigh. Did you know that everyone in France goes on vacation during the month of August?

This appeared to be a surprise to her. I thought this was a very well-known fact.

4. Dead birds

No idea on this one...

However, P&PD "loves Paris" so there you go...
That someone would actually follow her blog and take her advice is very sad. She is doing, as many at BA are doing, a disservice to the readers with that post. As mentioned a little research on her part would have helped. If she lived in France she should have known that France basically is on vacation in August. I have been to Paris 15 times and still make a visit to the Louvre part of my itinerary.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Yes, I was most certainly kinder to Points and Pixie Dust above, which is why the Louvre post is all the more bizarre. As 84fiero points out, references to the Museum Pass (true magic if there ever were any), the non-Pyramid entrances (magic again), and a few advance-planning recommendations might've actually been helpful to some people. I mean, really, if you're not at all interested in something, why bother even sending a postcard to a friend about it let alone publishing an entire blog post for all the world to see?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I got one blog post that just surpasses, well, everything!

Canadian Kilometers posted

Lifemiles 100% Purchase Promotion Returns!

Can you believe the nerve, wow!

And links to post titled "Lifemiles Tricks and Strategy"...This makes me angry
Old Sep 2, 2014, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by gpapadop
I got one blog post that just surpasses, well, everything!

Canadian Kilometers posted

Lifemiles 100% Purchase Promotion Returns!

Can you believe the nerve, wow!

And links to post titled "Lifemiles Tricks and Strategy"...This makes me angry
Does he have a link on how to kill LM tricks and file DOT complaints! He IS and expert on that.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by cruisr
Does he have a link on how to kill LM tricks and file DOT complaints! He IS and expert on that.
Well he did have the gall to include this tidbit:

Would I recommend transferring miles through this promo?
Many people here do like to purchase miles to redeem for discounted routes that are available through glitches. However, Lifemiles have had a history for devaluing their programs, as well as fixing glitches, so I wouldn’t stock up on them.
(bolding mine)

I thought that was rather...rich, shall we say.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:51 pm

Like Oliver2002, I'm afraid I just skip most of BA these days and so I hadn't even seen TheEUFlyer. I'll have to start stopping by to see how the EU travel cognoscenti really live!
Well I was maltapoints.com up until a couple of weeks ago (my scope was being a touch hampered by focusing on the EU's smallest country), so I won't hold it against you.

I will make sure I keep an eye on this thread, it shouldn't be too long before I get the honour of one of my posts being Golden Raspberried by you lot
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
After all of the milking of this trip and this is her take on the Louvre? Amazing.
I think, perchance, there is method in her madness: she is designing a template, a portion of which would read: "MY ADVICE? STAY AWAY FROM THE [major tourist attraction] IN [large city]"
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum

I guess her audience found the advice valuable. One even provided an additional helpful "tip" for August travel:

"but the one thing that guidebooks don’t say explicitly about Paris in August is that the city is mobbed with people from Asia. They might say that the city has lots of “tourists” in August, but you are left to assume that it will mostly be Americans doing their darnedest to act french. It is anything from that case. "
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by stackm
I guess her audience found the advice valuable. One even provided an additional helpful "tip" for August travel:

"but the one thing that guidebooks don’t say explicitly about Paris in August is that the city is mobbed with people from Asia. They might say that the city has lots of “tourists” in August, but you are left to assume that it will mostly be Americans doing their darnedest to act french. It is anything from that case. "
OMG. Some people should not be issued passports. What a small minded statement to make. I guess this solves the mystery of what people would read that blog or follow her advice. I just re read that and I am stunned.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:53 pm

OMG. Some people should not be issued passports. What a small minded statement to make. I guess this solves the mystery of what people would read that blog or follow her advice. I just re read that and I am stunned.
Apparently so. Geez. People like that make me embarrassed to be an American traveler.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:04 pm

After all of the milking of this trip and this is her take on the Louvre? Amazing. It's a shame she couldn't have bothered to do some research and plan days of the week, and times of day, to visit.
I did a rough count of ~42 blog entries based on one trip.

To be fair, if she has spent time living in Paris 10 years ago I have to wonder if this post was an attempt to get more people to read her blog entry (after seeing it on the front page) by motivating them to talk about their own personal travel experiences. This comes from the same person who had the title asking if parents should give their children Ambien.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:01 pm

OMG. Some people should not be issued passports.
Going to Paris in August is the most moronic thing to do, everyone who
has had any interest in France knows that...
So this "expert" writes 50 posts about Paris, yeah, I need to follow that blog for sure!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Big_Foot
Going to Paris in August is the most moronic thing to do, everyone who
has had any interest in France knows that...
So this "expert" writes 50 posts about Paris, yeah, I need to follow that blog for sure!
Big_Foot, I love your pictures. You are very talented.

Yeah, I guess that P&PD follows the quantity not quality credo for posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.