Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
They are writing for a particular audience (american looking to see the world on CC points) so .... Remember how drew went to Bora Bora or some other overwater hotel place with their bags stuffed full of groceries?
I have friends who went to Bora Bora with bags full of groceries and didn't use any of their load of points for their stays there. Some people just have different idea of what's a good way to spend money or not. I can't say that the food in French Polynesia is all that great, but then again who goes there just because of the food?

Originally Posted by Raffles
This opens up a bigger broader question, though, which is 'why bother?'. UNLESS you are on Hyatt credit card free nights - when you might as well Vendome for the heck of it - staying in a luxury hotel but going out for breakfast, evening drinks and every other meal is a little bit pointless.

Unless there are location reasons, even on a points stay you might as well save a few and stay somewhere cheaper. If you're not careful you realise you ended up spending literally one hour awake in the hotel which made the cost, cash or points, a bad deal ....

(For clarity, I am as guilty as anyone else on FT for doing this at times. And I have even less of an excuse than most as I do have the cash - it is often done because I am travelling alone and I'd rather grab a take out from somewhere than sit alone in the hotel restaurant.)
Even when staying in a luxury hotel in a big city, why limit yourself to anything at the hotel? An American audience usually has more limited paid vacation than a British or German audience has. And when time is more limited for exploring and you're in a major city with lots of options outside the door that perhaps provide much better value for money, it seems like the order of the day would be to get out and stop wasting time in the hotel room, right?

If using points for award nights rather than promotional awards for award nights, then Vendoming it seems like a more questionable pursuit. But the Hyatt credit card comes mostly come with promotional award nights for the "sign-up" bonus, until the "sign-up" changes to points (as is already scheduled).

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 28, 2017 at 4:44 am
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:53 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Raffles
This opens up a bigger broader question, though, which is 'why bother?'. UNLESS you are on Hyatt credit card free nights - when you might as well Vendome for the heck of it - staying in a luxury hotel but going out for breakfast, evening drinks and every other meal is a little bit pointless.

Unless there are location reasons, even on a points stay you might as well save a few and stay somewhere cheaper. If you're not careful you realise you ended up spending literally one hour awake in the hotel which made the cost, cash or points, a bad deal ....

(For clarity, I am as guilty as anyone else on FT for doing this at times. And I have even less of an excuse than most as I do have the cash - it is often done because I am travelling alone and I'd rather grab a take out from somewhere than sit alone in the hotel restaurant.)
We've paid for Vendome. It's pretty nice.

But last time in Paris a few weeks ago we VRBO'd. For 78 euros a night we had a lovely one bedroom flat larger than the suites at the Hyatt and with a private terrace. Had a full size fridge and a kitchen.

The points and miles bloggers won't want to hear it, but if one wants luxury on the cheap, there are better ways than points and miles. @:-)
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even when staying in a luxury hotel in a big city, why limit yourself to anything at the hotel? An American audience usually has more limited paid vacation than a British or German audience has. And when time is more limited for exploring and you're in a major city with lots of options outside the door that perhaps provide much better value for money, it seems like the order of the day would be to get out and stop wasting time in the hotel room, right?
And many a hotel restaurant, even a luxury one in the broader discussion, rather cruises along on a presumed somewhat captive audience that wants an easier option and isn't necessarily on par with the independent restaurant in a similar tier or type down the road.

I'm not much of a fine dining person but the time we do, it's very unlikely to be at a hotel restaurant.

As for 'act like you've been there before', I've actually had good luck over the years going the other direction, and very politely saying we don't usually do X, but if you wanted something special, what would you do. Seeming humble is apparently enough of a novelty for someone who usually gets been there-done that crowd that they'll give me good advice just for the heck of it.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Is this guy for real? http://thepointsoflife.boardingarea....-hotel-review/. Yes, there are rich people who really do pay 29 euro for drinks. And no, most who stay in the Park Hyatt Vendome don't search the streets of Paris for the nearest McDonald's so they can bring food back to their rooms: http://thepointsoflife.boardingarea....sine-birthday/.

And you rarely see the rich gushing over eating Olive Garden in Manhattan: http://thepointsoflife.boardingarea....-italian-food/.

I know it's a complete (and I mean, a complete) waste of my time to read this mess, but it's the train wreck I seem to want to watch right now.
In a Boarding Area full of complete garbage "blogs," it's actually pretty impressive that this guy has managed to stand out as the most garbage of them all.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:08 am

With Mommy Points going upscale, I've wondered if there was a gap in mid-range travel blogging and exposing Americans to unfamiliar but generally reliable 2-3 star options.

But then I'm arrogant enough about my writing ability that I think I could come up with something interesting and amusing about a stay at an Ibis Styles in Amsterdam or Motel One in Basel.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by beachmouse
And many a hotel restaurant, even a luxury one in the broader discussion, rather cruises along on a presumed somewhat captive audience that wants an easier option and isn't necessarily on par with the independent restaurant in a similar tier or type down the road.

I'm not much of a fine dining person but the time we do, it's very unlikely to be at a hotel restaurant.

As for 'act like you've been there before', I've actually had good luck over the years going the other direction, and very politely saying we don't usually do X, but if you wanted something special, what would you do. Seeming humble is apparently enough of a novelty for someone who usually gets been there-done that crowd that they'll give me good advice just for the heck of it.
Sorry, probably didn't make my meaning clear--I don't mean that a tourist should fake the knowledge and not try to get some local flavor from a reliable source. Gosh, taking the time to learn a little bit about the place you're visiting before you get there can really open doors with locals who appreciate that you've taken the time to learn about their place. I just meant that this guy seems to be just the kind to act just like a caricature of a tourist--notice that when he got comped a drink, he gravitated to the most expensive thing on the menu, that he knew nothing about (and then complained about), rather than having something that he might know he would like or asking for a recommendation from the bartender.

I get the impression that the main reason he went to Paris was to go to the Vendome, not that he had a strong desire to go to Paris. When I suddenly had time open up over the Fourth of July weekend, I decided to fit in a trip to a place that I've looked forward to seeing for years but that no blogger would probably ever try to pump as an "aspirational" destination--Halifax and Nova Scotia. I'll fly there by points--United has decently timed service through EWR although I'm likely not getting "high value" for my points--and I'll use UR points to rent a car.

But I bypassed using chain hotels in Halifax although there are some decent options, choosing instead to use university accommodations at Saint Mary's. In addition to VRBO and airbnb, I've found that summer stays in many cities can be done very cheaply at university dorms. Not luxurious although not totally spartan either as I'll have a bath in the room rather than on the hall, and the location, just off downtown Halifax is extremely central for my purposes. And once I go into rural Nova Scotia, there won't be a chain hotel anywhere.

Who knows? I may be disappointed. Maybe my image of Nova Scotia won't fit the reality. But I'll be going somewhere I really think I want to visit.

And I won't come close to any McDonald's while there.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:39 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

When I suddenly had time open up over the Fourth of July weekend, I decided to fit in a trip to a place that I've looked forward to seeing for years but that no blogger would probably ever try to pump as an "aspirational" destination--Halifax and Nova Scotia.
I found Halifax and Nova Scotia to be nice — but not anything incredible, in my opinion.

I enjoyed smoked salmon at the invitation of someone in his home; visited Peggy’s Cove; and explored some of the landscape. I did not have time to do more; but there seemed to be nothing spectacular there.

Then again, I have not been there in years. Enjoy your trip — I believe that you will have a good time — and please post a trip report when you have the opportunity.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:48 am

And I won't come close to any McDonald's while there.
Never say never. In areas where public restrooms are rare and poorly maintained, I find that buying the cheapest soft drink on the fast food value menu in exchange for a group of 2-4 effectively getting rights to use the toilets there to often be a really good option.

Yes, I've gotten the one euro Coca Cola Light at a McDonalds on Les Champs Elysees precisely for that reason.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Never say never. In areas where public restrooms are rare and poorly maintained, I find that buying the cheapest soft drink on the fast food value menu in exchange for a group of 2-4 effectively getting rights to use the toilets there to often be a really good option.

Yes, I've gotten the one euro Coca Cola Light at a McDonalds on Les Champs Elysees precisely for that reason.
I'm embarrassed to say that on my first trip to Italy five years ago, my first meal in Florence was at the McDonald's just outside the Santa Maria Novella train station. After an overnight flight to Rome and a train to Florence, I stepped off the train starving. And as much as I tried to resist, the location just outside the train station was impossible to ignore.

So I've had my never say never moment--which is exactly how I view it, unlike some bloggers who took pictures of their feast on their bed at the Vendome.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I found Halifax and Nova Scotia to be nice — but not anything incredible, in my opinion.

I enjoyed smoked salmon at the invitation of someone in his home; visited Peggy’s Cove; and explored some of the landscape. I did not have time to do more; but there seemed to be nothing spectacular there.

Then again, I have not been there in years. Enjoy your trip — I believe that you will have a good time — and please post a trip report when you have the opportunity.
Part of my trip will be spent at Cabot Links in Inverness, a golf resort with two highly ranked courses. The developers also did Bandon Dunes in Oregon which I have visited and found to be a tremendous locale. The reviews indicate that Cabot may well be better. Add in a visit to the Glenora Distillery, a drive along the Cabot Trail, and Canada Day festivities, and I'm figuring I'll have a pleasant trip. And as a relief from Virginia summertime temperatures, I'm looking forward to cooler weather.

I have a very nice Canadian friend who thinks that the folks in Halifax may be the friendliest in Canada. I trust her judgment so I think I won't be disappointed about that either.

As I said, this is certainly not an "aspirational" trip in the bloggerverse, but it's a trip that I've delayed for too long. Different strokes for different folks. Or horses for courses. . .
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:07 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I have a very nice Canadian friend who thinks that the folks in Halifax may be the friendliest in Canada. I trust her judgment so I think I won't be disappointed about that either.
You will not be disappointed.
As I said, this is certainly not an "aspirational" trip in the bloggerverse, but it's a trip that I've delayed for too long. Different strokes for different folks. Or horses for courses. . .
I would have to agree.

For me, the aspirational trip is a rare and occasional trip which should be enjoyed as special and not taken for granted. It should not be the typical trip.

Then again, how many people will want to read about typical trips?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:50 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Is this guy for real? http://thepointsoflife.boardingarea....-hotel-review/. Yes, there are rich people who really do pay 29 euro for drinks. And no, most who stay in the Park Hyatt Vendome don't search the streets of Paris for the nearest McDonald's so they can bring food back to their rooms: http://thepointsoflife.boardingarea....sine-birthday/.

And you rarely see the rich gushing over eating Olive Garden in Manhattan: http://thepointsoflife.boardingarea....-italian-food/.

I know it's a complete (and I mean, a complete) waste of my time to read this mess, but it's the train wreck I seem to want to watch right now.
That pained me a little bit, physically. Particularly the Olive Garden bit.

Then again, how many people will want to read about typical trips?
I think it depends on how it's presented. Whether it's the Holiday Inn in Des Moines, or one in Paris, it's probably more typical of what someone may expect. Especially if the traveler doesn't have status. An in-depth review would be very interesting.

Alternatively, there's some good framing to be had for business travelers, e.g. "How to make your monthly flight, car rental and stay in Little Rock slightly nicer by accruing status." Especially with some kind of status/no status comparison. A newspaper I'm forgetting did something like that for air travel a few weeks back, with two journalists on the same flight, and it was an interesting read.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
That pained me a little bit, physically. Particularly the Olive Garden bit.

I think it depends on how it's presented. Whether it's the Holiday Inn in Des Moines, or one in Paris, it's probably more typical of what someone may expect. Especially if the traveler doesn't have status. An in-depth review would be very interesting.

Alternatively, there's some good framing to be had for business travelers, e.g. "How to make your monthly flight, car rental and stay in Little Rock slightly nicer by accruing status." Especially with some kind of status/no status comparison. A newspaper I'm forgetting did something like that for air travel a few weeks back, with two journalists on the same flight, and it was an interesting read.
Even more so, when you're in Little Rock, you've got to do the extra work to get outside the hotel and find the local places (while pitching the CSR at three points for dining with a local restaurant that's on the Rewards Network program for another five) that can offset the pain of business travel with really solid earning opportunities.

But I understand that might take really hard work to uncover those opportunities, and it's a lot easier to just scream, "get the [] hotel card, which will give you two nights anywhere!" Even if it's really two nights where you don't want to go.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The business traveller to Little Rock will not sign up for 5 credit cards in two years, so your average BArea blogger will not lift a finger to write for that audience.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
In a Boarding Area full of complete garbage "blogs," it's actually pretty impressive that this guy has managed to stand out as the most garbage of them all.
Yeah that can be his new tag line. The biggest garbage blog of all.
nineworldseries likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.