Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
I guess what I object to most is giving a platform -- any kind of platform -- to a bunch of semi-literate posts that evince an experience of the world so tiny that it would have to be measured in nanometers. I don't think they even make rulers that small.

I remain a cautious fan of a few of the blogs, which is why I keep reading. Or, more accurately, skimming and glancing.

And then, too, some of the posts are so bad that they're funny. There's always that.
Perhaps it's as much a symptom of the overall world we live in nowadays. Semi-literate, trite, vapid content seems to be growing in popularity all around. The younger folks lean so heavily on texting and similar shorthand that I'm not certain they would recognize bad grammar or poor writing if they tried. I don't claim to be perfect in my writing but I do try and I appreciate well written material.

I am still a regular reader of some BA blogs and skim others. When new blogs pop up I'll sometimes take a look to give them a chance but sometimes I just ignore them. To me that's part of the turnoff is the quantity over quality. But I guess if their numbers are up then it's working for them, at least for now. Some of these blogs though, I wonder how sustainable they will be in the long run.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I feel like "travel hacking" is becoming somewhat of a fad among the general public, so it's likely traffic has increased because more people are trying to jump on the bandwagon; it's certainly not because quality has increased. Correlation =/= causation.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Ah, and then there are some blog posts that are just . . . too funny.

http://www.jeffsetter.com/the-chase-...ule-is-unfair/

We need a whole blog post to tell us that life is unfair? Who knew?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium

I'm shocked, shocked, to be advised of this. I really hope at least one other person gets what I am saying here.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:40 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

I had to stop here. I mean I had to stop hear.

Originally Posted by cruisr
I'm shocked, shocked, to be advised of this. I really hope at least one other person gets what I am saying here.

The irony, of course, is that bloggers like this getting rich off of churners are a big part of the reason 5/24 was implemented in the first place.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Yeah, that's just one aspect of why this is so funny!

And then there's the buck naked naivete of complaining about how Chase isn't being fair.

And then there's never having heard of just about the most basic financial rule there is, namely, He who has the gold makes the rules.

And there's the pathetically transparent attempt to hide the ball, which is the sign-up bonus. Converting from another card? Let's hide that ball, right?

And then there's the sense of outraged entitlement that, frankly, is just one beautiful sight to behold.

And then there's the evident self-awareness of a gnat.

And then for a real laugh -- for the comparison! -- there's the up-front and adult way One Mile at a Time handled the application process. Successfully, of course.

I could go on and on, of course, and I've probably missed your favorite laugh-aspect, but this is all that struck me up front.

I'm still laughing . . . .
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:14 am

And now, a completely riveting tale of a stay at the Country Inn & Suites Indianapolis Airport. Hope you weren't expecting pictures, details, a review, or anything else to make it even a little bit interesting.

http://michaelwtravels.boardingarea....ays-bad-thing/
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
And now, a completely riveting tale of a stay at the Country Inn & Suites Indianapolis Airport. Hope you weren't expecting pictures, details, a review, or anything else to make it even a little bit interesting.

http://michaelwtravels.boardingarea....ays-bad-thing/
But the Country Inn & Suites Indianapolis Airport is on my bucket list!
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Originally Posted by 84fiero
But the Country Inn & Suites Indianapolis Airport is on my bucket list!
Challenge accepted.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: Enough
A cool new blog (not my'n, promise!): http://boomertraveller.com/ . They start with a points and miles post, so far mostly travel blogging, interested to see how it progresses!
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Ham Samich
With a disclaimer about accuracy and a post on understanding your credit score, this guy's a winner
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by durberville
A cool new blog (not my'n, promise!): http://boomertraveller.com/ . They start with a points and miles post, so far mostly travel blogging, interested to see how it progresses!
Thanks for the notice Durberville! As one of the contributors (yes, we are two people, not just one person) it is nice to start getting some traffic already - we had not planned on publicizing the site in any way until we had a few more posts up.
We are boomers ourselves, one archaeologist and one geologist; we have seen the world, but mostly at our employers' expense, so only started to get into travel hacking a few years ago.
Anyway, at least for now, we're just doing the blog for fun.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 6:58 am

And here's a post (and blog) that makes that last one I posted look actually solid and useful. I'm actually longing for the BA of a few months ago. They're not even pretending to try any more.

http://thepointsoflife.boardingarea....x-las-loungin/
Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by durberville
Looks like a good start indeed.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:58 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by trico
Thanks for the notice Durberville! As one of the contributors (yes, we are two people, not just one person) it is nice to start getting some traffic already - we had not planned on publicizing the site in any way until we had a few more posts up.
We are boomers ourselves, one archaeologist and one geologist; we have seen the world, but mostly at our employers' expense, so only started to get into travel hacking a few years ago.
Anyway, at least for now, we're just doing the blog for fun.
Good luck!!! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.