Boarding Area's Fall

Subscribe
Quote: This is where I am. Six years ago, when I was just out of college, churning was great. The game was still lucrative. I didn't have the money to buy even discounted premium cabins but I had a great credit score and churned my way to a couple premium vacations a year.

Now I'm further into my career and make enough money to just buy discounted J when it shows up. I still churn occasionally when there's a good deal or I get targeted for a lucrative offer, but other than that I just buy what I want.

There'd be good money is someone creating Scott's Cheap Flights for premium cabins. Maybe that exists and I just don't know? I'd pay for that subscription.

The days of churning AA miles by the bucketload were great but it's also nice to no longer care what Citi's current rules might be.
Already exists for free: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/

Although nothing stopping you or anyone from doing like most of the BA bloggers and scraping that information off of FlyerTalk, reformatting it and presenting it as one's own work! @:-)
Quote: Already exists for free: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/

Although nothing stopping you or anyone from doing like most of the BA bloggers and scraping that information off of FlyerTalk, reformatting it and presenting it as one's own work! @:-)
If you think that's the most complete collection or first to have most deals I'm afraid you should broaden your horizons. There's definitely an opportunity for more resources in this space, particularly for someone good at web scraping and data processing. In fact several are already in service, just focused on other markets.

FT is a great resource, but it is not the only option and, in this case, not at all complete.
Quote: If you think that's the most complete collection or first to have most deals I'm afraid you should broaden your horizons. There's definitely an opportunity for more resources in this space, particularly for someone good at web scraping and data processing. In fact several are already in service, just focused on other markets.

FT is a great resource, but it is not the only option and, in this case, not at all complete.
Very true. Now get to work!
Quote: If you think that's the most complete collection or first to have most deals I'm afraid you should broaden your horizons. There's definitely an opportunity for more resources in this space, particularly for someone good at web scraping and data processing. In fact several are already in service, just focused on other markets.

Indeed. When it comes to some of the most lucrative sourcing for travel-related deals which I land as of late, increasingly they've come from resources that seem to have little or nothing to do with FT and certainly are less likely to be in English than before.
Quote: Indeed. When it comes to some of the most lucrative sourcing for travel-related deals which I land as of late, increasingly they've come from resources that seem to have little or nothing to do with FT and certainly are less likely to be in English than before.
That makes sense. The 27 blogs that have joined BA aren't incomprehensible garbage. They're just written in pig latin.
Quote: That makes sense. The 27 blogs that have joined BA aren't incomprehensible garbage. They're just written in pig latin.
A seemingly higher proportion of BA blogs are in non-English than used to be the case 3-5 years ago. I take it as a sign of a sort of US market saturation in this area and wanting to tap the foreign-language travel deal market.

I'm certainly not the last to note that the BA blogs are less useful to me now than they used to be and of their quality on average being more questionable than even before.
Quote: A seemingly higher proportion of BA blogs are in non-English than used to be the case 3-5 years ago. I take it as a sign of a sort of US market saturation in this area and wanting to tap the foreign-language travel deal market.

I'm certainly not the last to note that the BA blogs are less useful to me now than they used to be and of their quality on average being more questionable than even before.
Actually you may very well be the last to do so. I guess Randy still hasn't.

Remember when Flyertalk was a community where people had a sense of humor rather than a constant war between people who have thoughts on things going on and people who want to defend bloggers and their ilk.
Ah, the fan boys!

Quote: Actually you may very well be the last to do so. I guess Randy still hasn't.

Remember when Flyertalk was a community where people had a sense of humor rather than a constant war between people who have thoughts on things going on and people who want to defend bloggers and their ilk.
It has come to my attention that one of the "Experts" on Boarding Area has flown halfway to the moon (<150k *lifetime* miles) and been to 15 countries. Wowwie zowwie. Where does Randy find such experts on travel?
cruisr likes this.
Quote: It has come to my attention that one of the "Experts" on Boarding Area has flown halfway to the moon (<150k *lifetime* miles) and been to 15 countries. Wowwie zowwie. Where does Randy find such experts on travel?
My 6 year old has done half of that (and all in premium cabins!). His new 'My airplane picshures' blog launches next week on BA.
Adam1222 likes this.
It's possible for someone to know more about miles/points than someone who has flown more than 1,500,000 miles -- as is true for some young adults who know way more about miles/points than some old flight crew personnel.

And it's possible for a person to fly over 150,000 miles and not know a thing about miles/points -- as is true of many of the young minors who are my relatives.
godsavethepoints likes this.
Quote: It's possible for someone to know more about miles/points than someone who has flown more than 1,500,000 miles -- as is true for some young adults who know way more about miles/points than some old flight crew personnel.

And it's possible for a person to fly over 150,000 miles and not know a thing about miles/points -- as is true of many of the young minors who are my relatives.

Thank you for that defense.
It is also possible that the blog is garbage.
Occam's razor, and all.
RFDMinnesota likes this.
Quote: Thank you for that defense.
It is also possible that the blog is garbage.
Occam's razor, and all.
Defense of what? Of not making superficial criticisms or praises about individuals based on the number of miles traveled and/or number of countries visited.

It's possible that a blog/blog entry is garbage, but that isn't a product of the number of miles traveled and/or of countries visited.

There is plenty of garbage coming out of people who have traveled way more than 150k miles and been to more than 15 countries. For example, there is a carpet-bagger occupant of a known address in the nation's capital who epitomizes that kind of person and loves attention by going on the attack or who knows what else. Would I find him to be a producer of good miles/points material in social media forums? No. But his famous social media rants grab plenty of attention.

So which miles/points blog is it that is famous for social media garbage produced by someone whose travel history is neither all that rich nor all that poor? Checking out garbage can have its purpose at times too, but spending too much time on garbage is a waste of time IMHO.
Jon Snow traveled all the way beyond the wall and still knows nothing.
kokonutz likes this.
Miles To Memories has to be making a hearty commission from that ripoff giftcard reseller site Card Cash that they post about each week and they're the only blog that does this. These scammers at Card Cash have hundreds of BBB complaints.