Go Back   > >
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 10, 17, 1:47 pm   #1096
  
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: AA Plat; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Carlson Marriott & SPG Gold
Posts: 3,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
I've never claimed such. I would LOVE to see the crap not promoted alongside my content. But I also know that I don't run the company. But there's also a difference between "can" and "must" when it comes to the organizational structure. An ad network can exercise such standards but it is not obligated to. Even if a group of folks here continue to demand such.

Would it be better for society as a whole if there was less crappy content published? Probably. Is it worth the endless rants here tipping at that windmill? I guess y'all think so.
The only reason it is "tipping at that windmill" is because you and other apologists let Randy off the hook. If you actually don't like seeing crap promoted alongside your content, there are ways you could do something about it, rather than rant at people who have the temerity to call out the crap. "It's Randy's company he's going to do what he wants, individual writers and content consumers just have to suck it up and should give up calling it out" - wow, so bold, so brave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
That's not what I presented/asked. If you think Vogue is publishing bad content would you discount the stories Wired publishes?
If Vogue consistently engaged in unethical journalistic conduct, yes, it would impact my view of Wired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post

Boarding Areas doesn't peddle products. That's my issue with the tirades here. They're focused on the wrong target.
If you go to boardingarea.com's main page, I just saw an ad for TD Bank and the new Delta Skymiles Amex. Indirectly, as an "ad network", it peddles far more. Events like BAcon facilitate sales formally; other connections facilitate sales more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post

What "transparency" do you want from Boarding Area? Should the company publish its ad rates? No way that's going to happen. What other data does Boarding Area create/possess that "should" be published?
1) A requirement that any ads masquerading as "advice" be clearly disclosed as such.
2) Rewriting the http://boardingarea.com/about-us/ page that is incredibly misleading and does not indicate the nature of the business it and its hosted blogs run. "The blogs you will find on BoardingArea are the best of the best, the cream of the crop, the cat’s meow… you get the idea. Each blog in the BoardingArea network has been hand selected by our team for its quality of content, its timeliness and, last but not least, for its entertainment value."
- You yourself have suggested THIS IS A LIE.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
I also don't know that any of the sites that Boarding Area aggregates/hosts claims to advocate for consumers or transparency in travel company practices. But I'll admit I haven't gone searching for mission statements on most of them.
You really seem to just be trying to be contrary here, but sure, here are some examples of BA bloggers taking travel providers to task for not being sufficiently transparent:
http://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.c...oking-classes/
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....yre-next-room/
http://andystravelblog.boardingarea....ing-new-video/


Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Nope. Just that it is irrelevant to the other points being made in this discussion.
This was a response to someone else saying BA cant be an expert because it doesnt have direct links.
Adam1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 17, 1:55 pm   #1097
  
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: AA Plat; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Carlson Marriott & SPG Gold
Posts: 3,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by baccarat_king View Post
And you are basing this on? I am assuming that you are expert in the compliance standards for credit cards, correct? And also are an expert and understand the compliance standards that the credit card companies require of bloggers?
"Expert" appears to be a loaded word for you, but, yes, I am quite familiar with the compliance approaches of large financial institutions, as well as their lobbying and political activity designed to ensure minimal enforcement or the relaxation of standards.

Based on your own logic, every blog with credit card links is following the banks' compliance standards scrupulously. Ergo, if I see a blog engaging in a practice, I know that is not prohibited by the bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baccarat_king View Post
I'm not going to pass judgement on what's good or not good for consumers. But, you seem to be holding the bloggers to a higher standard than the big banks. Perhaps, if the banks were held to a higher standard than this problem would be eradicated. I think going after AMEX, Citibank and Chase might be a better place to start.
Nope, I am equally an advocate for increased authority given to the CFPB and other regulatory institutions to protect consumers. And in appropriate fora, I am quite vocal in ways I think financial institutions in the US are harmful to consumers. But this is a thread about Boarding Area, which I didn't create.

And I think it should be easier to affect change at Boarding Area than at Citi, so long as people don't throw their hands up in the air and say "Well that's how Randy wants to do it so who are we to criticize his shlockpeddling."
Adam1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 17, 2:01 pm   #1098
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
  
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 67,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
Nope, I am equally an advocate for increased authority given to the CFPB and other regulatory institutions to protect consumers. And in appropriate fora, I am quite vocal in ways I think financial institutions in the US are harmful to consumers. But this is a thread about Boarding Area, which I didn't create.
Yet you appear to be holding Boarding Area to a standard above the requirements of the CFPB based on your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
And I think it should be easier to affect change at Boarding Area than at Citi, so long as people don't throw their hands up in the air and say "Well that's how Randy wants to do it so who are we to criticize his shlockpeddling."
Again, can v must.

Just because you want something to happen differently doesn't mean it will or even that it should.
sbm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 17, 2:07 pm   #1099
  
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: AA Plat; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Carlson Marriott & SPG Gold
Posts: 3,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Yet you appear to be holding Boarding Area to a standard above the requirements of the CFPB based on your comments.


Again, can v must.

Just because you want something to happen differently doesn't mean it will or even that it should.
Cute that you think you're teaching me that.
Thankfully, I don't live my life just staying silent about things that I think are wrong because they may not change or because some people don't agree with me. What a pathetic existence that would be. I couldn't imagine being upset that my writing was being displayed along crap, but simply accepting that as an unchangeable fate because some guy named Randy says it's so. I've gone up against folks a lot more powerful than the king of the deceptive miles marketing blogs; sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

(And there's a complex regulatory scheme here, involving both the FTC, CFPB, and state consumer laws. Plus I've been quite explicit and referred to ethical standards, which are not the same as legal standards. )
Adam1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 17, 7:37 pm   #1100
  
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 2,686
"The blogs you will find on BoardingArea are the best of the best, the cream of the crop, the cat’s meow… you get the idea. Each blog in the BoardingArea network has been hand selected by our team for its quality of content, its timeliness and, last but not least, for its entertainment value."

Meow
gpapadop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 17, 7:45 pm   #1101
  
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Programs: Mahalo Rewards
Posts: 4,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
"The blogs you will find on BoardingArea are the best of the best, the cream of the crop, the cat’s meow… you get the idea. Each blog in the BoardingArea network has been hand selected by our team for its quality of content, its timeliness and, last but not least, for its entertainment value."

Meow
I think some of their cats might have distemper...
84fiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 17, 8:28 pm   #1102
  
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: AA EP
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
I think some of their cats might have distemper...
or maybe 9 lives --- err 9 reasons I like the Chase sapphire card"
AAExecPlatFlier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 17, 6:30 am   #1103
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
  
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 83,954
Beating a cat that just won't die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
ALL he bloggers read this forum. Only few have the guts to post.

Kudos to them.
Not all the bloggers read this thread. I have no doubt about the fact that not all bloggers read this thread.

There isn't much for the FT-birthed miles/points bloggers to gain from engaging further in posting on FT in this thread, no less so when their posting elsewhere is where the money is.

I find the complaints about a lack of transparency over the commercial relationship between boardingarea.com and its hosted bloggers to be sort of amusing given private sector business-to-business/customer relationships as memorialized in contract aren't generally subject to being considered public records. And I say that as someone who thinks it is useful to understand the business of those supplying "information" but realizing that not all information is readily available in the public domain.

Some of the criticism of boardingarea.com reminds me of the dynamic of abusive individuals looking for any and every excuse to try to justify their abuse of a target/victim and continuing the abuse by the means available. Beating the proverbial cat with 9 lives is better or worse than beating a dead horse?

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 12, 17 at 6:36 am
GUWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 17, 8:58 am   #1104
  
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: AA Plat; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Carlson Marriott & SPG Gold
Posts: 3,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Beating a cat that just won't die?



Not all the bloggers read this thread. I have no doubt about the fact that not all bloggers read this thread.

There isn't much for the FT-birthed miles/points bloggers to gain from engaging further in posting on FT in this thread, no less so when their posting elsewhere is where the money is.

I find the complaints about a lack of transparency over the commercial relationship between boardingarea.com and its hosted bloggers to be sort of amusing given private sector business-to-business/customer relationships as memorialized in contract aren't generally subject to being considered public records. And I say that as someone who thinks it is useful to understand the business of those supplying "information" but realizing that not all information is readily available in the public domain.

Some of the criticism of boardingarea.com reminds me of the dynamic of abusive individuals looking for any and every excuse to try to justify their abuse of a target/victim and continuing the abuse by the means available. Beating the proverbial cat with 9 lives is better or worse than beating a dead horse?

Aw there he is. Smoochies.

Pretty outrageous to say Boarding Area is a victim of abuse. How lucky it is to have such noble defenders.... coming into restart attacks days after they died down by impugning the motives of people who had substantive criticism. This cat was dead, you brought it back.

Thanks as always for your valuable perspective.
But I agree, there should be more transparency in corporate consumer relationships.
Adam1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 17, 1:28 pm   #1105
  
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Posts: 780
I never realized how apparently nefarious and dastardly my blog is.
bthotugigem05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 17, 4:55 pm   #1106
  
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: AA Plat; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Carlson Marriott & SPG Gold
Posts: 3,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05 View Post
I never realized how apparently nefarious and dastardly my blog is.
No one has used those terms. They have described blogs as:
-poor quality content
-focused on quantity over quality
-poorly written
-lacking in sufficient disclosures about conflicts of interest
-relying on unsophisticated customers to make a buck

Actual specific, substantive critiques- Not strawman terms like "dastardly." I think many blog writers on BA don't even understand what a conflict of interest is. The quality of writing makes me skeptical that anyone is cunning.
Adam1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 17, 1:00 pm   #1107
  
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: CMH
Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Whatever, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,975
Absolute tone-deafness.
nineworldseries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 17, 5:03 am   #1108
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
  
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 83,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05 View Post
I never realized how apparently nefarious and dastardly my blog is.
Boardingarea.com bloggers who fail to accept the editorial dictatorship of all critical consumers are in a life and death battle between good and evil. Well, not really.

Consumers of content generally get what they deserve. Can't say that consumers of miles/points-related content are generally an exception.
GUWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 17, 8:23 am   #1109
  
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: AA Plat; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Carlson Marriott & SPG Gold
Posts: 3,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Boardingarea.com bloggers who fail to accept the editorial dictatorship of all critical consumers are in a life and death battle between good and evil. Well, not really.

Consumers of content generally get what they deserve. Can't say that consumers of miles/points-related content are generally an exception.
Interesting anti-consumer argument from someone who has in their profile "Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting."

I think this is an important post, though, as it shows an ideological basis for the consistent defense of blogs and abusive belittling of people who dare critique them. You think that there should be no protection of consumers from marketing masquerading as content, and that criticism of marketing is inappropriate.

For some of us, that is antithetical to deeply, and sincerely, held values. Constantly attacking the motivations of people who hold values that conflict with yours.

It is unclear why you think marketing devices used to sell credit cards should be exempt from criticism, yet airlines' frequent flyer programs or hotels should not be. If you think criticism or discussion of blogs and the marketing practices they engage is inappropriate, coming into a forum dedicated to that and consistently attacking people who dare to share their thoughts, critiques, seems like an unproductive use of your time. Bullying people to get them to stop speaking seems like a strange practice for someone who rants against "editorial dictatorship."
Adam1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 17, 11:08 am   #1110
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
  
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 83,954
It's not an anti-consumer argument. It's a sad fact that consumers who don't care enough to get informed and do what it takes to avoid getting fleeced and/or at least get engaged in pursuing more pro-consumer legislation/regulation implemented get what they deserve.

If someone keeps reading junk and enriching those who produce such content, they are not part of the solution to the proliferation of that kind of content. Same goes for other content. The audience for the content is the reason the market for the content is as _____ as it is. The audience sadly gets what it deserves.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 14, 17 at 11:15 am
GUWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Thread Tools
Search Thread
Go to Top
Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top