Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
DL wants a piece of JetAirways as a result of DL's concern about the impact of the GCC3 carriers on its future.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GUWonder
DL wants a piece of JetAirways as a result of DL's concern about the impact of the GCC3 carriers on its future.
There are obviously multiple factors at play, and the natural synergy between Jet- which flies to 3 Indian cities from Amsterdam- and Delta, which has a JV with KLM and flies to 9 US cities from AMS alone and doesn't have n/s service to one of the world's fastest growing economies. Yes, South Asia-US traffic right now is heavily covered by GCCs, but there are specifics about this market and transaction that make a lot of sense.

Now, OMG everyone Etihad is no longer subject to the laptop ban. The end of this massive injustice harming The readers of Boarding Area requires only 12 stories.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Adam1222
The end of this massive injustice harming The readers of Boarding Area requires only 12 stories.
Which of the blogs should be allowed to write about this news? And which should not?

Boarding Area is just a distribution platform for a bunch of independent authors, not an editorial platform with rules about what gets posted or by whom. And more of my traffic comes from non-BA sources than from BA. So why wouldn't I write about whatever stories I think are interesting (or that I think my readers would enjoy my views on) regardless of what the other BA writers are pushing? From my perspective more of my readers likely aren't seeing that other content.

I think it is annoying to see essentially the same headline across the site when that happens, but there's no good solution I've come up with short of an editorial control that would never work.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by sbm12
Which of the blogs should be allowed to write about this news? And which should not?

Boarding Area is just a distribution platform for a bunch of independent authors, not an editorial platform with rules about what gets posted or by whom. And more of my traffic comes from non-BA sources than from BA. So why wouldn't I write about whatever stories I think are interesting (or that I think my readers would enjoy my views on) regardless of what the other BA writers are pushing? From my perspective more of my readers likely aren't seeing that other content.

I think it is annoying to see essentially the same headline across the site when that happens, but there's no good solution I've come up with short of an editorial control that would never work.
It was just an example of the fetishization of Etihad by many Boarding Area blogs. In terms of news items, this particular item received disproportionate coverage, and, on some, with a tone that made it seem like no laptops on Etihad was the great social injustice of our time and now we are free.

I think there are 2 categories of critiques of Boarding Area: (1) those of the business itself (its lack of any editorial/ethical standards for its bloggers; its constant addition of new terribly written, contentless blogs) and (2) those of the content of BA blogs, particularly where there is a clear pattern.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond

All BA blogs other that TPG and MV...

Always so enthusiastic to pump more plastic! Which sales term is your favorite? Mine is "Hours Left"
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:01 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Stellar writing today on BAreas twitter feed:

Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Stellar writing today on BAreas twitter feed:
Points with a Crew gives 5 tips for visit Machu Picchu, but only posts 4 tips. Just lazy travel blog writing with advice that you'd expect to hear from someone who hardly travels... Walk slow, take in the sights, wear sun block, hiking is hard, etc..

Then gives bad or wrong advice. Telling people they should get a tour guide when they are now mandatory and then tells people to take a 45 min hike to get the "classic" Machu Picchu photo.

Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Then gives bad or wrong advice.
I'm confused. If the guides are mandatory then what about telling people to get one is wrong/bad?

And is it also wrong/bad to recommend getting a photo?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:56 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Points with a Crew gives 5 tips for visit Machu Picchu, but only posts 4 tips. Just lazy travel blog writing with advice that you'd expect to hear from someone who hardly travels... Walk slow, take in the sights, wear sun block, hiking is hard, etc..

Then gives bad or wrong advice. Telling people they should get a tour guide when they are now mandatory and then tells people to take a 45 min hike to get the "classic" Machu Picchu photo.

I LOVE his t-shirt!!!!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
I'm confused. If the guides are mandatory then what about telling people to get one is wrong/bad?

And is it also wrong/bad to recommend getting a photo?
Why would you write..

So if you’re not going to hire a guide, my big Machu Picchu tip is that you probably should buy / rent a guidebook before you go and take it with you. I would imagine such guidebooks are pretty prevalent.

when it's mandatory to get a guide? Why even suggest that there is an option not to get one?

Also, the 45 minute hike isn't where you get the "classic" Machu Picchu photo. The author is misinformed and is giving out bad advice and information.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Why would you write..

So if you’re not going to hire a guide, my big Machu Picchu tip is that you probably should buy / rent a guidebook before you go and take it with you. I would imagine such guidebooks are pretty prevalent.

when it's mandatory to get a guide? Why even suggest that there is an option not to get one?

Also, the 45 minute hike isn't where you get the "classic" Machu Picchu photo. The author is misinformed and is giving out bad advice and information.
Useless article. But will never see the light of day anyway, 100's of bloggers have covered Machu picchu thoroughly.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I find Points with a Crew offers the most useless and often times wrong or incomplete information. I hope he didn't quit his day job to do his blog as his 6 kids will probably go hungry if he did. I can't see this blog generating enough income for a family of 8.

There simply are no editorial standards at BA. Yes, I know each blogger has full control of their content. The result is the many many bad ones reflect on the overall quality and read enough bad ones and people won't try to find the good ones.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by cruisr
I find Points with a Crew offers the most useless and often times wrong or incomplete information. I hope he didn't quit his day job to do his blog as his 6 kids will probably go hungry if he did. I can't see this blog generating enough income for a family of 8.

There simply are no editorial standards at BA. Yes, I know each blogger has full control of their content. The result is the many many bad ones reflect on the overall quality and read enough bad ones and people won't try to find the good ones.
That blog is not good, you're right. However, BA has become such a morass that to single out PwaC instead of a myriad of other awful, amateurish blogs seems short-sighted. Remember, this is the same place that has a blog written by a stuffed monkey.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Or a blogger that had to borrow 5k Hyatt points from Dad to stay at a hotel for Mini BA Con. Seriously is this turning to a rich kids of instagram type of network? Kids who use mommy and daddys miles to travel around and pretend to be an expert.

The monkey blogger claims to be an actor on his profile. Not sure which local TV commercial he popped up in.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
The monkey blogger claims to be an actor on his profile. Not sure which local TV commercial he popped up in.
He was one of the male supporting actors on ABC Family's "Make It Or Break It". I think he was one of the male gymnast/boyfriends.

I'm a little worried that I actually know that. 😂

(Edited to add... not as the sock monkey, however, but as it's human.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.