Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:22 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by 84fiero
What about First2Board.com? I've admittedly only read a few blogs there on occasion, mostly Mr Pickles. How do folks feel it compares to BA in some of these areas?
Thanks for reading, I appreciate it and try not to rehash what has already been said.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by kokonutz
As for the OP, my feeling is that it's 2 things driving the glut of blogs at BA

1) To maximize monetization (either for RMR under the BA business model or for valuation for a future sale) the key is volume, volume, volume.

2) Randy's still a hippie. So the more the merrier in his drum circle!
^^^
Old Jun 20, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I've only actually gone to BA once.... why would I? Much easier to read in a Reader.

It is kind of interesting to me though that if you Google 'Boarding Area', the top link is OMAAT, not the BA landing page.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Ex Plat, DL Dropout from Skymiles 2015
I now only go to BA occassionally, mainly for two reasons:

1) Check out which credit card deals are solid, and then I go to the bank's site directlly to apply. I realized that by giving them referral links I only encouraged their nonstop peddling behavior.

2) Get a chuckle out of the 'content' of my good buddy DP. Kind of sad DP wasn't invited to #InsideDelta.

BTW did you see Canadian km tried to kill another deal from FT yesterday, the Avios First Class points rebate. I wish he could be blocked from FT, his content would dry up.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by 100orBust
I now only go to BA occassionally, mainly for two reasons:

1) Check out which credit card deals are solid, and then I go to the bank's site directlly to apply. I realized that by giving them referral links I only encouraged their nonstop peddling behavior.

2) Get a chuckle out of the 'content' of my good buddy DP. Kind of sad DP wasn't invited to #InsideDelta.

BTW did you see Canadian km tried to kill another deal from FT yesterday, the Avios First Class points rebate. I wish he could be blocked from FT, his content would dry up.
He killed something once, what's stopping him from doing it again?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:57 am

BA has mostly been garbage as far as I could remember after getting back into the FF game. Mostly rehashes of old information or stuff already posted on FT, and credit card promotions I can't use (as I'm in Canada.) I've gotten much more out of FT and the wonderful membership here.

For a while, all I read was OMAAT. I started noticing more and more promotional and rehash material popping up there, but still tolerated it (I was getting sick of the same LH F TRs over and over again though.)

That sad EK Residences Kickstarter was the final nail in the coffin. Now I don't read BA at all anymore.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
I've said before, the EK kickstarter made me feel all icky, similar to FT OMNI. Since then I've removed BA from my bookmarks and have only gone to VFTW twice since the kickstarter began. Both times it was more f***ing CC plugs. I'm spending more time on FT again but trying to avoid the OMNI sinkhole.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Ham Samich
So it appears that amongst this small sample, there is a consensus.

Can anything be done?

And for others, what was the straw that broke the camel's back? If there is one

Mine was probably OMAAT's kickstarter. I couldn't pick out his blog with any specificity prior, but now that image on his blog makes me recoil
Old Jun 21, 2014, 11:34 am

I love these types of posts. All three link out to other BA blogs.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by f0xx

I love these types of posts. All three link out to other BA blogs.
Wow, two sentences and only 7 words that aren't hyperlinks to the other blogs. Talk about phoning it in!
Old Jun 21, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Points, Miles, and Martinis managed to have an article about an email received from BA on the Chase BA card trumpeting that there's a 10% discount for holders of the card on BA flights--as if it were a new, limited time benefit instead of a benefit that has continuously been in effect ever since I got the card in April 2011 (although admittedly BA places a deadline at the end of each calendar year that has now been extended three times to the end of the following year).

Way to be on top of the basics. . .
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:52 am

Anyone see this?
Make sure you turn on the adblockers/ghostery.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....old-status-30/

VFTW is getting classy.....
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Mine was probably OMAAT's kickstarter...
It was really funny to watch. He knew he screwed up so he NEVER
mentioned this again on his blog, which was kind of ridiculous.
But in the same time he sent out a begging message to those who
participated on kickstarted the day or two before the end, so it clearly
shows he was really hoping to get that money
A true class act.

Now he's pretending it never happened (as all his supporters/boddies).
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by f0xx
Anyone see this?
Make sure you turn on the adblockers/ghostery.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....old-status-30/

VFTW is getting classy.....
He says this in the comments now...

Gary Leff said,

In case it wasn’t obvious enough in the post, I strongly recommend against. Sharing because I found it curious, because it prompts all the other ways to get it, and because it suggests a ‘going market rate’ for the status.
However I assumed the real reason was this tidbit in his original post (at the end of a list of current legitimate ways to get Gold):

The simplest — and current as well as totally ‘above board’ — way to get Hilton Gold is to just sign up for their credit card. The annual fee on the Hilton Reserve card is $85, but comes with 2 free weekend nights at almost any Hilton property in the world after meeting minimum spend, and a $100 statement credit with your first qualifying Hilton spend.
Which just happens to be an affiliate link, natch.

I don't agree that the eBay sale necessarily reflects a "going market rate" for Gold status. That would be like using the street price of stolen or counterfeit goods to establish a market rate for an item.

Unless I'm wrong and somehow this ebay seller has legitimate authorization to re-sell Gold upgrades. Considering they ask buyers to send their HHonors account number an PIN I'm guessing not.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Moved 12 posts on the kickstarter topic here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...is-travel.html

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.