Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by kokonutz
BTW something, I didn't realize until recently that AA miles are pretty much as worthless as DL miles in terms of getting international premium cabin awards.

Yet AA gets all the blogger love and DL gets all the blogger hate.

Oh well.
As someone whose travel needs often intersect with the Delta award algorithm's sweet spots, I'm okay with the bloggers not noticing that and having it slightly more likely to stay that way.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:19 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Hence why I said when and where . Mediocre for Europe if wanting to avoid BA, but I have had good luck with other routes. Taking "only" my eighth QF F flight on an award in a few weeks, despite their supposed "unicorn" status and how they are "so hard to find!!" . Yawn.
I didn't realize this was you:

Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
I didn't realize this was you:
I'm just that awesome .
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Really sad that it's been over a month since we've talked about him, but I love GTL when he promotes the Chase cards from BA, Marriott, and Southwest, all of which he hates:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....marriott-visa/.

No self interest there, right?
Old Dec 4, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
It's all about conversions...
Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Really sad that it's been over a month since we've talked about him,
There's little of interest on his site anymore.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by JetAway
You mean you're not captivated by the same old tired themes such as these?

"No, _________ Isn't Going To _____ Your ________. Why Do You Ask?"

"The 10 Best Credit Cards For ___________"

"Let Me Word This Rumor As If It's Happening"

"Sensationalist Tripe Alert"

"What I Love About [Latest CC I'm Pushing]"
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:41 pm

"Your last chance to buy _____ miles with a 50% bonus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Old Dec 7, 2016, 4:52 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
The TSA is bad...really bad!

Passenger vomits in the lavatory, you won't believe what happened next!

The Ritz Carlton card and 69 reasons to get it NOW!

Link he found at TBB and HTing Alan H. again

you all have a good day now
Old Dec 7, 2016, 5:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JetAway
The material of interest to me on that blog has been declining for quite some time. Perhaps the blogger has found more lucrative or interesting alternatives to grab his attention?

As the material of interest to me on there declines, the less I visit the site thereafter.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 5:34 am

I think that's the nature of all these blogs. They work hard at the beginning by writing useful articles and keeping the fluff to a minimum. Once the clicks, ad space, and referrals pick up and the revenue increases, the integrity goes out the window, and the blood $ starts to roll in.

I criticize them, though I still find these blogs useful and interesting. It's just that we have to sift through the multitude of scams and ........ to find the readable articles (whether they were stolen from others or not). What I have started to enjoy is the depths to which they will justify pushing horrible cards and giving horrible advice. It's almost like a "who will push the integrity lower today" game.

Last edited by Flamenguista; Dec 7, 2016 at 5:40 am
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flamenguista
I think that's the nature of all these blogs. They work hard at the beginning by writing useful articles and keeping the fluff to a minimum. Once the clicks, ad space, and referrals pick up and the revenue increases, the integrity goes out the window, and the blood $ starts to roll in.

I criticize them, though I still find these blogs useful and interesting. It's just that we have to sift through the multitude of scams and ........ to find the readable articles (whether they were stolen from others or not). What I have started to enjoy is the depths to which they will justify pushing horrible cards and giving horrible advice. It's almost like a "who will push the integrity lower today" game.
Integrity in modern public communications? That's so pass in an era when post-factual types and "fake news" generators and peddlers have been publicly rewarded so substantially by so many. The bloggers can't all be unaware of the audience.

While I may find that the bloggers don't all get what they deserve, I do find that the audience fully gets what the audience deserves and is fully responsible for being such a prime target market for modern public communications regardless of integrity.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:17 am

I heard Gary on Morning Edition on NPR this morning providing insight into 'basic economy fares.' While his analysis was spot on (it's just repackaging the lowest fare they already offered with fewer perks and so charging more for what they used to give for the lowest fare), something about his appearance struck me as odd.

And sure enough, in his day job they advocate for de-funding NPR: https://www.mercatus.org/expert_comm...ake-it-its-own
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:01 pm
Suspended

I heard Gary on Morning Edition on NPR this morning providing insight into 'basic economy fares.' While his analysis was spot on (it's just repackaging the lowest fare they already offered with fewer perks and so charging more for what they used to give for the lowest fare), something about his appearance struck me as odd.

And sure enough, in his day job they advocate for de-funding NPR: https://www.mercatus.org/expert_comm...ake-it-its-own
Some individuals just love the attention, even if the attention comes from organizations which the individuals want defunded due to the individual's (or their paymasters') dogmatism/ideology. But seriously, if his hobby-turned-sidejob is financed by getting the right kind of attention, doesn't it make sense to be pragmatic and accept the offer to be given the profitable attention?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Some individuals just love the attention, even if the attention comes from organizations which the individuals want defunded due to the individual's (or their paymasters') dogmatism/ideology. But seriously, if his hobby-turned-sidejob is financed by getting the right kind of attention, doesn't it make sense to be pragmatic and accept the offer to be given the profitable attention?
Absolutely.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.