Reload this Page >

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:45 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Sure, and if I write about particle physics -- a subject about which I know nothing -- maybe that could be "substantive" and "worth reading" to boot?
Sure it could be. Science writers for popular magazines routinely describe technologies they don't understand, yet readers still benefit.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Wile E. Coyote decides to try that "reverse psychology" thing he read about in the psychology text he ordered online from Acme University.

Beep-beep!
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:54 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Lol, I've been saying this for years! The devaluation of the programs causes consumers to drop their blinders. That is GOOD for consumers!

I'm glad he finally conceded the point! ^
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:38 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Lol, I've been saying this for years! The devaluation of the programs causes consumers to drop their blinders. That is GOOD for consumers!
Momentum causes markets to overreact before finding a new balance. FT'ers will have switched to cash back cards for several years by the time the FF programs resume adding value rather than taking it away. We are heading into some lean years for loyalty programs.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond

I'm glad he finally conceded the point! ^
I read it as his attempt to convince Delta not to throw consumers into the briar patch (to use an even older cultural reference). Like the people at Delta would be listening to the guy who regularly boasts that he invented the term, SkyPesos.

We know that an increasingly revenue-based world of airline redemptions would only undercut VFTW's award booking business. And in my mind, there's no doubt that most of the airline programs would like to follow in the footsteps of IHG, Marriott, and Hilton rather than keep their FFPs as arbitrage opportunities for savvy FTers.

Of course, the question is, can they? In the short term, with an improving economy and consolidation of the major players, I think so, which is why Delta's recent decisions, while bad for most of us, are great for the financials of the airlines. Southwest and Delta are farther along the path, United is interested in closing the gap, and the exclamation point will be if AA decides they gain no competitive advantage by continuing on the older, alternative path.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I read it as his attempt to convince Delta not to throw consumers into the briar patch (to use an even older cultural reference). Like the people at Delta would be listening to the guy who regularly boasts that he invented the term, SkyPesos.

We know that an increasingly revenue-based world of airline redemptions would only undercut VFTW's award booking business. And in my mind, there's no doubt that most of the airline programs would like to follow in the footsteps of IHG, Marriott, and Hilton rather than keep their FFPs as arbitrage opportunities for savvy FTers.

Of course, the question is, can they? In the short term, with an improving economy and consolidation of the major players, I think so, which is why Delta's recent decisions, while bad for most of us, are great for the financials of the airlines. Southwest and Delta are farther along the path, United is interested in closing the gap, and the exclamation point will be if AA decides they gain no competitive advantage by continuing on the older, alternative path.
Oh, I completely agree that the post was a passive aggressive 'warning' to AA not to follow in Delta's footsteps. Because it will be better for consumers and worse for the airline (and, of course, bad for Points and Miles bloggers and award booking companies).

But 'miles' are the past.

Meanwhile, there is a $1500 QR J class fare CMB-JFK. THAT is the future of 'gaming' air travel. @:-)
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Oh, I completely agree that the post was a passive aggressive 'warning' to AA not to follow in Delta's footsteps. Because it will be better for consumers and worse for the airline (and, of course, bad for Points and Miles bloggers and award booking companies).

But 'miles' are the past.

Meanwhile, there is a $1500 QR J class fare CMB-JFK. THAT is the future of 'gaming' air travel. @:-)
Don't think it is valid anymore. These have to be " found" and pulling the trigger has to be faster than Clint Eastwood !
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
Don't think it is valid anymore. These have to be " found" and pulling the trigger has to be faster than Clint Eastwood !
I just booked one for $1800 this morning. @:-)^
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:40 pm

I just booked one for $1800 this morning. @:-)^
can you please PM me the details of the page, with whatever redacted ?
Thanks.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Lots of clickbait the last few days:

When You're Frustrated By Your Airline's Flight Delays, Don't Do This
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
can you please PM me the details of the page, with whatever redacted ?
Thanks.
Still available!

Old Mar 7, 2015, 7:57 pm

Thank youkokonutz. Guess I was late in reacting. Will. Have to keep trolling QR
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Today's post is a copy of a CNN.com article from two days ago.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/09/travel...ome-colosseum/
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by skunker

Imagine if you had an opinion column for USA Today and all you did was make references to other new stories published by your own publisher and other newspapers without ever actually giving an opinion?

I'm pretty sure this guy is writing these articles for Gary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5hZeagcxsA
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by skunker

I think it's a mistake for blogs to want to be news aggregator (or, just as likely, posting the results of their news aggregator). If the don't produce original content or at least offer an opinion then they are replaceable with a real news aggregator.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.