Search

Jumping the shark?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2014, 12:17 pm
Used to be diaworld
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Dontcareist,
Jumping the shark?

Irony noted as I'm a (tiny) bit of the blogosphere, but does anyone else think we will look at today as the day the tide really began to turn?

Don't know about anyone else, but recent events leave me ice cold.
Old May 8, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by The Deal Mommy
Irony noted as I'm a (tiny) bit of the blogosphere, but does anyone else think we will look at today as the day the tide really began to turn?

Don't know about anyone else, but recent events leave me ice cold.
What events are you alluding to?
Old May 8, 2014, 1:29 pm

Yea, for me it was Gary Leff's calling out of the woman who criticized OMAT and then the countless people in the comments calling for her job.

She's allowed to have an opinion. She didn't do it in an official capacity, yet Gary Leff eviscerated her on his blog.

These are two of the most respected blogs in the industry and to see what they've done the last two days is sad.
Old May 8, 2014, 1:45 pm
Used to be diaworld
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jesperss
Yea, for me it was Gary Leff's calling out of the woman who criticized OMAT and then the countless people in the comments calling for her job.

She's allowed to have an opinion. She didn't do it in an official capacity, yet Gary Leff eviscerated her on his blog.

These are two of the most respected blogs in the industry and to see what they've done the last two days is sad.
I was wondering if I was on an island out here. Add the 37 CC link posts, the Maldives fixation, and the 99 part trip reports and I leave some blogs wondering who this appeals to.
Old May 8, 2014, 1:47 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Looking at the fb comments everyone is out to get her fired, an ecstatic that there is controversy.
Old May 8, 2014, 1:54 pm

I was wondering if I was on an island out here. Add the 37 CC link posts, the Maldives fixation, and the 99 part trip reports and I leave some blogs wondering who this appeals to.
The blogs are run and operated like a business (legally speaking), however many bloggers take it personal when one criticizes the blog.

OMAT is within the bounds of starting that Kickstarter fund. I'm not a fan, but it's a business.

When Gary Leff called out that woman he crossed that line and made it personal.

Blogs are a business, and its time they starting acting as one.

What happens when a business calls out a reviewer who posted something on Yelp? They're criticized for it.

Same for a blog. They need to keep it professional.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:39 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
It's almost like a soapopera:

Young man living rich and lavish is impatient to try a new product impossible to reach on his normal means. Finds a way to try a way to finance it. A solution is found but has its controversies due to background and issues at stake.

People are cheering for deification or pleading for self-reflection thus forgeting their own ties and responsibilities. Others wishing to gain or emphesize their own agenda are caught up in the miasma......

(You all know the names of the personae dramatis, will it end in a tragedy, comedy or an allorgy ?)@:-)
Old May 8, 2014, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Do you have a link? I don't regularly read his blog, but would like to see what's going on.

The blogs are run and operated like a business (legally speaking), however many bloggers take it personal when one criticizes the blog.

OMAT is within the bounds of starting that Kickstarter fund. I'm not a fan, but it's a business.

What happens when a business calls out a reviewer who posted something on Yelp? They're criticized for it.

Old May 8, 2014, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Do you have a link? I don't regularly read his blog, but would like to see what's going on.
http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...r-airline-bus/

Very petty of him imo.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:59 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by lazard
Wow! Fascinating. Thanks for the link.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist

I take no sides on the issue at hand, but it seems to me that if she is allowed to have (and express) an opinion, Gary is as well!
Old May 8, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I'm at a loss as well many times. Then again I don't understand how the Twilight movies could top the box office, either. It's about the same level of depth and quality.

Some of these bloggers try to have their cake and eat it too. "It's a business" but also "I do this because I love the hobby", etc. A business owner can choose to make things personal but I find it distasteful.

To answer the OP...no, I think many in the M&P blog world jumped the shark awhile ago!
Old May 8, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've read the posts, but it didn't really sway me one way or the other. If someone is listing that they're an AA spokesperson/employee, then they have to consider how their online actions will appear.

I know DL had some pretty Draconian rules, and I think that even kinda fired Queen of Sky a number of years back, even though she never really mentioned she worked for DL. I guess this new AA employee let her hair down once she moved over to AA.

Heck, I'd probably kick in $10 to Lucky to take the trip. I enjoy his reports, certainly. Of course, Lucky is trying to get attention. It's ludicrous to the general public, and makes no sense, but much of the stuff I do in the frequent flyer world would fall under the same category.

People will spend their money on what they want to. Should we analyze this AA employees finances and see if she spends money on stuff we consider wasteful or extravagant?

The fact is, unless you live in a mud hut, you're wasting a lot of money. Maybe on that $500 outfit for your dog. Or buying a $4 Starbuck's twice a day. Charity starts at home.
Old May 8, 2014, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I've read the posts, but it didn't really sway me one way or the other. If someone is listing that they're an AA spokesperson/employee, then they have to consider how their online actions will appear.

I know DL had some pretty Draconian rules, and I think that even kinda fired Queen of Sky a number of years back, even though she never really mentioned she worked for DL. I guess this new AA employee let her hair down once she moved over to AA.

Heck, I'd probably kick in $10 to Lucky to take the trip. I enjoy his reports, certainly. Of course, Lucky is trying to get attention. It's ludicrous to the general public, and makes no sense, but much of the stuff I do in the frequent flyer world would fall under the same category.

People will spend their money on what they want to. Should we analyze this AA employees finances and see if she spends money on stuff we consider wasteful or extravagant?

The fact is, unless you live in a mud hut, you're wasting a lot of money. Maybe on that $500 outfit for your dog. Or buying a $4 Starbuck's twice a day. Charity starts at home.
What's ludicrous is Lucky could afford to buy the ticket himself, but doesn't want to, therefore he resorts to asking his readers to foot the bill for him.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:17 pm
Used to be diaworld
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero

To answer the OP...no, I think many in the M&P blog world jumped the shark awhile ago!
I agree that things had been trending down, but today I just (as I would tell my kids) "lost my patience".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.