Wiki Posts
Search

OMAT holding a kickstarter to fund his travel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:31 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by pricesquire
EDIT: maybe I'm a bit slow, but....is this "What is a Travel Blogger" post (the one refusing to pander to trolls) directed at us, on this thread?
Yes.

A classic example of bloggers posting on their blog exactly what they USED to post on FlyerTalk before they got paid to post stuff on their blog instead. @:-)
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Yes.

A classic example of bloggers posting on their blog exactly what they USED to post on FlyerTalk before they got paid to post stuff on their blog instead. @:-)
As opposed to IB getting paid when you post on their board (with ad impressions, etc.)?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I meant to say something earlier, but one of you complained about a "stream of consciousness" narrative style. Everyone can like or dislike whatever he chooses, but I would respectfully point out that that particular style has gained permanent fame and essentially universal respect for some folks, including James Joyce and Marcel Proust.

Last edited by FallenPlat; Sep 17, 2014 at 8:47 am
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
I meant to say something earlier, but one of you complained about a "stream of consciousness" narrative style. Everyone can like or dislike whatever he chooses, but I would respectfully point out that that particular style has gained permanent fame and essentially universal respect for some folks, including James Joyce and Marcel Proust.
Funny you mentioned Joyce.

Earlier in this discussion, I was going to say: "the only ones who can pull of SoC are Joyce and Proust"

I never posted because I didn't want to put Ben/OMAAT and Joyce in the same line
!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:48 pm

As I wrote in the comments section of his blog, Ben would be a better global citizen if he would immerse and engage himself in the culture of his venues (rather than eating cold cuts and yogurt for breakfast in his 500th Hyatt Regency).

I've seen a lot of folks write that they value his opinions on different premium products, but do you folks REALLY think Ben is that good at reviewing hotels, products, and cuisines?

I mean, how often do you read things like, "The champagne was perfectly drinkable," "The dessert was edible enough," and, "The seat controls were intuitive"? He provides very few details about the quality of food and drink, and he didn't even drink until a year or two ago. I'd happily contribute to the Kickstarter of someone who could accurately articulate their thoughts on cuisine, but not for someone my age who's just trying to cross off another A380 with, "good enough bedding."

I know he really prides himself on his ability to try new products, but I don't even value his assessment of "new" (to him) ones. A sample size of 1 does not fairly represent a given product. Certainly, I'd trust the impressions of someone who flies J to TPE monthly on BR moreso than Ben's impressions of the Hello Kitty charade.

Don't get me wrong, I still read most of Ben's posts, and he's an invaluable source for information on earning and redeeming points. But he's not a travel blogger, and he's not a food and beverage critic (which detracts from what he says he is).
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:30 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I know he really prides himself on his ability to try new products, but I don't even value his assessment of "new" (to him) ones. A sample size of 1 does not fairly represent a given product. Certainly, I'd trust the impressions of someone who flies J to TPE monthly on BR moreso than Ben's impressions of the Hello Kitty charade.
He's just one data point, but a fairly consistent one. And his photos are like seatguru on steroids.

But yeah, no one should trust a single data point. And that's where FlyerTalk shines: the ability to get several different perspectives on a transportation experience.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by kokonutz
He's just one data point, but a fairly consistent one. And his photos are like seatguru on steroids.

But yeah, no one should trust a single data point. And that's where FlyerTalk shines: the ability to get several different perspectives on a transportation experience.
^

We're like a Thousand (Data) Points of Light!
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by thtsapaddlin
As I wrote in the comments section of his blog, Ben would be a better global citizen if he would immerse and engage himself in the culture of his venues (rather than eating cold cuts and yogurt for breakfast in his 500th Hyatt Regency).

I've seen a lot of folks write that they value his opinions on different premium products, but do you folks REALLY think Ben is that good at reviewing hotels, products, and cuisines?

I mean, how often do you read things like, "The champagne was perfectly drinkable," "The dessert was edible enough," and, "The seat controls were intuitive"? He provides very few details about the quality of food and drink, and he didn't even drink until a year or two ago. I'd happily contribute to the Kickstarter of someone who could accurately articulate their thoughts on cuisine, but not for someone my age who's just trying to cross off another A380 with, "good enough bedding."

Don't get me wrong, I still read most of Ben's posts, and he's an invaluable source for information on earning and redeeming points. But he's not a travel blogger, and he's not a food and beverage critic (which detracts from what he says he is).
^
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:54 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Bloggers spending time with other bloggers ain't necessarily a good thing. Ben Schlappig now thinks it's clever to enhance a screenshot with a bright red box to show smaller brained readers exactly where to enter a promotional code, in this post.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by IMH
Bloggers spending time with other bloggers ain't necessarily a good thing. Ben now thinks it's clever to enhance a screenshot with a bright red box to show smaller brained readers exactly where to enter a promotional code, in this post.
How did you miss the three BA Visa referral links?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:23 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
How did you miss the three BA Visa referral links?
Those little British Airways Visa Signature® Card links? Too well hidden. Posts aimed at small brained readers need at least four.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:12 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
And apparently he is the 'most inspirational blogger for road warriors'
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I guess road warriers do inspire to live the lifestyle without actually having to go to war ... errr.. work at the same time?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Oh come now, really. You're not even trying. As anyone with an even passing familiarity with his blog knows full well, he works almost all the time, which partly explains why he doesn't really "do" anything at all those destinations. Of course I'll agree completely that it's more than a little painful to see all those wonderful trips to all those wonderful places and yet, in the end, little to (sometimes) nothing in the way of experiences.

So let me throw this rock: how can you travel to, say, Paris and yet not be a "museum person," even for a day, or part of a day, or an hour? Sometimes work can get all-consuming -- too consuming -- and, frankly, I know more than a thing or two about that problem . . . .

Last edited by FallenPlat; Sep 25, 2014 at 8:29 am
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I guess road warriers do inspire to live the lifestyle without actually having to go to war ... errr.. work at the same time?
How would you know if he does or doesn't work?

His business is apparently one where he can be on the road 365 days a year.

So, let's see:

Originally Posted by cruisr
This kid needs a reality check. He also needs a dose of humility. The sense of entitlement coming from him and his blog is very off putting.
Originally Posted by tng11
It is kinda sad though for someone his age (I'm his exact age) that travel has been reduced to such a mundane job. You really grow as a person when you experience new places and gain perspective on your own life, something which is obviously lacking in his mindset. Going to a foreign country and doing nothing but staying in a hotel and sitting in Starbucks is far worse IMO than sitting at home and doing the same, really quite a waste of time and money.
Originally Posted by CMK10
Oh and this is just rumor, but I believe he also has family money and that's where his funding comes from as well.
Originally Posted by pricesquire
I doubt I'll add anything new to whats already been said, but OMAAT really just depresses me these days. I mean, what kind of life is this kid living? He's in the PRIME of his life. I'm not suggesting he should be partying 24/7, or sitting in an office chair in corporate America,but this kid needs a girlfriend or something.

I recently wrote a comment on his article about traveling alone; quite a lengthy comment. Somewhere in there I said: "Ben, please, get a girlfriend"
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...uidelines.html

Discussion is permitted on the blog but not the blogger. Discussion of the blogger and his or her character, e.g. ethics and morals, will be deleted.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...mpr-forum.html

Originally Posted by oliver2002
You are probably aware, discussing the authors themselves with respect to the more personal aspects of their lives is also not very FT like, so lets not go there. I personally feel it distracts from the point you are trying to make.
Keep it classy, FlyerTalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.