Wiki Posts
Search

BA Bloggers Starting to Run Out of Content

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2014, 1:09 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by sbm12
Nope. Well, an RSS reader app would get you headlines and content and skip most of the ads, but nothing if you visit the site natively.
Bummer. Apparently it doesn't dissuade everyone, but it sure drives me away.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:11 pm

Sadly, readers are forced to live with it. I'm kind of shocked they haven't bothered to clean up some of the usability issues. Who did they hire for the re-design? My guess is it was an inside job. It wouldn't take a competent web designer/programmer more than a day to clean things up. Just add preview text to the second tier of boxes and add an icon to the third tier.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HikerT
Sadly, readers are forced to live with it. I'm kind of shocked they haven't bothered to clean up some of the usability issues. Who did they hire for the re-design? My guess is it was an inside job. It wouldn't take a competent web designer/programmer more than a day to clean things up. Just add preview text to the second tier of boxes and add an icon to the third tier.
The worst part about the redesign is they were pimping it out for weeks, even months before it happened.

Post after post: "redesign coming soon! all lives will be easier"

Redesign sucks and usability is down greatly IMO.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 5:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Who did they hire for the re-design? My guess is it was an inside job.
You're wrong.
Originally Posted by pricesquire
The worst part about the redesign is they were pimping it out for weeks, even months before it happened.

Post after post: "redesign coming soon! all lives will be easier"
There were two different efforts in play. Each of the individual blogs got a makeover. Separate from that was the front page work.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:41 pm

If an outside job then I'd think they would have fixed some of the usability issues. Any reason why little has been done in that regard? Or is BA happy with the result?
Old Sep 26, 2014, 11:35 pm

I'm not sure if each blog has had their facelift yet. I know when I came back, I was able to choose a more dynamic theme for the site than what BA used in the past. I think each site will 'upgrade' to more dynamic themes that are a bit nice than just the ones that look like google default blogs.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
If an outside job then I'd think they would have fixed some of the usability issues. Any reason why little has been done in that regard? Or is BA happy with the result?
Maybe it is because the ad revenue is down? Sorry I could not resist this one
Old Sep 28, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
BA even asking Chris Elliott to join, wow! This was a shocker. And I just don't get shocked easily anymore...

http://elliott.org/blog/join-boardin...log-network-2/
Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:02 pm

The reason nothing has been done to fix it is because the owner apparently loves it:

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
Minutes later, I began the ‘blog scan’ part of my day (made easier with the new front page of BoardingArea)
I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 3:52 pm
Suspended

http://pointprincess.boardingarea.co...-aint-cracked/

Uh....

Confused.

She's "on" this week - what does that mean? I thought BA bloggers were rotated based on when they wrote articles, not "hey buddy, write some stuff this week because you're featured this week"

Also, I'm sure she's a nice person, so I'm not at all going after her character, but I don't think that 'piece' could be dripping with more ambivalence if it tried.

What makes this blogger qualified to be writing for BA?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite

Uh....

Confused.

She's "on" this week - what does that mean? I thought BA bloggers were rotated based on when they wrote articles, not "hey buddy, write some stuff this week because you're featured this week"

Also, I'm sure she's a nice person, so I'm not at all going after her character, but I don't think that 'piece' could be dripping with more ambivalence if it tried.

Interesting. Though I didn't take it to be so much ambivalent as sort of a moment where she is realizing what she really wanted to focus on, at least with the concluding sentence:

I am aiming to make Point Princess more of a travel blog, and less of a points and miles blog.
In which case, BA may not be the right home for her since it's mostly focused on miles and points specifically. She may find a better fit and exposure in some other venue with more actual travel focused content.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Interesting. Though I didn't take it to be so much ambivalent as sort of a moment where she is realizing what she really wanted to focus on, at least with the concluding sentence:

In which case, BA may not be the right home for her since it's mostly focused on miles and points specifically. She may find a better fit and exposure in some other venue with more actual travel focused content.
I agree with you.

I guess what I'm getting at is: no wonder BA has so. many. bloggers. when they've gotten to the point their bloggers are sitting there musing about their 'options' instead of writing content.

This isn't an e-journal...
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:32 pm

on eJournals

Um...

blog
bläɡ/
noun
a regularly updated website or web page, typically one run by an individual or small group, that is written in an informal or conversational style.

I'm just saying. It is basically an eJournal.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:50 pm

Uh....

Confused.

Good for her! ^
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Never mind - much is lost in translation via text.

Again, nothing against her personally. Thank god someone is writing about - wait for it... - travel!

I just find it comical that BA basically said "you're in this week" and that's the post we get.

For those who are more in-the-know w/ BA's practices -- didn't realize this is how it worked -- I thought so long as you wrote, your pieces would get on the Main Page. No?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.