Coverage of the Delta FF program changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

Check out who broke the news on FT about the Delta changes..... none other than legend himself -- Randy Peterson. Very interesting. He's been predicting this for years, so I guess it must feel vindicating for him to be right. (Though if I was sitting on 17M miles -- as was once reported -- I sure would NOT want to be right about this prediction.)

And of course, the post is more of a stub telling you to come read the whole story on InsideFlyer. I guess it's the history of journalism to try to profit off of tragedy, LOL.

Apparently the news was leaked.... will be interesting to see which bloggers have their stories all queued up, and which ones were left out in the cold. Can't wait to read the spin from Delta Points!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hobo13
Apparently the news was leaked.... will be interesting to see which bloggers have their stories all queued up, and which ones were left out in the cold. Can't wait to read the spin from Delta Points!
Considering DeltaPoints.com didn't have any sort of reaction at all ready - and they were IIRC about to launch a delta mileage run site (which now has absolutely ZERO value) - i'm guessing that their "inside sources" left them out in the cold.

My prediction though? somehow the spin will be towards getting an AMEX card. to think, if they still had their chase links - they'd be able to push that!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

With several different sources sharing the same details at midnight it sounds a lot more like a standard media embargo/release process to me than someone "leaking" the story out.

Decent number of posts up about it so far, but I haven't had time to run my normal analysis yet. Coming soon enough.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
With several different sources sharing the same details at midnight it sounds a lot more like a standard media embargo/release process to me than someone "leaking" the story out.

Decent number of posts up about it so far, but I haven't had time to run my normal analysis yet. Coming soon enough.
Call it what you want, some 'journalists' were on the inside, some were not. Still surprising to me, given that I don't recall such a coordinated release of information with the switch to PQD's, partner devaluation, etc. Why now? If you're going to release bad news, why not aim for Friday 5PM, and hope that the media doesn't pick it up? Or does DL actually believe in their heart of hearts that this is really a positive for their customers?

Will be interesting to see your analysis.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Or does DL actually believe in their heart of hearts that this is really a positive for their customers?
They're not the only ones calling it that, believe it or not.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
True enough; some of the HVCs have figured that they will earn more RDMs with this new program -- as long as they keep flying those expensive F and BE flights paid for with OPM. But eventually when they have to pay for travel themselves it might not seem so positive.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:15 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Nice to see Randy around here, even if it is just to draw traffic to his newest blog! ^

Speaking of which...is "The new InsideFlyer blog" on the blogroll? Seems not.

Also...don't BA blogger chaff at their business partner competing against them?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
True enough; some of the HVCs have figured that they will earn more RDMs with this new program -- as long as they keep flying those expensive F and BE flights paid for with OPM. But eventually when they have to pay for travel themselves it might not seem so positive.
I buy premium cabin tickets with both my own as well as OPM.

I'm looking pretty hard at the new DL program right now.

I do feel terrible for mileage runners. Especially if AA and/or UA copy.

But, keeping this on topic for this forum, this also can't be great news for bloggers that make their bones by doing and blogging about mileage runs.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
True enough; some of the HVCs have figured that they will earn more RDMs with this new program
Oh right, this is a great deal for the 1%-ers..... or more likely the 0.1%-ers. is that why the WSJ is being DL's lap dog?

Maybe we should #Occupy ATL.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Some of those sources received the news early.

The rest of us — I doubt that I am part of any special group — received an official press release from Delta Air Lines at 5:00 this morning.

I stayed up until 6:15 in the morning to get the story out there.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kokonutz

But, keeping this on topic for this forum, this also can't be great news for bloggers that make their bones by doing and blogging about mileage runs.
Agree. I actually left a comment on FM's blog about it. He's saying it's not so bad (or maybe good?). Do they honestly think that the CC bonanza will persist indefinitely? If DL is screwing the people who actually fly them and directly give them money, what concern do they have for those who use a CC with some bank?

As I pointed out to FM, if all the majors adopt this, I'll have to find a new hobby. But I'll still have a job. Will the same be true for the bloggers?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Some of those sources received the news early.

The rest of us — I doubt that I am part of any special group — received an official press release from Delta Air Lines at 5:00 this morning.

I stayed up until 6:15 in the morning to get the story out there.
According to many of the articles I read this was 'announced at' (ie, embargoed until) midnight. It was wily of Randy to have his blog article ready then post first at 12:08 on FT with a link to his blog since he was clearly in the early- receivers group. Old media still retains SOME advantages!

Agree. I actually left a comment on FM's blog about it. He's saying it's not so bad (or maybe good?). Do they honestly think that the CC bonanza will persist indefinitely? If DL is screwing the people who actually fly them and directly give them money, what concern do they have for those who use a CC with some bank?

As I pointed out to FM, if all the majors adopt this, I'll have to find a new hobby. But I'll still have a job. Will the same be true for the bloggers?
My very first thought was: what about credit card miles.

I guess it remains to be seen if this approach enhances or kills the allure of CC miles. For some (like Mileage Runners), CC miles may become a real necessity rather than a nicety since they are losing miles. And some mileage runners may turn into CC churners (if they were not churning already). OTOH, some folks will be leaving the game altogether as it wont be as much fun as it was. And who knows how DL and the CCs are viewing each other in this new paradigm.

And until the effect on CC miles shakes out, the fate of P&M bloggers will be unclear. But these do have to be stomach-churning days for our blogging friends.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:39 pm

Here's Gary Leff from VFTW with some choice opinions on the change on ABC World News:

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/delt...ogram-22690621
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I'm not sure who all you had in mind, but I felt that the InsideFlyer post this morning was overly positive about it.

http://insideflyer.boardingarea.com/...miles-revenue/

It almost felt like a DL press release in spots like this:

...While the ground they are covering here is novel for a global airline the size of Delta, we believe that in the next five years, we’ll look back and point to this decision by Delta as a course correction for the global frequent flyer industry....
...We believe that Delta has chosen a very conservative and responsible approach to their 33-year old frequent flyer program, respecting their current members, while transforming the industry to be relevant for the next 33 years.
Not sure that respect for members and Delta belong in the same sentence.

My first thought this morning was "oh well, this makes my CC earning even better". My next thought was "yeah but they will surely screw CC holders next". Maybe you'll only earn 1 mile per $2 or something like that.

And the spread of this type of scheme to UA, AA, is only a matter of time I fear. I think this does portend some bad things for some M&P bloggers in the long run. Not to mention the MR forum on here
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kokonutz
According to many of the articles I read this was 'announced at' (ie, embargoed until) midnight. It was wily of Randy to have his blog article ready then post first at 12:08 on FT with a link to his blog since he was clearly in the early- receivers group. Old media still retains SOME advantages!
Based on his banter with Gleff on the topic, I'd bet he's had this post queued for a couple of years now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.