Go Back   > >

Old Aug 23, 17, 2:16 pm   #61
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
With readership "near nil" not even credit cards.com will throw you a bone...
oliver2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 17, 6:21 pm   #62

Programs: Mahalo Rewards
Quote:
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy View Post
I've just launched a blog - http://MyPointsBlog.com, so readership is near-nil. But trying to provide good quality content. Don't know that I've accomplished that with so few articles to start with. However, I'm wondering, what does it take to get U.S.-based bank CC affiliate links? Is there a way to apply to Chase, Amex, and the others? Or is it Don't Call Us, We'll Call You?

I like Google AdSense because the process seemed fair. You submit your site, then wait to see if approved. While approved, I've only made 30 cents in the first week. Hope to become Fiddy Cent, so to say, by the end of next week. But it's going to be a grueling process trying to monetize via AdSense, I suspect.

Which leads me back to my question about how one obtains CC affiliate links. Since this post is quite old, thought I'd bump it up and see who and what shows up. And please, don't be cruel--to a heart that's true. :-)
I think if you're going in with the foremost goal of getting CC affiliate links, you've already started off on the wrong foot. It's usually obvious when a blog is trying to create content just to get into the CC affiliate marketing game. The internet has plenty of alleged "miles & points", aka Credit Card Salesmen, blogs. BoardingArea alone adds another wannabe blogger every twenty seconds or so, most of them reblogging one another and recycling the same content as an excuse to pump more links. What would attract readers to another new site unless there is some really original and unique content?
84fiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 17, 5:14 am   #63

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Well...since I can't be cruel I am not going to bother replying then...
gpapadop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 17, 8:41 am   #64

Programs: All of Them
Quote:
I've just launched a blog - http://MyPointsBlog.com, so readership is near-nil. But trying to provide good quality content. Don't know that I've accomplished that with so few articles to start with. However, I'm wondering, what does it take to get U.S.-based bank CC affiliate links? Is there a way to apply to Chase, Amex, and the others? Or is it Don't Call Us, We'll Call You?

I like Google AdSense because the process seemed fair. You submit your site, then wait to see if approved. While approved, I've only made 30 cents in the first week. Hope to become Fiddy Cent, so to say, by the end of next week. But it's going to be a grueling process trying to monetize via AdSense, I suspect.

Which leads me back to my question about how one obtains CC affiliate links. Since this post is quite old, thought I'd bump it up and see who and what shows up. And please, don't be cruel--to a heart that's true. :-)
Couple suggestions:

No one travels free - erase that from your tagline. YQ, surcharges and every other expense that hotel room and airfare don't cover. Don't set your readership up with false expectations.

If you're starting another points and miles blog to make money, you have to truly do something unique, i.e. not a blog. From your first posts and your site you are doing exactly what hundreds have done before you and what they are doing every day.

If your heart is truly set (and I mean you will give years of blood sweat and tears while losing money to do this this) on making money through points and miles - your best bet is to go to every points and miles meet up in the US to network and get on with an established blog as a freelancer. Build your name doing that for 2-3 years spending 4-5 hours per post for little money making quality, original content and then through those developed relationships and new found credibility find a unique (not a blog) avenue in this arena.

Sorry if it is harsh, setting expectations.
kokonutz and bthotugigem05 like this.
Richklhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 17, 10:08 am   #65
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles & Hilton Honors forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richklhs View Post
No one travels free - erase that from your tagline.
Please allow me to further clarify.

Even during the golden years of miles and points when “free” travel was easier to accomplish, scoring a trifecta of using miles and points for airlines, lodging and vehicle rentals was nearly impossible due to different promotion periods, different qualification criteria and scheduling.

Today, you still can use points for a free — meaning truly free, where you walk out of the hotel without paying a single penny — stay at a hotel or resort property; but how much money did you spend to earn those points? How much time did you invest to earn enough points to do so? Some people consider opportunity costs to still be a cost.

Literally hundreds of weblogs pertaining to travel, miles and points exist today. The most successful — meaning profitable — ones did not start out with the primary goal of earning a significant amount of money by selling credit cards. They started out years ago writing about personal experiences, detailed analysis, comparisons of programs, deals, sweepstakes, and other content which interested readers — and they did so with their own voice.

Anyone who launches a travel blog these days should do so for the sheer passion of it and consider it a personal diary of sorts. Monetizing it will take a lot of effort and patience, as doing so may take years; and unique content — not just recycling the content of someone else — is a requirement for any remote possibility of success.
kokonutz likes this.
Canarsie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 17, 11:42 am   #66

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarsie View Post
Please allow me to further clarify.

Even during the golden years of miles and points when “free” travel was easier to accomplish, scoring a trifecta of using miles and points for airlines, lodging and vehicle rentals was nearly impossible due to different promotion periods, different qualification criteria and scheduling.

Today, you still can use points for a free — meaning truly free, where you walk out of the hotel without paying a single penny — stay at a hotel or resort property; but how much money did you spend to earn those points? How much time did you invest to earn enough points to do so? Some people consider opportunity costs to still be a cost.

Literally hundreds of weblogs pertaining to travel, miles and points exist today. The most successful — meaning profitable — ones did not start out with the primary goal of earning a significant amount of money by selling credit cards. They started out years ago writing about personal experiences, detailed analysis, comparisons of programs, deals, sweepstakes, and other content which interested readers — and they did so with their own voice.

Anyone who launches a travel blog these days should do so for the sheer passion of it and consider it a personal diary of sorts. Monetizing it will take a lot of effort and patience, as doing so may take years; and unique content — not just recycling the content of someone else — is a requirement for any remote possibility of success.
Well said.
ctownflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 17, 3:53 pm   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
With readership "near nil" not even credit cards.com will throw you a bone...
Nearly nil may be hyperbole; but close enough. :-) Besides, my main aim is to share what I know with friends, family, and colleagues. It's easy to point them to my blog now if we're talking about a particular concept. More efficient. If the blog turns into something of value to others outside that circle, great. But writing is its own reward.

And yes, I know no one travels truly free. But "heavily subsidized" doesn't have the same jazz. Seriously. :-) I do know I'd never be able to take the journeys I've made as a regular revenue airline and hotel customer. To me, it's Free Enough.
moretimeoffguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 17, 4:31 pm   #68

Quote:
Besides, my main aim is to share what I know with friends, family, and colleagues...And yes, I know no one travels truly free. But "heavily subsidized" doesn't have the same jazz. Seriously. .
You have gotten some excellent FREE advice here.
The specific quotes above...is stuff we have heard thousands of times, seriously!
Old Sep 13, 17, 6:17 am   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
I think if you're going in with the foremost goal of getting CC affiliate links, you've already started off on the wrong foot. It's usually obvious when a blog is trying to create content just to get into the CC affiliate marketing game. The internet has plenty of alleged "miles & points", aka Credit Card Salesmen, blogs. BoardingArea alone adds another wannabe blogger every twenty seconds or so, most of them reblogging one another and recycling the same content as an excuse to pump more links. What would attract readers to another new site unless there is some really original and unique content?
I know exactly what you mean. Anyone can survey the titles any given day on a points blog aggregator like MilesFeed.com and see the content is mostly the same recirculated "news." I'm writing what I want; and what I think will be of most interest to people I know personally. I've always enjoyed writing and have done some non-fiction travel and personal finance writing for pay. Was never able to monetize that into a full-time gig, so it's remained a hobby.

What I've always found satisfying was interaction with readers. That kept me going when I published a 'zine (small underground, *no* profit mag) in the late 80's. So far, not a single written comment on any of the articles. That's more discouraging than anything else.

For now, I'll keep going. 18 articles so far. Writing is its own reward.
Old Sep 13, 17, 9:39 am   #70

18 so far...

I will add you to my feedly when you hit 50
Old Sep 13, 17, 4:06 pm   #71

Programs: BA Gold, former Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Diamond, Caesars Diamond, Momentum *SOAR*
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
18 so far...

When do I get to be added to your feedly?
baccarat_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 17, 11:47 am   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
18 so far...

Sounds fair. Lotta writing to do. :-)

True to my wishes, I received my first blog comment; from--a neighbor. Exactly the type of person I'm trying to help / reach. Will I be able to monetize the blog? Doubtful. But then as people here have already said, essentially, Good Luck With That; it shouldn't be the aim. I can dream, but the reality's become clearer.

I did get approved by several affiliates--even CreditCards.com, via Commission Junction. No revenue yet. Likely best to keep writing and stop looking (at revenue and traffic). Could easily see it taking years to build up. Good thing I'm not betting the farm on this project. For now, and perhaps forever, it's just an extension of my miles and points hobby; like a business card I can hand out when people ask, "how are you taking all these trips?"

Thanks again to all for the help. Admittedly, it was Tough Love I didn't, at first, want much to hear. But I appreciate it now.
Old Sep 14, 17, 4:22 pm   #73

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
I would wait before running credit card affiliate links. Get some regular traffic (around 1000 sessions/day I'd think) first or else you likely won't be able to meet their quotas and will have your links removed. The compliance required for credit card links is onerous and will take you away from the absolute most important thing at this point in your blog's life, which is writing and producing great (and hopefully evergreen) content.
bthotugigem05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 17, 1:21 am   #74
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Quote:
Sounds fair. Lotta writing to do. :-)

True to my wishes, I received my first blog comment; from--a neighbor. Exactly the type of person I'm trying to help / reach. Will I be able to monetize the blog? Doubtful. But then as people here have already said, essentially, Good Luck With That; it shouldn't be the aim. I can dream, but the reality's become clearer.

I did get approved by several affiliates--even CreditCards.com, via Commission Junction. No revenue yet. Likely best to keep writing and stop looking (at revenue and traffic). Could easily see it taking years to build up. Good thing I'm not betting the farm on this project. For now, and perhaps forever, it's just an extension of my miles and points hobby; like a business card I can hand out when people ask, "how are you taking all these trips?"

Thanks again to all for the help. Admittedly, it was Tough Love I didn't, at first, want much to hear. But I appreciate it now.
Let me put this in context for you.

When I started Head for Points five years ago, I wrote the first 2 months in secret. That was 60 articles that no-one read, because I wanted to see if I could do it.

I then rolled it out and ran it off 'free' WordPress for seven months. I had readers, but no income, since at that point you were not allowed to put ads or affiliate links on free WP sites.

So that was nine months with literally nothing.

After that point I switched over to a new theme, ads etc on self-hosted WordPress. And now, five years on, it may be the biggest site outside North America. But that is the sort of time frame you should look at.

* And, spookily, I am nominated for UK Business Travel Editor of the Year, Scoop of the Year and my colleague is up for Best Newcomer to Business Travel or Meetings & Events Journalism at the 2017 Business Travel Journalism Awards next month. Give it 5 years and you might manage the same.
Raffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 17, 9:30 am   #75

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, SPG/MR Plat, IHG Plat
You were also "first in the UK", @Raffles, and had an uncanny insight into what well-off business travellers, etc. weren't getting from the mainstream travel press about Avios, etc.

It's far far more difficult than just blogging for 3, 5, even 10 years and assuming that the readers / money will eventually start rolling in. You need to have something unique that can't be plagiarised or copied and then have enough luck so as to be noticed.

For the OP, just write for the joy of it. If you are any good, opportunities will arise that you would never have imagined. It won't be getting rich from credit card links or Google Ads.
craigthemif is offline   Reply With Quote