Go Back   > >

Old Feb 25, 14, 6:22 pm   #16
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, TSA Pre!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingy View Post
You are correct in regards to cc affiliate links. I'm not sure the other advertisers care but the wording will be similar in their agreements as well.
Maybe someday a former blogger will describe in detail how a points and miles blogger makes money and how much they make.

And hopefully that post will contain several images of women in bikinis!
kokonutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 14, 7:09 pm   #17
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
Maybe someday a former blogger will describe in detail how a points and miles blogger makes money and how much they make.

I'm sure someday a former blogger will be released from his or her NDA and give all the juicy details and numbers. As for the bikini photos, try the SI Swimsuit edition
ingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 14, 8:10 pm   #18
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for some of the bloggers their revenue is apparently not a secret
Kagehitokiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 14, 6:38 am   #19
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
for some of the bloggers their revenue is apparently not a secret
A couple of years ago, one of the bloggers reported that he paid quarterly income taxes (on his credit card). I forget the amount (possibly searchable on thepointsguy), but I calculated his income to be $250,000. Now I'm not an accountant, so that number may be higher/lower. However you look at it, it's a lot of dough (dollars/pounds etc).

Kagehitokiri, Since this is public, which blogger was sharing his/her revenue?
dhammer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 14, 7:03 am   #20
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Look at it this way ... Points Guy has at least 2 full time employees as well as Brian. Million Mile Secrets was advertising 2 full time jobs (with health insurance, to give him credit) recently.

My best guess is that TPG is getting over $1m pa. That is probably understating it given his readership numbers, which are public.

That would only require 30 credit card referrals per day at an average of $100, ignoring all other revenue streams.

Last edited by Raffles; Feb 26, 14 at 7:09 am
Raffles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 14, 2:28 pm   #21
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles & Hilton Honors forums

Quote:
Compensation — if any — depends on the business model.

Revenue can be in the form of a set amount per entry; a percentage of advertising revenue; a share based on unique views; a commissions from affiliate partners; or even a combination thereof, as some examples...
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 14, 2:50 pm   #22

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, TSA Pre!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarsie View Post
Compensation if any depends on the business model.

Revenue can be in the form of a set amount per entry; a percentage of advertising revenue; a share based on unique views; a commissions from affiliate partners; or even a combination thereof, as some examples...
Understood. The mystery is actual numbers.
Old Feb 26, 14, 3:12 pm   #23
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
My best guess is that TPG is getting over $1m pa. That is probably understating it given his readership numbers, which are public. That would only require 30 credit card referrals per day at an average of $100, ignoring all other revenue streams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammer53 View Post
couple of years ago...I calculated his income to be $250,000

Kagehitokiri, Since this is public, which blogger was sharing his/her revenue?
Quote:
Understood. The mystery is actual numbers.
i thought this was another thing that many regulars know, that is not posted on FT. i have heard specific numbers, and im not part of any of the group discussions off-FT. (like all the deals that are discussed off-FT, that are not posted.)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 26, 14 at 5:03 pm
Kagehitokiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 14, 5:51 am   #24
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Quote:

Some of the bloggers look good in bikinis, or even without them. Others, not so much.

I'm sort of surprised by the numbers for some of them, but the field is increasingly pretty competitive. Sex appeal can sell too.
GUWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 14, 11:38 am   #25
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles & Hilton Honors forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Some of the bloggers look good in bikinis, or even without them. Others, not so much.
Believe me when I say that you will never find me wearing a bikini...

...and that is an absolute promise.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 14, 1:36 pm   #26

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
There's no question cc affiliates are the most lucrative but aren't easy to get until you're pretty established. From what I was told directly from affiliate marketers is that Amex expects 20+ apps a month, Chase 100+, Citi 100+, while Discover and Barclays have no requirements. I just started my site flymiler and I have a ways to go but any insight or advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
julsdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 14, 12:25 pm   #27

Banks with Huge Advertising Budgets

When you consider that the banks are spending big bucks to advertise their credit card products on the Superbowl, the Olympics, the Oscars, etc, its interesting that they also have an interest in advertising in the blogosphere.

Where I think many of the blogs fall down, is by posting what looks like verbatim advertising from the banks, without an objective discussion of the pros and cons of various products.
restonva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 14, 1:56 pm   #28
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by julsdaman View Post
There's no question cc affiliates are the most lucrative but aren't easy to get until you're pretty established. From what I was told directly from affiliate marketers is that Amex expects 20+ apps a month, Chase 100+, Citi 100+, while Discover and Barclays have no requirements. I just started my site flymiler and I have a ways to go but any insight or advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
First bit of insight - on an ipad, your menu bar runs onto 2 lines.

This is a 'feature' of WP - you need to check how the site looks on different bits of hardware. A line that just squeezes in on a PC can flip over in iOS.

Head for Points, you will see, has a chunk of empty menu bar space next to 'Contact' for this very reason.
Raffles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 14, 7:57 am   #29

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
First bit of insight - on an ipad, your menu bar runs onto 2 lines.

This is a 'feature' of WP - you need to check how the site looks on different bits of hardware. A line that just squeezes in on a PC can flip over in iOS.

Head for Points, you will see, has a chunk of empty menu bar space next to 'Contact' for this very reason.
Thanks I'll look into that and thanks for checking out the site!
julsdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 14, 2:08 pm   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by restonva View Post
When you consider that the banks are spending big bucks to advertise their credit card products on the Superbowl, the Olympics, the Oscars, etc, its interesting that they also have an interest in advertising in the blogosphere.

Where I think many of the blogs fall down, is by posting what looks like verbatim advertising from the banks, without an objective discussion of the pros and cons of various products.
Social media marketing is where it's at, baby. Lots of bang for the buck!