Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Mommy Points Mentions Coupon Connection ...

Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

...in her blog post here: http://boardingarea.com/mommypoints/...-older-adults/

I personally see a problem with this as she's outing a private sub-forum on a public blog where 99% of the readers don't have access to it. The few that do have access to it don't need to be reminded about it on her public blog IMO.

I realize not everyone has a friend with expiring upgrades, but you can take a look at the Coupon Connection forum on Flyertalk and sometimes strike a deal with a new “friend”.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is hardly private. If the airlines really cared they'd be all over it. All of them have accounts which could be eligible for access.

And what's wrong with a blog encouraging people to participate more in the forums??
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
I personally see a problem with this as she's outing a private sub-forum on a public blog where 99% of the readers don't have access to it.
If anything, that will encourage posters to join FT and meet the requirements for entry there. I've never considered it a private forum. When the Talk Board raised the entry requirements they referred to the forum as a reward for contributing to FT. If we get new members that want to start on the road to meeting those requirements, I'd say "welcome aboard".
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
I have less a problem with this then the bloggers who do nothing but lift flyertalk threads for their content. Especially when this results in killing deals or good fares
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by sbm12
It is hardly private. If the airlines really cared they'd be all over it. All of them have accounts which could be eligible for access.

And what's wrong with a blog encouraging people to participate more in the forums??
I agree, it's nice to see some references back to FT!

I know the CC rules seem to come up for debate here and there. I tend to also think that if the airlines were that bent out of shape over it, they'd do something about it already. It's not as if the official airline company reps on FT don't see the forum so it's not a secret.

Brings to mind the FD thread and the coding, etc. Now I know that's slightly different as the airlines have taken action as a result of dumping getting publicity, as I understand. But while it doesn't hurt to obfuscate things, the word puzzles and codes on there aren't unbreakable by any means - some are pretty obvious. If an airline wanted to have an employee spend the time on it, they could figure them out.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA

Most bloggers are stealing info from this site and others. They even steal ( Tip of the Hat or whatever) from each other. Very few are originals.

Say what you want but OMAAT provides a different style by traveling and testing products.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 2:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Some of the airline lurkers I know do peek at the CC, MR and FD threads and are more amused than concerned. Their policy is: loopholes are OK as long as the cost in revenue loss is lower than the cost to fix the loophole.

Speaking for myself every secret nook on the interweb I got access to has been similar to other personal experiences: after an initial rush of neurochemicals boredom sets in as you realise you can't really use every trick posted there...
Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, that is a very private forum!

https://www.google.com/search?q=flye...m=122&ie=UTF-8

And, if anything - all you helped do is make it even LESS private as people who don't read that blog now know all about this so called private forum...
Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by ScottC
Yeah, that is a very private forum!

https://www.google.com/search?q=flye...m=122&ie=UTF-8
Loved this entry in the search results:

FlyerTalk Coupons: Get 50% Discount, Coupon Codes for January ...
www.retailmenot.com Travel Flight‎
Save money on things you want with a FlyerTalk promo code or coupon. 12 FlyerTalk coupons now on RetailMeNot.
Lol!
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by tom911
If anything, that will encourage posters to join FT and meet the requirements for entry there. I've never considered it a private forum. When the Talk Board raised the entry requirements they referred to the forum as a reward for contributing to FT. If we get new members that want to start on the road to meeting those requirements, I'd say "welcome aboard".
I agree. A sudden influx however of new members post padding simply to gain entry into CC I would welcome less. Just MHO.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:45 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
But Spiff and I have ways of taking care of them...

Originally Posted by tcook052
I agree. A sudden influx however of new members post padding simply to gain entry into CC I would welcome less. Just MHO.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 2:25 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Well I'd rather have bloggers link to FT where there is actual information rather than linking to an otherwise blank copycat MM thread. @:-)

And I don't have an issue with pointing folks to CC, but if CC starts getting pumped to the fat wallet crowd as a place to get something for nothing, well, that would kind of suck.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: A few
Meh who cares? CC is just hub for mileage brokers now anyway. Very hard to find real trades there, though I did get a couple of good ones last year after weeding through the obvious brokers with their [email protected] email addresses
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by kokonutz
And I don't have an issue with pointing folks to CC, but if CC starts getting pumped to the fat wallet crowd as a place to get something for nothing, well, that would kind of suck.
They're already all over FT... seems to me that FT has become a regular recommended site for those looking to travel for free.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I'm not sure how I feel about a blog that is named "Mommy Points"... I can't get the vision of kids ransacking the lounge while mommy buys 'just one more mistake fare' out of my head.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.