Reload this Page >

Bloggers posting wrong and misleading advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bloggers posting wrong and misleading advice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
And with this post, http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ill-get-hosed/, the lights go out for me on VFTW. Not an award sale even applicable to Americans, which he doesn't note and even gives the impression is applicable to flights from anywhere but London, but an opportunity for ol' Gar to beat on one of his favorite whipping boys, BA.

RTFT&C, Gary.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:37 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
And with this post, http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ill-get-hosed/, the lights go out for me on VFTW. Not an award sale even applicable to Americans, which he doesn't note and even gives the impression is applicable to flights from anywhere but London, but an opportunity for ol' Gar to beat on one of his favorite whipping boys, BA.

RTFT&C, Gary.
I've gradually cut down going to his site...the shilling for AA and non-stop credit cards did it to me.

I'm slowly becoming a kokonutz airline agnostic.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Frugal Travel Guy posts today about 5 must-have card types for travel. Chase Sapphire Preferred and the Barclays Arrival Card get starred for being Chip & Pin; other lesser cards are noted for having Chip & Signature capability, which can often serve in a pinch.

Knowledgeable readers already know that the CSP card is, in fact, Chip & Signature, and that the Barclays Card is principally also Chip & Signature (with backup PIN capability).

Knowledgeable travelers, and even not-so-knowledgeable ones like me, know that this is not a trivial or minor issue. Is my card going to work in that train kiosk or am I going to have to brave that 45 minute line at the manned desk?

How can you run a travel blog and not know (or at least not care about) the basics?

The comments to the post, of course, picked up on all this instantly.

Last edited by FallenPlat; Nov 21, 2014 at 9:17 am Reason: Corrected blog name.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Who cares about stuff like this? What matters is conversions!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Frugal Travel Guy posts today about 5 must-have card types for travel. Chase Sapphire Preferred and the Barclays Arrival Card get starred for being Chip & Pin; other lesser cards are noted for having Chip & Signature capability, which can often serve in a pinch.

Knowledgeable readers already know that the CSP card is, in fact, Chip & Signature, and that the Barclays Card is principally also Chip & Signature (with backup PIN capability).

Knowledgeable travelers, and even not-so-knowledgeable ones like me, know that this is not a trivial or minor issue. Is my card going to work in that train kiosk or am I going to have to brave that 45 minute line at the manned desk?

How can you run a travel blog and not know (or at least not care about) the basics?

The comments to the post, of course, picked up on all this instantly.
And in that same paragraph she even notes that the Chase Hyatt card is Chip-and-Signature only, contrasting it to Sapphire Preferred.

The post was from 19 Nov and here, two days later and after comments calling out the errors, it remains uncorrected. It's even one of the rotating things on the FT home page. Amazing.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
Disappointed that many times some bloggers just copy what other bloggers wrote without verifying them..
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:03 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Can we include the bits of FT that present themselves in a blog-like way?

This appallingly lazy piece tells us that Lufthansa plans "global rollout" of their new Premium Economy to BLR-LHR and "every long-haul route in India".
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
And in that same paragraph she even notes that the Chase Hyatt card is Chip-and-Signature only, contrasting it to Sapphire Preferred.

The post was from 19 Nov and here, two days later and after comments calling out the errors, it remains uncorrected. It's even one of the rotating things on the FT home page. Amazing.
Originally Posted by FallenPlat

+1 to both of these. To me this just shows how little travel these authors really do. There are a lot of hacks in the blog world that present themselves as knowledgable writers unfortunately.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by stackm
While not "wrong" or "misleading" I think it's shameful that no one mentions that US Bank Club Carlson runs 10x dining for most cardholders from Nov 1 - Dec 31. Those points will take you further than 3x Chase points and are valid for two full months. And these promos are often run once or twice a year.
I have been targeted three consecutive times spanning back to June, all my restaurant spend goes here. Screw First Friday

I went to AMS via HNL...but that was years ago when status mattered. Since 2012 I entered free agency and love WN for domestic trips on points! Now if I had a dollar for every time every blogger raved about the Southwest Companion Pass...easiest & most often used template ever!
Old Nov 28, 2014, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Now if I had a dollar for every time every blogger raved about the Southwest Companion Pass...easiest & most often used template ever!
I remember my first Ann Arbor DO in maybe 2007. I was LITERALLY the only guy there touting the WN Companion Pass, as maybe the best deal in all of FFland.

Everyone else told me I was completely insane. "WN sucks, no F, no meals, no reserved seats, no Europe, no Hawaii, ….."

Last edited by toomanybooks; Nov 28, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Old Nov 28, 2014, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I remember my first Ann Arbor DO in maybe 2007. I was LITERALLY the only guy there touting the WN Companion Pass, as maybe the best deal in all of FFland.
I remember that!
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I'd almost forgotten what it might be like if an adult posted about Delta's changes to SkyMiles: http://mjontravel.boardingarea.com/2...lines-reviews/. No moral outrage here; just simply a cost/benefit analysis that takes into consideration that a business has a right to make decisions as best they can in order to make profits. And that a customer has a right to dump a program that no longer serves him well.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I'd almost forgotten what it might be like if an adult posted about Delta's changes to SkyMiles: http://mjontravel.boardingarea.com/2...lines-reviews/. No moral outrage here; just simply a cost/benefit analysis that takes into consideration that a business has a right to make decisions as best they can in order to make profits. And that a customer has a right to dump a program that no longer serves him well.
Night and Day compared to the mess of 'content' on the DeltaPoints blog.

I generally agree with what MJ said there.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
MJ on Travel is actually one of my favorite blogs, and frequently has truly excellent insight into what's going on in AA-land, which is great for a hub captive like me. I just skip the cruise stuff.

As for the other blog mentioned above, you know it provides some of us with practically endless entertainment, right?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:43 am

I really like it when Gary tells airport authorities, hotels, and airlines how to run their businesses. It's sort of like a person who eats telling Thomas Keller how to run Per Se.

No pingbacks here because it's now something he does every day or so. And amazingly, no one in a position of authority seems to be listening to him. Shocked, I am, shocked!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.