Wiki Posts
Search

Bloggers posting wrong and misleading advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GUWonder
DL actually dropped free stopovers on delta.com
Yes, but many reported it was more significant than that.

and is still planning to drop free stopovers.
Probably, but not confirmed yet.

About bloggers posting wrong or misleading advice, it would be fascinating to know who has what investment (including long and short) positions and other financial relationships with the airlines covered.
I have none. Given that I occasionally have access to inside information that would be a very, very bad idea. Dunno about others.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes, but many reported it was more significant than that.

Probably, but not confirmed yet.

I have none. Given that I occasionally have access to inside information that would be a very, very bad idea. Dunno about others.
With regard to corresponding paragraphs above:

1. It's more significant than just delta.com.

2. It's confirmed, even as DL could revise plans to change the timing.

3. I can empathize with not wanting to end up in a situation where you may be hit by insider trading allegations. That said, investment-related positions aren't the only kind of financial relationships that may exist with a given airline and/or industry.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:23 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
3. I can empathize with not wanting to end up in a situation where you may be hit by insider trading allegations. That said, investment-related positions aren't the only kind of financial relationships that may exist with a given airline and/or industry.
My company pays lifestyle bloggers to promote our products. And we have a very strict NDA with them. @:-)

That's the beauty of the blogosphere from a marketing perspective: they SEEM like impartial journalists/consumer advocates, but at heart they are just (or at least CAN be just) salespeople.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kokonutz
My company pays lifestyle bloggers to promote our products. And we have a very strict NDA with them. @:-)

That's the beauty of the blogosphere from a marketing perspective: they SEEM like impartial journalists/consumer advocates, but at heart they are just (or at least CAN be just) salespeople.
And yet if they do not declare that it is paid product placement both you and the blogger are likely in violation of FTC rules regarding advertising.

http://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/fil...mentguides.pdf
http://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/fil...isclosures.pdf
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
And yet if they do not declare that it is paid product placement both you and the blogger are likely in violation of FTC rules regarding advertising.

http://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/fil...mentguides.pdf
http://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/fil...isclosures.pdf
Our lawyers are comfortable with fairly generic disclosures.

But of course there is more than one way to skin a blogger. For example, a blogger might get hired to do a special video or other promotion that might influence their blogging as well. Etc ad nauseum. @:-)
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I personally prefer stickers over unlimited free upgrades too, because I like to buy premium tickets, sometimes at the last minute. And there is nothing worse than not being able to find space on a flight to BUY 2 premium tickets on a flight because the premium cabin is full of upgraders. And, for the same reason, I like it when a premium cabin is not packed to the gills from time to time.

So I don't have an issue with Gary's position. In fact, I think it would be awesome if AA changed its policy so that ExPlats had to use stickers too!!!! @:-)@:-)@:-)@:-) (I seriously doubt Gary would agree with THAT!).
One thing I like about US, they do not fill their cabin with upgrades, the first row is not released until day of departure so people like yourself can purchase a seat if needed. It has worked out in my fave a couple of times.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 2:59 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Taking shamelessness to the next level...: TPG today on which (US) credit cards are best for earning hotel status.

Early on we are told that HHonors Gold brings lounge access (it doesn't, although it will sometimes get you an upgrade to a room that comes with access).

That's relatively harmless, though. The scumbag bit is completely failing to mention no fewer than three hotel cards (Carlson, IHG, Hyatt) that confer status regardless of spend and at least one more non-hotel card (UA MileagePlus Club) that does the same.

Last edited by IMH; Nov 2, 2014 at 4:57 pm Reason: corrected an error: the MileagePlus Club card gives Hyatt status, not the Explorer.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by IMH
Taking shamelessness to the next level...: TPG today on which (US) credit cards are best for earning hotel status.

Early on we are told that HHonors Gold brings lounge access (it doesn't, although it will sometimes get you an upgrade to a room that comes with access).

That's relatively harmless, though. The scumbag bit is completely failing to mention no fewer than three hotel cards (Carlson, IHG, Hyatt) that confer status regardless of spend and at least one more non-hotel card (Chase UA Explorer) that does the same.
Wow. Not even a MENTION of any cards he doesn't earn money on.

A real worst practice post.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Wow. Not even a MENTION of any cards he doesn't earn money on.

A real worst practice post.
Interestingly, over at TBB, he isn't the guy earning money on any of the referrals... Apparently he would the site to bankrate.com back in 2012...
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:03 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by freeloader
Interestingly, over at TBB, he isn't the guy earning money on any of the referrals
It's safe to assume that everyone at TPG earns money for their work there.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by freeloader
Interestingly, over at TBB, he isn't the guy earning money on any of the referrals... Apparently he would the site to bankrate.com back in 2012...
Today Tabloid Buzzard joined the affiliate market with links (not that he will disclose what he is paid).
Let's see if he direct links to card offers or only links to his card tab from this point out?
At least the TBB Amazon link may get less that 100 mentions per post now so there is that.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Giggles.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:07 am

George, thanks for adding a text link to supplement the banner. Similarly for your Amazon banner on the front page. For those of us with ....... installed we can't see or click on anything. I used your Amazon link this weekend but took some effort to hunt it down.

Last edited by HikerT; Nov 3, 2014 at 10:12 am
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: DL, Amex MR
Originally Posted by Delta Points
Today Tabloid Buzzard joined the affiliate market with links (not that he will disclose what he is paid).
Let's see if he direct links to card offers or only links to his card tab from this point out?
At least the TBB Amazon link may get less that 100 mentions per post now so there is that.
"blah blah blah" your blog is completely irrelevant

Last edited by satz; Nov 3, 2014 at 11:04 am Reason: removed personal attack
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:46 pm

I remember Delta saying they were working to fix their award engine over the coming months. That was back in 2010.

I must admit, I didn't think they meant 60 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.