Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Do bloggers seek permission when taking photo during a flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

While I'm not aware of current airline policies, it seems that several blogs have in the past documented that passengers on several airlines are restricted from taking photos of cabin crew or other passengers:
http://www.independenttraveler.com/t...he-no-fly-list
http://upgrd.com/matthew/thrown-off-...-pictures.html
http://www.johnnyjet.com/2013/03/is-...n-an-airplane/

I was curious what the general opinion on this was? I see passengers in the background on an almost daily basis in trip reports. Sometimes not even in the background:

Then there are the bloggers who like to post photos of other passengers on purpose:

Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
I have never asked for permission - but I refrain from taking photos of other people. If I want to include a flight attendant in the picture, I ask first.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
I remember one time I asked at onemileatatime if they considered blurring passengers faces on pics in trip reports. The response I got was somewhere along the line of they didn't because they wanted the photos to seem more real.

Mind you, a tad bit hypocritical considering they NEVER post a picture of themselves or any of their traveling companions. Privacy should work birth ways.

I respect VFTW that even though their travel pics include other passengers, they aren't afraid to photograph themselves.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:17 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
People doing things in public have no reasonable expectation of privacy.

(Not sure anyone, except the owner, could identify those feet).

Personally, I try to avoid using photos where staff or other passengers can be identified.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Markie

(Not sure anyone, except the owner, could identify those feet).

Personally, I try to avoid using photos where staff or other passengers can be identified.
Personally I feel I should have the right to privacy on an airplane from this type of photography. If I'm sleeping or eating a meal I don't exactly want someone from the media taking my photo and publishing it to the masses. Isn't being in an airplane different than walking down the street?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:06 am

Programs: United 1P; AA Gold; National EE; SPG Plat; HH Gold; Fairmont Plat
Here is a relevant blog post on the subject: http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...-on-airplanes/
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:40 am

What about all of the photos on take-off and landing? I am always amazed at the amount of photos from the times when electronics are to be off.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Markie
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Personally I feel I should have the right to privacy on an airplane from this type of photography.
Note that some countries have laws against taking photos of anyone anywhere, Germany is one of them.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:31 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Whenever I see someone taking a cabin photo in first or business i make sure to photobomb the picture. @:-)^
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Note that some countries have laws against taking photos of anyone anywhere, Germany is one of them.
However, after take-off you're not IN Germany any more.

In my view there is a difference between what is legal and what is ethical. Personally I'm not someone who gets out their camera at every opportunity. There are plenty of videos of German airports on YouTube which contain peoples photos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.