Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Bierjunge
One thing that made me wonder while reading his post, was that he still has ExPlat Status. I guess he just quit writing about his AA flights as long as nothing noteworthy happend.
It's also contrary to his business model that travel is free, just click on the links. Sort of defeats the sales pitch when the pitcher is paying for his tickets.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EP
He has said that he would requalify for EP. He mentioned that he was using the Barclay's EQDs (or was planning to)

Originally Posted by Bierjunge
One thing that made me wonder while reading his post, was that he still has ExPlat Status. I guess he just quit writing about his AA flights as long as nothing noteworthy happend.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by cruisr
It's also contrary to his business model that travel is free, just click on the links. Sort of defeats the sales pitch when the pitcher is paying for his tickets.
How many times, say in the last 3 years, did he ever claim on the blog that travel is free?
He also said many times that he travels domestically a lot with paid tickets, and doesn't do reports on them because it wouldn't make sense.
Like someone said recently, to talk about something it's good idea to learn the fact first.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by mikex163
How many times, say in the last 3 years, did he ever claim on the blog that travel is free?
He also said many times that he travels domestically a lot with paid tickets, and doesn't do reports on them because it wouldn't make sense.
Like someone said recently, to talk about something it's good idea to learn the fact first.
Why would it not make sense to do reports on his paid domestic travels. THAT makes no sense. I think there would be more of a readership interest then for other trip reports.

So he stopped saying that one can travel for free three years ago? That would be about the time I stopped reading him on a regular basis as I got sick of his credit card shilling so people could "travel for free". I only go over if someone here (whose opinion I respect) mentions something that has been posted on the his blog. Glad to see he has mended his ways and is not claiming that flying in F is free.

Having been a FT member for 13 years I do remember when Ben (on FT) and his blog were a lot different and IMHO better than they are today. I think I know the facts. I will say I admire the way he can pump out posts.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Well... http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...-free-20150720
kokonutz and cruisr like this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Today's post of the "10 best cards this month" had nary a mention of the 75K Prestige offer. I wonder if it will suddenly make the cut after non-TPG affiliate links go live after the first of August?
Originally Posted by gpapadop
I don't bet. Only when I am assured of winning. This is one such bet
Sure enough, the August "top 10" list now has the Prestige 75K offer!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by skunker
That's not his blog.

Why would it not make sense to do reports on his paid domestic travels. THAT makes no sense. I think there would be more of a readership interest then for other trip reports.
If you want to run his blog, make an offer. Otherwise, you have no say in its content. Just because you think it makes sense, doesn't make it so for him.
I've never seen him review domestic travel except for a few specific instances (new aircraft like the 787 or new services like Mint, and the like), so I don't understand exactly what the surprise is.

So he stopped saying that one can travel for free three years ago? That would be about the time I stopped reading him on a regular basis as I got sick of his credit card shilling so people could "travel for free". I only go over if someone here (whose opinion I respect) mentions something that has been posted on the his blog. Glad to see he has mended his ways and is not claiming that flying in F is free.
So, you spend so much time commenting a blog you don't read? All righty then.
3 years was a completely arbitrary deadline. People that comment the blog after reading it (crazy, I know), know that "free travel" has not been the focus of the blog for a long time.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:42 pm

The most recent exemple of traveling for "free": http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...n-trip-report/

$2770 in flights + $221 in hotels.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:42 pm
Suspended

The most recent exemple of traveling for "free"...
Hasn't this already to be demonstrated to be a bit of a red herring?
bthotugigem05 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:38 am

That's not his blog.

If you want to run his blog, make an offer. Otherwise, you have no say in its content. Just because you think it makes sense, doesn't make it so for him.
I've never seen him review domestic travel except for a few specific instances (new aircraft like the 787 or new services like Mint, and the like), so I don't understand exactly what the surprise is.

So, you spend so much time commenting a blog you don't read? All righty then.
3 years was a completely arbitrary deadline. People that comment the blog after reading it (crazy, I know), know that "free travel" has not been the focus of the blog for a long time.

Where did I say I don't read it at all? I said I stopped reading it on a regular basis. I also said that I go over there if a poster here comments on something on OMAAT or posts a link. I can go over there and read 1,2 or 5 posts and form opinions based on those posts.

Obviously I have no say in his blog but a business and it looks like you are saying I can't have an opinion on what I'd like to see either.

His "about Lucky" blurb on the home page states he travels 400k miles a year mostly on miles and points. Someone new to this may think that that means it's free since there is not a price tag attached. That's all I am saying.

Have a nice day and relax. It's almost the weekend.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
The answer to the question posed by the very estimable JonNYC, of course, is not just Yes but Yes several times over.

I don't personally read the blog much anymore just because discount premium-cabin flights on airlines I've never heard of to places I've barely heard of isn't really my thing.

The posts on Spirit, though, were pretty good, and so I'm still an occasional reader.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
The most recent exemple of traveling for "free": http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...n-trip-report/

$2770 in flights + $221 in hotels.
More than that....4 nights in Tashkent at $55 per night, 1 night in Dushanbe at $46/night and 2 nights in Dubai at $120/night. So just North of $500 for hotels. Combined with $3800 in one way flights for 2 pax, the tab is $4300 total not considering the cost of miles used, the cost of meals or other transportation that cannot be redeemed via miles.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
More than that....4 nights in Tashkent at $55 per night, 1 night in Dushanbe at $46/night and 2 nights in Dubai at $120/night. So just North of $500 for hotels. Combined with $3800 in one way flights for 2 pax, the tab is $4300 total not considering the cost of miles used, the cost of meals or other transportation that cannot be redeemed via miles.
Gotta get those write-offs - doubt miles are easily calculated for the IRS.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Yeah, you're right. In my stupidity forgot to pay attention that it was more than 1 night in each place.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:54 pm

Yeah, you're right. In my stupidity forgot to pay attention that it was more than 1 night in each place.
Sounds like you have an exciting hobby

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.