Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by mikex163
You should read the thread then. Plenty of people want to keep the card (myself included, the $55 more compared to the CSP makes it a steal just on 3x dining and travel, even not considering stuff like lounge access or better travel insurance - and since I'm at 20/24, I didn't get the 100k UR points unfortunately, had to upgrade from the CSP, making $150 on the process for now).
Do you really think a card that generates more than 100 pages of discussion in a week has no one excited? Yeah right.

I haven't seem an affiliate link on OMAAT in the dozen or so posts about the CSR, but feel free to let us know where did you find it!
See, churner.

This card is getting hyped like the Chase Hyatt card, CSP, and the Citi AA Exec before that, which also had a 100k signup bonus and was churned beyond belief. How many AAdvantage accounts were shutdown because of the shenanigans associated with that card?

The lounge access is Priority Pass, which is given out with most CC these days, so that's not a unique feature.

Do worry, a few months from now the next "best card ever" will be out and everyone will move on.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
He added the banners for the card to an indirect affiliate site (cc.com)
Those indirect links can't be used for anything other than a banner.

The only direct affiliate links I've seen are from TPG (owned by BankRate, which also owns cc.com).
Surprisingly, MMS doesn't have direct links yet.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Alright, thanks, then I'm not missing anything.

That necessarily means that "hyping" a card with a 100,000 point sign-up bonus (and only a $150 net fee) makes a lot of sense for a lot of people.

But at this point the card still doesn't really work for me, unfortunately. Everyone's different, I guess.

(Also, I have to admit that I was wondering about who out there currently has live Chase links.)
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
The only direct affiliate links I've seen are from TPG (owned by BankRate, which also owns cc.com).
Surprisingly, MMS doesn't have direct links yet.
Dumb question: is it possible that, vis a vis the Tweet from Chase announcing the card with the direct link, that TPG/Bankrate/CC.com will be the "exclusive" affiliate source? Perhaps, giving up some of the commission in exchange for the tweet and other such references? I'm trying to think of the large CC blogs/websites (not limited to the travel sphere, so include NerdWallet et al here) to check if they have direct links or not (doesn't appear NW does but I could be wrong on my interpretation of their link formatting).
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by skunker
See, churner.

This card is getting hyped like the Chase Hyatt card, CSP, and the Citi AA Exec before that, which also had a 100k signup bonus and was churned beyond belief. How many AAdvantage accounts were shutdown because of the shenanigans associated with that card?

The lounge access is Priority Pass, which is given out with most CC these days, so that's not a unique feature.

Do worry, a few months from now the next "best card ever" will be out and everyone will move on.
You are really not up to par with the current status of credit cards offers.
The CSR cannot be churned, at least not in the traditional sense. You have to wait 24 months before getting a new bonus. And to get that bonus you can't have had more than 5 cards in the last 2 years. Not exactly churning material (I wish it was, I wouldn't mind getting one every 6 months!).

I don't see how the Hyatt CC is over-hyped. For $1000 spend you get 2 nights at almost every Hyatt out there. I got two nights at the Park Hyatt NYC that were selling at $1200 each (no, I would not have stayed there if it wasn't for the certificates, but I was going to NYC anyway, and would have spent $200 or so per night at least). Even if I had used at an hotel that cost $100 per night, it would have given me a 20% return. Not too shabby.

What do I care if other cards offer PP as well? I care that my main card (the CSP), now has a "better version" (CSR) that offers better rewards. But, overall, I don't give a damn about lounge access, unless in a long layover, which I try to avoid anyway, so the marginal value of PP access is close to zero for me, I'm keeping the CSR for the extra earnings on travel/dining vs. $55 increase in annual fee; having PP access and better travel insurance (6h until it kicks in instead of 12) is just a bonus. Like me, there are many others; some value PP access some don't.

And yes, I'm a churner as much as I can (not as much lately, unfortunately, almost half of those 20 cards were Citi's non-AF Hilton, which was a card that truly could be churned, 2 cards every 65 days, not one card every 2 years like the CSR). If that was an attempt at an insult, I think you won't find many folks here at FT that will be insulted by being called churners.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:44 am

Also, I don't know how you got the idea the PP access with guest "is given out with most CC these days". Even without guest access, there's a handful of cards that do so. With guest, I can only think of the Citi Prestige.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:18 pm

You are really not up to par with the current status of credit cards offers.
The CSR cannot be churned, at least not in the traditional sense. You have to wait 24 months before getting a new bonus. And to get that bonus you can't have had more than 5 cards in the last 2 years. Not exactly churning material (I wish it was, I wouldn't mind getting one every 6 months!).

I don't see how the Hyatt CC is over-hyped. For $1000 spend you get 2 nights at almost every Hyatt out there. I got two nights at the Park Hyatt NYC that were selling at $1200 each (no, I would not have stayed there if it wasn't for the certificates, but I was going to NYC anyway, and would have spent $200 or so per night at least). Even if I had used at an hotel that cost $100 per night, it would have given me a 20% return. Not too shabby.

What do I care if other cards offer PP as well? I care that my main card (the CSP), now has a "better version" (CSR) that offers better rewards. But, overall, I don't give a damn about lounge access, unless in a long layover, which I try to avoid anyway, so the marginal value of PP access is close to zero for me, I'm keeping the CSR for the extra earnings on travel/dining vs. $55 increase in annual fee; having PP access and better travel insurance (6h until it kicks in instead of 12) is just a bonus. Like me, there are many others; some value PP access some don't.

And yes, I'm a churner as much as I can (not as much lately, unfortunately, almost half of those 20 cards were Citi's non-AF Hilton, which was a card that truly could be churned, 2 cards every 65 days, not one card every 2 years like the CSR). If that was an attempt at an insult, I think you won't find many folks here at FT that will be insulted by being called churners.
I think you are missing the point of my posts. I said the people that are excited about the card are churners, you are a churner and are excited by it.

Go to /r/churning for a megathread about the card and detailed wiki.

All the cards that I mentioned were (and still somewhat are) darlings of the blogger community at some point. Of course the Hyatt CC isn't hyped much now, but when it came out it was pumped constantly, same with the 100k Citi Exec and CSP.

The point is that just because a card becomes the blog darling du jour doesn't necessarily mean its a good card.

And, finally, the AMEX platinum offers these benefits

With your Platinum Card® enjoy complimentary access to over 900 airport lounges across 120 countries, including The Centurion® lounge network‡, the International American Express lounges‡, Delta Sky Clubs®‡, and Airspace Lounges‡. You can also enroll in Priority Pass™ Select*‡, on us.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:29 pm

I said the people that are excited about the card are churners, you are a churner and are excited by it.
What was the part that I can't get the bonus that you didn't get?
Getting a card without a bonus is not churning, no matter how you put it - OK, you get $150 back in the first year of membership (and is potentially churnable every couple of years - upgrade to CSR, downgrade next year, upgrade again in 2018), but that's not exactly a big offer to get very excited.

If you take the time to go to the thread that I mentioned there's plenty of folks like me: can't get the card if 5/24, but will upgrade because of what it offers. Some people just because of the $150 in the first year, a bunch because it makes sense to pay the $55 over the CSP.

The point is that just because a card becomes the blog darling du jour doesn't necessarily mean its a good card.
And just because you don't think it's a good card doesn't make it a bad card.
For a lot of people is a fantastic card (for me it's the best, replacing the CSP which was for me the best until now), with 100k bonus (at least $1500!) it's a terrific card. Overall I think it's quite a stretch to say that is not a good card, but to each his own.

And the Amex Platinum doesn't offer PP with guest access, guests pay $27 (https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...umprioritypass). Even if it did, it would be a third card offering that, far from being ""given out with most CC these days".

Last edited by mikex163; Aug 30, 2016 at 12:41 pm
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See, churner.

There's something I didn't realize - AAdvantage accounts were shut? Not just Citi accounts?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:27 pm

What was the part that I can't get the bonus that you didn't get?
Getting a card without a bonus is not churning, no matter how you put it - OK, you get $150 back in the first year of membership (and is potentially churnable every couple of years - upgrade to CSR, downgrade next year, upgrade again in 2018), but that's not exactly a big offer to get very excited.

If you take the time to go to the thread that I mentioned there's plenty of folks like me: can't get the card if 5/24, but will upgrade because of what it offers. Some people just because of the $150 in the first year, a bunch because it makes sense to pay the $55 over the CSP.
I'm glad you are happy with your decision, but that doesn't take away from what mentioned: the miles and points bloggers love the card. Churners also like the card. Lucky falls into the first category, you fall into the later. He has his reason, you have yours.

And just because you don't think it's a good card doesn't make it a bad card.
For a lot of people is a fantastic card (for me it's the best, replacing the CSP which was for me the best until now), with 100k bonus (at least $1500!) it's a terrific card. Overall I think it's quite a stretch to say that is not a good card, but to each his own.
I never said it wasn't a good card. I'm just pointing out that people should be suspicious of why it is the current darling. I think everyone here knows why.

And the Amex Platinum doesn't offer PP with guest access, guests pay $27 (https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...umprioritypass). Even if it did, it would be a third card offering that, far from being ""given out with most CC these days".
I just said PP is given out with most credit cards, which is a fact. The level of PP is so variable amongst them. You may be right about it being the only one with free guest entry, I don't know. I have had PP for about 10 years through credit cards and have never used it. Not once. So, that feature of CSR is worthless to me.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
There's something I didn't realize - AAdvantage accounts were shut? Not just Citi accounts?
From my understanding, yes.

What I read was people would open multiple accounts, 5 or 6, and then put something on the card to meet the minimum spend ($10k?). They would get the 100k miles, return or refund the purchase, and close the account to avoid the annual fee. In some cases they then sold the miles to brokers.

Head over to the AA forum and read the fraud thread.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From my understanding, yes.

What I read was people would open multiple accounts, 5 or 6, and then put something on the card to meet the minimum spend ($10k?). They would get the 100k miles, return or refund the purchase, and close the account to avoid the annual fee. In some cases they then sold the miles to brokers.

Head over to the AA forum and read the fraud thread.
I honestly can't find a thread that addresses this. Can you post a link?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I honestly can't find a thread that addresses this. Can you post a link?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...arter-etc.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...t-closure.html
"2 or 3 citi accounts over these 2 years. and yes, i bought some refundable aa tickets and refunded them. May be 2 over 2 years. Miles were never deducted. I kept 1 account open and kept using it and new miles kept posting. second account was closed by me."

I posted this a couple years ago in the first thread: http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.ph...9694#msg769694

There was also reports on slickdeals and fatwallet, both of which saw heavy traffic about that card.

**I'm not saying any blogger promoted this activity, just that they promoted the card.**

EDIT: it looks like Lucky did promote applying multiple times: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...rd-100k-bonus/

Last edited by skunker; Aug 30, 2016 at 2:25 pm
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
To be clear, Citi was 100% ok with multiple applications. This was quite deliberate policy (albeit quasi-insane). The dedicated thread here was kind of fascinating: would the aerialists make it to the other side or would they fall to their deaths?

I think Ben only applied twice -- a real piker by comparison.

Citi was clearly not ok with the other stuff discussed above.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:50 am

I just said PP is given out with most credit cards, which is a fact.
That's simply not true.
Out of the dozens and dozens (hundreds most likely) of CCs that are out there in the U.S., there are only a few that offer any level of PP privileges (CSR, Citi Prestige, Amex Plat, Amex Surpass, Amex Centurion; I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that come to mind).
At that level of privileges that CSR offers, I know of only another one (Citi Prestige), but I'm sure that some obscure premium cards out there that also have it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.