Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Only on this blog can Mexico City be presented as some crazy insane place to visit... Tiffany shows her lack of credibility re: travel yet again
Yeah that kind of boggled my mind that anyone found it so strange. The comments to this post are fun to read.

I guess the zany trip to Mexico really has her spreading her wings now:

Other than the advance planning, this trip was unusual in that we did so many things. I generally plan about 2-3 hours per day of sightseeing when I’m traveling, but the timing of this trip worked out such that we could be decently-hardcore tourists.
What will these kooky kids do next?!

Then there is this caption:

This is not food, this is Mezcal (with worms), which my husband wouldn’t let me eat
I laughed to myself because if I tried to tell Mrs. 84fiero that she wasn't allowed to eat (or do) something, I'd be told to go **** myself!
Old Jun 11, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
This is bizarre on at least two levels.

First, Tiffany is no neophyte, by any means, lives part time in Italy, and has been to places like Cairo many times. Her articles are generally well done and they are, in fact, just about the only ones I'll read besides Ben's own posts. And yet she produces this.

And then second, very large portions of Mexico are, in fact, extremely unsafe for Americans. Reading the latest Department of State bulletin, which requires a province-by-province clickfest, is beyond sobering. We're not just talking about rural areas and travel after dark. Even the downtown sections of major cities such as Juarez are no-go zones; all of Acapulco is off limits. (Here in Texas we also get lots of news about this sort of thing.) Mexico City itself, however, is fine.

For anyone who likes to read about truly dangerous travel, one of the best travelogues I've ever read is just up here on Flyer Talk: Daniel's trip to ISIS controlled Iraq. Now that's in a different league altogether.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I went over to take a look.

Seems between this post and Ben's click bait totally inaccurate title about AS going revenue base even some of the fan boys are not pleased.

I don't understand how Tiffany can only spend 2-3 hours a day sightseeing or experiencing a city. She vaguely alluded to it in a comment reply but it still makes no sense.

It's nice to see that many readers/posted over there are rightfully calling Ben and Tiffany out. Two really great examples on how to turn off your readers. Good to see many come to the defense of Mexico City and post how awesome it is. I love Mexico City and the Aztec ruins outside of town are great. Was in MEX years ago for a Day of the Dead celebration. It was wild and a great cultural experience, which is what I look for when traveling.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
For Ben and Tiffany, these are obviously business trips; they work more-or-less full time even on the road. Two or three hours is what's left over for fun & relaxation, or that's what I gather at least.

And do read Daniel's trip report. You'll thank me.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by cruisr
I went over to take a look.

Seems between this post and Ben's click bait totally inaccurate title about AS going revenue base even some of the fan boys are not pleased.

I don't understand how Tiffany can only spend 2-3 hours a day sightseeing or experiencing a city. She vaguely alluded to it in a comment reply but it still makes no sense.

It's nice to see that many readers/posted over there are rightfully calling Ben and Tiffany out. Two really great examples on how to turn off your readers. Good to see many come to the defense of Mexico City and post how awesome it is. I love Mexico City and the Aztec ruins outside of town are great. Was in MEX years ago for a Day of the Dead celebration. It was wild and a great cultural experience, which is what I look for when traveling.
If you love staying at Westins and Hyatts, as Ben does, then "wild" and "a great cultural experience" are probably not what you're looking for.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:22 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Come on. Of course they have very little time for sightseeing. They're busy handling the award booking service and ghostwriting articles for the web site.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
If you love staying at Westins and Hyatts, as Ben does, then "wild" and "a great cultural experience" are probably not what you're looking for.
Right you are.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Come on. Of course they have very little time for sightseeing. They're busy handling the award booking service and ghostwriting articles for the web site.
And don't forget thinking up click bait titles. That takes a lot of effort
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
For Ben and Tiffany, these are obviously business trips; they work more-or-less full time even on the road. Two or three hours is what's left over for fun & relaxation, or that's what I gather at least.
Ben's total obsession with inflight wifi would strongly prove that point.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by FallenPlat

And do read Daniel's trip report. You'll thank me.
Could be. I know Ben does because he discusses it repeatedly. I don't know anything about Tiffany's work life and she didn't really explain whether her reference was to every trip she takes, to pure vacations, or to working vacations. To me it came off as a blanket statement.

I do know folks who laze around the hotel for most of the day, barely spending any actual time doing or seeing things when they travel - and not because they have actual work distracting them. One such couple is my friend's in-laws. When his kids were younger they used to take trips with the in-laws but finally had to stop doing so, largely due to frustration at not being able to really get much out of the vacation.

I wholeheartedly second the recommendation to read Daniel's report! ^
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
oh come on, there is plenty of authentic and cultural experiences to be had at the chain hotel lounge

Besides does anyone actually read this blog for travel/destination advice/information?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cruisr
<snip> Two really great examples on how to turn off your readers.
Sadly, I don't think readers are a problem for the blog. I only recently stumbled across this thread on FT, but it seems to be made up mostly of folks who literally read his blog multiple times per day, come back over here to complain about the blog, and then immediately refresh their browser to see if there is a new post...

Several posters over at OMaaT always complain about the blog, claim they "are quitting it" then whatever story made them mad rolls off the front page and they come back for a fresh hit

The beat goes on...

Regards
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
Sadly, I don't think readers are a problem for the blog. I only recently stumbled across this thread on FT, but it seems to be made up mostly of folks who literally read his blog multiple times per day, come back over here to complain about the blog, and then immediately refresh their browser to see if there is a new post...

Several posters over at OMaaT always complain about the blog, claim they "are quitting it" then whatever story made them mad rolls off the front page and they come back for a fresh hit

The beat goes on...

Regards
It's so unlike the rest of FlyerTalk, where no one ever complains about or critiques an airline/hotel/etc but keeps patronizing that company. Or posts to a thread just to complain about the complaining.

So what are your thoughts on the blog?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Giving your SO a job at your company so they have something to do or so that you can get a tax write off on your vacations together is pretty close to spouse territory no? I think it's a sign of a long term commitment.
Disagree. That's early stage action to keep costs down and easy to change if needed. Especially if the "job" is just a 1099 and not a W-2 arrangement.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Some of you might not understand how big a deal the shooting in Orlando is to members of the LGBT community, but I, someone who has low expectations of Ben, am still shocked to say he has himself made 21 posts since the shooting, as well as 1 post by Ford, and the events in Orlando have not been mentioned at all.

Yet, he has talked about what camera he is buying (sponsored by Sony), and highlighted 4 airlines owned by countries where homosexuality remains punishable by death.

I'm not talking about social justice here; i'm talking about humanity. Most blogs I read - by gay, straight, or I have no idea - have mentioned it somehow. Even the Points Guy had someone post about Jetblue offering free flights to victims' families.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.