One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
I like this comment from Ford's post:

Aaron says:
February 9, 2016 at 1:37 am
Well, most trips of this sort are worth it if you’re traveling first class on someone else’s dime…
That's a good one!

Also a number of comments on the human rights issues.

And other fodder for the "Am I the only one who hasn't been to the Maldives" thread such as

mike says:

February 8, 2016 at 11:43 pm

...Visiting the Maldives is like dating a girl for her looks. You’re all excited at first then you realize there is no substance behind the beauty and get bored...
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:32 pm

Do You Tip Uber Drivers? Here’s Why I Feel Guilty When I Don’t

Maybe I just need to get over myself, but I do sort of feel guilty every time I take UberX in LA, and feel like I should tip. If I have cash, I usually do tip. But at the same time that takes some of the value out of Uber for me, as one of the things which makes it so awesome is that it’s cashless.

I have a hard time believing Ben has paid for an Uber on a regular basis in the states. With all the referral sign ups I'd think almost ever ride is free. Not only that.. if he really is making almost 7 figures from his businesses is he really using Uberx? I'd think it'd be Uber Black or SUV.

Bottom Line

If you all your Uber rides are free from referral sign ups it's not really hurting you to leave a tip.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Do You Tip Uber Drivers? Here’s Why I Feel Guilty When I Don’t

Maybe I just need to get over myself, but I do sort of feel guilty every time I take UberX in LA, and feel like I should tip. If I have cash, I usually do tip. But at the same time that takes some of the value out of Uber for me, as one of the things which makes it so awesome is that it’s cashless.

I have a hard time believing Ben has paid for an Uber on a regular basis in the states. With all the referral sign ups I'd think almost ever ride is free. Not only that.. if he really is making almost 7 figures from his businesses is he really using Uberx? I'd think it'd be Uber Black or SUV.

Bottom Line

If you all your Uber rides are free from referral sign ups it's not really hurting you to leave a tip.
The driver has nothing to do with his rides being free, that's just the Uber system working, so I don't see why the driver would need to be rewarded. Secondly, as he notes in the post, Uber itself says tipping is not standard practice.

And the 7 figures comment is just weird. Who cares what kind of Uber he takes?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:31 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Tipping completely undermines the entire point/attraction of uber.

It's like tipping at a pub in England: to offer a tip is to display your unfamiliarity with proper etiquette.

I wonder if he feels guilty not tipping a flight attendant. Particularly after a Krug and Tug!
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by mpkz
The driver has nothing to do with his rides being free, that's just the Uber system working, so I don't see why the driver would need to be rewarded. Secondly, as he notes in the post, Uber itself says tipping is not standard practice.

And the 7 figures comment is just weird. Who cares what kind of Uber he takes?
The point of my post was to question him on the value of tipping. If he hasn't paid full price for an Uber in a few years a $3 tip is trivial. Or, is he trying to say that the value of Uber is that it is all electronic... in that Lyft allows you to give a tip through the app and you don't have to worry about carrying cash? If you are traveling internationally often it may be difficult/inconvenient to get low denomination bills in a particular country in order to tip an Uber driver.

The 7 figures comment is not weird at all. If you suggest to your viewers/readers that you lead a lifestyle of living full time in 4/5 star hotels and flying first/business multiple times a month and make a decent income it is a bit odd he would take the lowest level Uber... especially since he is getting every ride for $15-20 off due to referral links. How much would an SUV be from LAX to Hollywood $40-60?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My dad makes seven figures and has a net worth far higher than Ben's and he takes Uber X @:-)
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
/02/12/tipping-uber-drivers/"]I have a hard time believing Ben has paid for an Uber on a regular basis in the states.
This. Without a screenshot proving that his credit card was charged, I don't believe he's paid anything for a Uber in years thanks to the signups. Nothing wrong with it, but it's disingenuous to seem like he's spending much of his own money at all.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:15 pm

Big rant today by staffer on not getting paid leave from other job.

"I received your letter yesterday.
About the time the doorknob broke."

Yawn.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
My dad makes seven figures and has a net worth far higher than Ben's and he takes Uber X @:-)
This. Just because you make a lot of money doesn't mean you aren't frugal (or that you spring for the most expensive option - especially with UberX where the delta between X and regular is really only worth it on OPM).

Last edited by Duke787; Feb 16, 2016 at 10:51 pm
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Not this. You're going to die, your kids will p&ss it away, so at least be comfortable whilst you're still around!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Raffles
Not this. You're going to die, your kids will p&ss it away, so at least be comfortable whilst you're still around!
+1 this ...but if I find a great deal for the same comfort class, then bonus ^
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Raffles
Just having kids in the first place will force you to p&ss some of it away during your lifetime!
Old Feb 20, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I don't know why this bugs me, but in his post today about flying with a Real Housewife (and Ford(C)!), he slides in that a reader gave him an expiring SWU. There's something fresh/selfish/not surprising to me about him not giving it away to a reader.

Edited - Autocorrect fail.

Last edited by iadisgreat; Feb 20, 2016 at 2:09 pm
Old Feb 20, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I don't know why this bugs me, but in his post today about flying with a Real Housewife (and Ford(C)!), he slides in that a reader have him an expiring SWU. There's something fresh/selfish/not surprising to me about him not giving it away to a reader.
For what it's worth I agree with you.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I don't know why this bugs me, but in his post today about flying with a Real Housewife (and Ford(C)!), he slides in that a reader gave him an expiring SWU. There's something fresh/selfish/not surprising to me about him not giving it away to a reader.

Edited - Autocorrect fail.
Are you annoyed that he used it and didn't give it away or that he announced on his blog that he was given the SWU maybe in hopes that other readers might want to donate it to him?

I'm sure there are people out there that find Lucky's information helpful and want to thank him in some manner other than using his referral links.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.