One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
My contribution to the mile value post just now. He is out of his depth on some of this.

"What A.S. said is exactly right. I am in the same situation as he is. Wife and 2 kids. Have been travelling for work going on 20 years and using miles for as long as that.

Used to be very easy to fund 2 trips a year in J cabin for me and the family with miles. The earnings rates were good and redemption levels reasonable and the availability was always there, at least with AA/CX etc.

But at some point, the availability went to heck and now the airlines are giving us haircuts on earning while simultaneously upping redemption rates. Couple that with generally poor predictability of availability and a competitive global market place for fares at all levels, and miles are indeed worth less.

And of course...while $1500 in J to Europe is a great fare, It is really $6000 for a family of four (and we can't write that off come tax time either I may add). Coach may be closer to $3000. That $3000 I would personally rather spend on a nicer hotel at the destination where I'll spend 10 days with the family. And what if I want to take 2-3 vacations a year? $20k in airfare to Europe only? For Asia those fares don't exist with the same frequency and if they do, one has to position to Colombo etc. Has Lucky ever traveled with young children? Has he had to worry about their health and safety or if nothing else how quickly they become bored? As a parent, I will fly Y on the most direct routing with the least stops over a convoluted itinerary in J or F. I've done both with my kids and I understand the trade-off. Lucky doesn't (no disrespect meant...it is simply what it is).

This post certainly shows that Lucky isn't married, has no kids, and doesn't understand in the slightest what travel is like for families. I suggest we all view his posts through the lens he writes them....as a single male self-employed person without kids, little to zero schedule to follow and plenty of money to spend.

For 99.9% of us in the real world, the real world is very different. Accordingly, some of his attempts to debunk "excuses" families have come across as condescending and douchy. My 2 cents."
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you look at the N. American market you have 3-4 broad segments:
- frugal students with time on their hands and interested to explore the world
- working DINKs (this includes GLBT couples) who can pick any time of year to vacation and have disposable income
- families of 4 who look to vacation/see Grandparents when school is off, and
- retirees

OMAAT &VFTW has the second and last segment covered, Drew aims for the first, MMS for the second and third, Mommy Points aimed at the third etc.

All these bloggers usually stay true to the target market segment. OMAAT suddenly writing stuff about staying at hostels or about flying southwest to Orlando and staying at a Disney resort dilutes the brand. @:-)
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
If you look at the N. American market you have 3-4 broad segments:
- frugal students with time on their hands and interested to explore the world
- working DINKs (this includes GLBT couples) who can pick any time of year to vacation and have disposable income
- families of 4 who look to vacation/see Grandparents when school is off, and
- retirees
What about working SINKs, even more so the working SINKs who get a lot of time to work remotely or work with rather flexible schedules? At one point at least, SINKs seemed to constitute a large proportion of FTers.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
What about working SINKs, even more so the working SINKs who get a lot of time to work remotely or work with rather flexible schedules? At one point at least, SINKs seemed to constitute a large proportion of FTers.
I think this had more to do how the forums and Internet in general developed with younger people being early adapters. . Most SINKs that started on FT are probably now former SINKs and the general population is now on FT or reading travel forums.

People can be in all categories eventually, e.g. you start as a SINK, go to DINK, get kids, divorce or split, rinse wash and repeat and eventually retire.

One post on OMAT was from Mike about 'Should Kids Miss School To Travel?'. Decisions like this come up when your life circumstances change and make the whole flying with miles or premium cabin more complex.

I for one actually won't mind to read on OMAT how he now handles finding 2 award seats or how he can pull in enough miles for now 2 persons travelling a lot.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:40 pm
Suspended

What the hell is a SINK and DINK?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:52 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by TMM1982
What the hell is a SINK and DINK?
Single Income No Kids
Double Income No Kids
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Single Income No Kids
Double Income No Kids
Thx
Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:41 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DINK_%28acronym%29

Liked this one:
A close antonym, mainly intended as a joke, is SITCOM, which stands for "Single Income, Two Children, Oppressive Mortgage.[4]
Thats definitely not the target audience of CC churning MSing blogs
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EP
I think this may have been mentioned or asked before....

Is anyone else sick of all of questions as the click bait strategy? I see them all in my Twitter feed and, to me, it usually means he has nothing to say since he has to put it in the form of a question.

Maybe he is hoping to get on jeopardy and is just practicing. "Alex, I'll take fun with flight attendants for $200"
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier

Is anyone else sick of all of questions as the click bait strategy? I see them all in my Twitter feed and, to me, it usually means he has nothing to say since he has to put it in the form of a question.

Maybe he is hoping to get on jeopardy and is just practicing. "Alex, I'll take fun with flight attendants for $200"
Every post ends with one. Engage your audience!
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:36 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier

What do you think? Do you agree that ham-handed efforts at reader engagement are annoying? Let me know what you think in the comments section of this forum!
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
It's all about engagement, questions like that typically drive comments.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL
Well, Ford wrote another post.
One word - snorefest.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
At the other end of the spectrum, the recent post by Andrew was completely first rate -- for me, anyway.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:50 am

I like this comment from Ford's post:

Aaron says:
February 9, 2016 at 1:37 am
Well, most trips of this sort are worth it if you’re traveling first class on someone else’s dime…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.