Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Could you elaborate for those of us who did not follow back in the day/are too lazy to do the research? I know I was a very, very frequent flyer back then and never came close to finding a perpetual motion machine!

Unless you are talking about fraudulently using the same UA voucher over and over again...
There were a few games played where miles/points could be used to earn more miles/points than were spent without that notorious, fraudulent UA voucher re-use method.

One game that worked for some involved bump vouchers and freely changeable award tickets, either in coach or first. Toss in checked luggage onto some very convoluted itineraries with short transfer times, and there was additional compensation possibilities in the picture when the luggage was mishandled by the airline.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 30, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wasnt it originally said that he was re using upgrades not vouchers?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Indeed. And addressed it thoroughly, with my thanks. The key, it seems, was to have a medium-sized bankroll along with unlimited time and chutzpah. ^ That and be willing to fly transcon in coach a lot.

But for God's sake, don't use the H word. You're better than that. We all are. @:-)
As a 1K, there would have been little or no flying in coach, excepting Ted! routes to/from TPA.

1 e500 could upgrade 2 transcon segments assuming no technical stopover (4 hours domestic) and different start and end points. As an example, SFO-IAD-LAX would require 10 e500s to reserve the upgrade, but only 1 was ultimately pulled as the system based the calc on SFO-LAX. At that point, who cares if it cost 1 more for LAX-SFO to get you home.

And unused e500s ultimately turned into more RDMs...
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by work2fly
1 e500 could upgrade 2 transcon segments
require 10 e500s to reserve the upgrade, but only 1 was ultimately pulled
unused e500s ultimately turned into more RDMs
interesting
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by oliver2002
A fellow FTers says the RS article is BS, but not so much for the misleading readers to sign up for CCs, but for not buying his book: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nichol...b_7882288.html
Wow, that's pretty blatant. Should have taken an ad in RS.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

huffpo was perfect though
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cruisr
that's NOT what got UA angry enough to kick him out. he used the same certificate over and over and over again due to a glitch in their system. It is not fraud to be bumped and get vouchers it is fraud to use a certificate over and over again. Let's say the value was $200.00 and he used that same certificate 20 times. you are supposed to get a value of 200. NOT 4000. That is fraud
It COULD be what got UA mad IF he was booking fully refundable tickets with an eye toward getting bumped (and taking a full refund rather than a later flight) but cancelling the tickets at the last minute if he DIDN'T get bumped.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iamthehpt
It COULD be what got UA mad IF he was booking fully refundable tickets with an eye toward getting bumped (and taking a full refund rather than a later flight) but cancelling the tickets at the last minute if he DIDN'T get bumped.
Can you cancel a fully refundable ticket after check-in? How about a mileage ticket (with no penalties for elites) after check-in?

I assume you can't get on the volunteer list until you've checked-in, but I could be wrong.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by josephstern
Can you cancel a fully refundable ticket after check-in? How about a mileage ticket (with no penalties for elites) after check-in?

I assume you can't get on the volunteer list until you've checked-in, but I could be wrong.
Yes, you can XL a fully refundable tkt after check in. I had to do it when a meeting I was to attend got Xld at the last minute and I got a text while I was in the UA club.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by josephstern
You can cancel checkin and refund both types.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:26 am

Oh, I don't think the reporter made it up any more than I think the reporter made up the Jackie's rape allegation. JACKIE made up Jackie's rape allegation. RS simply printed it without doing adequate fact checking. @:-)
therefore RS enabled this behavior and therefore equally apart of the problem.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:28 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by phbl
therefore RS enabled this behavior and therefore equally apart of the problem.
Yes, their repeated sin is printing assertions/allegations without performing adequate fact-checking.

Which is ironic since the entire plot of the movie Almost Famous turns on the rigorous fact checking that Rolling Stone editors did on a submitted story.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, their repeated sin is printing assertions/allegations without performing adequate fact-checking.

Which is ironic since the entire plot of the movie Almost Famous turns on the rigorous fact checking that Rolling Stone editors did on a submitted story.
So are you saying that the writers of Almost Famous didn't check their facts?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:56 am

Many people have been surprised at the amount of commission that bloggers get from affiliate links. Here's an old thread that shows those amounts.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...nversions.html

Granted, the thread is 2 years old, so I'm sure there have been some changes, but it does show that while $100 per approved app is the most common, $200-300 isn't uncommon either. Its also interesting that the cards with the highest commissions are the same ones that are pushed by the most bloggers. I wish it showed Chase and Citi, but I imagine they would be in the same range.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Many people have been surprised at the amount of commission that bloggers get from affiliate links. Here's an old thread that shows those amounts.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...nversions.html

Granted, the thread is 2 years old, so I'm sure there have been some changes, but it does show that while $100 per approved app is the most common, $200-300 isn't uncommon either. Its also interesting that the cards with the highest commissions are the same ones that are pushed by the most bloggers. I wish it showed Chase and Citi, but I imagine they would be in the same range.

What I was more surprised to learn is the cookie aspect, and how it lingers. Many would never apply thru a bloggers link after clickthru (I wouldn't on principle), but if they apply later, its as if they used the bloggers link.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.