Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:38 am

I agree with EC... astro and other folks are wayyy off on this on.

from the subtle hints Ben drops (unintentionally?) in his posts, its abundantly clear he makes a lot more money from his award booking service than the actual blog (ad traffic and perhaps even affiliate income combined.) but ofc they all work nicely in unison as a funnel to each other. I'd almost wager the blog itself makes more money for BA than Ben. atleast ad rev, but assuming also that BA takes a cut of affiliate commissions.

multiple sources of income is a great thing to have for any webpreneur. forget Ben, Randy is the one who really knows something about that rodeo.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:49 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Get real...it probably all helps but the money is in the credit card referrals....
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Ben posted a very detailed breakdown of how his miles/points were earned in 2014...

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ed-miles-2014/

Regarding the award booking service he describes that as earning $100-$150K per year which he translates into ~400K MR/UR points.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:59 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Quote "I'd almost wager the blog itself makes more money for BA than Ben. atleast ad rev, but assuming also that BA takes a cut of affiliate commissions."

AFAIK, BA is only paid on the CPM ads and the blogger keeps all earnings from affiliate marketing links in the blog posts.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:31 am

can you explain this? If I pay him in dollars, how does that equate to UR or MR points? Don't the bookers just take cash as payment?

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Ben posted a very detailed breakdown of how his miles/points were earned in 2014...

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ed-miles-2014/

Regarding the award booking service he describes that as earning $100-$150K per year which he translates into ~400K MR/UR points.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by farbster
can you explain this? If I pay him in dollars, how does that equate to UR or MR points? Don't the bookers just take cash as payment?
He pays the taxes/fees component of the award on his card (and earns the double bonus points), and then they reimburse him for a total amount including those taxes/fees as well as his service charges. Perfectly legal.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:47 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
New market share - diversification

Although i welcome new insights and critiques, it made me smile and wonder about today's new Post.

We are now being presented with another guest writer.
Nick: specializing in not-so-frequent travel and skyteam
We were already introduced to
- Tiffany: more critical then Ben and a woman's perspective
- Travis: travel with young family
- the parents: first time experiencers of premium travel

It seems to me that Ben is very smart: EK/QF/EY/QR/BA/AA/ CX ~ oneworld is getting stale, LX/LH F is unattainable and all covered untill death. So the premiumtravelgurugod decided to broaden the blog to new reader markets by adding guestwriters and adjusting content that will suit.

What's next:
For the destructive (guest writer V)
- destroying the hotel's TV and furniture, can i pay the damages with my ink chase ultra sexy preffered creditcard and get triple points
For the slobs (guest writer W)
- Which IHG/Starwood/Hyatt/Marriot etc. can clean up this mess |before-after pic included
For the impaired (guest writer X)
- How to travel with guidedogs to get priority boarding,
For the recently widow(ed) (guest writer Y)
- travelling with the urn to score an upgrade - it's an extra person/not lap infant
For the diverse community (guest writer Z)
- dressing in drag and being wisked away from the general crowd and getting the private priority security lane

* disclaimer: i'm very mild mannered but my humour is ironic, sarcastic, cruel, absurd and farcical so due to FT rules i have to keep it down and i apologize if any are offended or inspired

Last edited by HadesNL; Apr 6, 2015 at 6:50 pm
Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:00 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by HadesNL
Although i welcome new insights and critiques, it made me smile and wonder about today's new Post.

We are now being presented with another guest writer.
Nick: specializing in not-so-frequent travel and skyteam
We were already introduced to
- Tiffany: more critical then Ben and a woman's perspective
- Travis: travel with young family
- the parents: first time experiencers of premium travel

It seems to me that Ben is very smart: EK/QF/EY/QR/BA/AA/ CX ~ oneworld is getting stale, LX/LH F is unattainable and all covered untill death. So the premiumtravelgurugod decided to broaden the blog to new reader markets by adding guestwriters and adjusting content that will suit.

What's next:
For the destructive (guest writer V)
- destroying the hotel's TV and furniture, can i pay the damages with my ink chase ultra sexy preffered creditcard and get triple points
For the slobs (guest writer W)
- Which IHG/Starwood/Hyatt/Marriot etc. can clean up this mess |before-after pic included
For the impaired (guest writer X)
- How to travel with guidedogs to get priority boarding,
For the recently widow(ed) (guest writer Y)
- travelling with the urn to score an upgrade - it's an extra person/not lap infant
For the diverse community (guest writer Z)
- dressing in drag and being wisked away from the general crowd and getting the private priority security lane

* disclaimer: i'm very mild mannered but my humour is ironic, sarcastic, cruel, absurd and farcical so due to FT rules i have to keep it down and i apologize if any are offended or inspired
A whole BoardingArea within BoardingArea...?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Ok, the urn joke is actually pretty funny. Somehow.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I am guessing this is taking a leaf from TPG. The problem with writing about LH F multiple times is that it doesn't get you new Google people. Articles totally unrelated to the usual areas will be far more successful in driving new readers - albeit not necessarily long term ones.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:29 pm

I can't see it but the comments hint at ribaldry in this Maldives post

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...itial-thoughts
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:47 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by davie355

A blogger? At the Park Hyatt Maldives!?

Why, that's not a cliche AT ALL!
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by davie355

Looks like they are referring to his "company" in the Maldives

Instagram
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by kokonutz
A blogger? At the Park Hyatt Maldives!?

Why, that's not a cliche AT ALL!
It's soooo 2013 though. Heck I went in 2012 and used AA miles on EY to get there! That makes me a miles and points hipster right? In before it was cool.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I hope this doesn't violate TOS: I know several 40+ year old gay men who follow 'Lucky's blog' religiously. It's been said that travel is aspirational and I think many of these men aspire to 'go on a trip' with Lucky, in the meantime his blog updates and ambiguous nature of his travel companions keeps them reading.

(I think Lucky may know this, so I applaud him for not being creeped out by who reads his blog)
You're spot on. Scroll down to the latest comments here. http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...omment-2641206

*shudder*

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.