Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:26 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
And yet, people are vehemently opposed to his blog for some reason. Do you know which blog I hate? Pioneer Woman. That lady has made millions off of sprucing up Betty Crocker mixes and taking photos of the steps. But do I find forums about her and write about how horrible of a life she has, just spending all that time in the kitchen and not really creating anything worthy of five-star restaurants? No. Why not? Because I really don't care all that much. I don't read her blogs or watch her shows. But in the end, I just don't care enough about her or her blog... But yet, how does OMaaT draw so many frequent fliers to hate him? To have that kind of animosity - there's more to just not liking his blog.
You mean...something like this: http://www.thepioneerwomansux.com/ @:-)

Or this: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/to...oman-rich-now/

Points and miles and premium cabin and chain hotel bloggers provide a service to frequent flyers. FlyerTalk predates them all as a place to talk about service providers in the frequent flyer space; the good, the bad and the ugly.

<shrug>
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
I think that J cabins across many global airlines have caught up with more of the mainline carriers in the past few years and are of a critical mass to go and review, versus a bunch of "I can't believe JL still uses recliners on their 767s!" type of reviews that would've resulted only a couple of years ago. Lots of innovation in the J space.

And, for the record, J on the JL 767 does indeed suck.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
And yet, people are vehemently opposed to his blog for some reason. Do you know which blog I hate? Pioneer Woman. That lady has made millions off of sprucing up Betty Crocker mixes and taking photos of the steps. But do I find forums about her and write about how horrible of a life she has, just spending all that time in the kitchen and not really creating anything worthy of five-star restaurants? No. Why not? Because I really don't care all that much. I don't read her blogs or watch her shows. But in the end, I just don't care enough about her or her blog... But yet, how does OMaaT draw so many frequent fliers to hate him? To have that kind of animosity - there's more to just not liking his blog.
You mean...something like this: http://www.thepioneerwomansux.com/ @:-)

Or this: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/to...oman-rich-now/

Points and miles and premium cabin and chain hotel bloggers provide a service to frequent flyers. FlyerTalk predates them all as a place to talk about service providers in the frequent flyer space; the good, the bad and the ugly.

<shrug>
You can pretty much find a forum criticizing any public figure on the internet. It's a big Internet.
I'd also add that this particular blogger draws exceptional criticism because of his efforts to draw attention to himself beyond the blog itself, and because of the degree he has created a persona that rubs some of us the wrong way.

It's perfectly valid to say "just ignore him and his blog." That's what I do with TPG at this point. But to suggest that criticism of OMAAT is somehow unique reflects a failure to grasp how current culture and society operate.

You also neglect to recognize that criticism can have good outcomes. Although I think his response was hogwash, you'll note that Ben addressed his status as ambassador of the gays to the Maldives right after several days' discussion of his romantic trip to that nation of gay bashing on this very thread. I critique Ben because I want him to get "better" (understanding other people may disagree), and also because I personally find his lifestyle depressing. Since I don't want to be attacked/misquoted again, I will make very clear I am not saying this to have another debate about the substance of criticism, but to address what appears to be the new topic: speculating as to ulterior motives of people who dare criticize a prolific blogger based on the content of his blog.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Since I don't want to be attacked/misquoted again, I will make very clear I am not saying this to have another debate about the substance of criticism, but to address what appears to be the new topic: speculating as to ulterior motives of people who dare criticize a prolific blogger based on the content of his blog.
Fair enough. ^
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:47 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Can't wait for Marriott to take over SPG so we can have less posts pumping the Amex credit cards again and again

In the meantime, enjoy the 169th edition of the amazing Citi Prestige 4th night benefit

Sheesh!
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Can't wait for Marriott to take over SPG so we can have less posts pumping the Amex credit cards again and again

In the meantime, enjoy the 169th edition of the amazing Citi Prestige 4th night benefit

Sheesh!
But there will be a tsunami of posts leading up to the deadline to apply for the SPG Amex before it goes away!

"213 days left to get the SPG Amex!!!"
"212 days left to get the SPG Amex!!!"

Actually I hate to see SPG go away so this is depressing to think about!

ETA: Well, for something different, here is an Economy cabin (Jetstar) review from Lucky:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...etstar-review/

Last edited by 84fiero; Jan 12, 2016 at 10:10 am
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Hate to repeat myself. 4 further OT posts deleted.

Regards Oliver2002
Mode EM&PR forum
C'mon Oliver. We only read this thread for the .....iness. Now where's my popcorn?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
I think that J cabins across many global airlines have caught up with more of the mainline carriers in the past few years and are of a critical mass to go and review, versus a bunch of "I can't believe JL still uses recliners on their 767s!" type of reviews that would've resulted only a couple of years ago. Lots of innovation in the J space.

And, for the record, J on the JL 767 does indeed suck.
Not only that, but with all of the devaluations it makes a lot less sense to book F awards these days. People will only be able to afford J.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:04 pm

I don't begrudge Ben for pushing credit cards. How else can he sustain his 24x365 travel lifestyle? He needs to pay for tickets and hotels on occasion. I find his point of view and full-time travel life intriguing. I wouldn't have the energy to do it. It's way beyond travelling for work. I've downsized my life but can't imagine having no home and so few possessions.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:58 am

I'm interested to follow this trip report. With such a title I figured it wouldn't be one of Ben's trips, and indeed this one is by Tiffany.

Introduction: Off the Beaten Path In Thailand

This trip report will be a bit different than the usual fodder for OMAAT, in part because this was a very different trip. It involved trail mix, bug spray, and a 10-passenger van, so just a little outside of the usual here
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I'm interested to follow this trip report. With such a title I figured it wouldn't be one of Ben's trips, and indeed this one is by Tiffany.

Introduction: Off the Beaten Path In Thailand
I enjoy reading Tiffany's articles from time to time, but I read the title "Off the Beaten Path"... and then I see the upcoming hotel reports: Sheraton, Hyatt, Marriott, and then a Sheraton in the Maldives... I have to scratch my head a bit.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:40 am
Suspended

Agree. Sheraton Maldives? Really? That place is a joke.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I enjoy reading Tiffany's articles from time to time, but I read the title "Off the Beaten Path"... and then I see the upcoming hotel reports: Sheraton, Hyatt, Marriott, and then a Sheraton in the Maldives... I have to scratch my head a bit.
Yeah I'm hoping the remainder will delve more into some activities, local transport, etc. to be different enough from the OMAAT mold.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
If I were Drudge, I'd have a flashing siren for this little tidbit today: Ben noted in the comments that he spent over $200K on revenue flights in 2015.

Some of the more sophisticated posters here had already figured this out, but for those who hadn't, there it is -- in black & white.

The blog has focused on maximizing both miles/points and dollars for some time now.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
If I were Drudge, I'd have a flashing siren for this little tidbit today: Ben noted in the comments that he spent over $200K on revenue flights in 2015.

Some of the more sophisticated posters here had already figured this out, but for those who hadn't, there it is -- in black & white.

The blog has focused on maximizing both miles/points and dollars for some time now.
I read that to mean 200k EQM worth of revenue flights which could be a far cry from $200k....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.