One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Of course, with SPG corporate now involved I'm sure there will be some nice 'compensation' and bennies coming his way. So...
After the increased traffic and compensation from corporate I can only assume that writing about the theft will provide for a larger return than the value of the items stolen. That being said, even with the gaps in the story, I'm sure no compensation will take away the feeling of being robbed. Though, you'd think that writing about the experience would be enough punishment for the hotel. Now he will get compensated by the corporate office which will then pass down the cost of compensation to the W Barcelona. On top of that the hotel is given a fine for each time someone contacts the corporate office about a negative experience. I believe the fine starts at ~$75. The hotel can appeal this fine. I'm not sure if larger problems equal a larger fine. I just know that when the corporate office is contacted about a problem they stick it to the hotel.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RTW1
Hint: he might travel a lot, but he doesn't see much.....he probably went for piza or burgers in BCN.
As I like to say: Ben isn't a travel blogger, he's a transportation blogger. I don't think he knows the first thing about what it means to actually see a place..
KLBGO likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:56 pm

Hint: he might travel a lot, but he doesn't see much.....
And that is what saddens me the most about people like OMAAT. They have all the opportunity in the world to travel the world, and they do stuff like this.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by pricesquire
As I like to say: Ben isn't a travel blogger, he's a transportation blogger. I don't think he knows the first thing about what it means to actually see a place..
Agreed. He's defensively claimed otherwise, but this episode shows such a lack of any common sense that I tend to believe he rarely ventures beyond premium cabins, airport lounges, and American chain hotels and their restaurants. His frankly bizarre post about his fears a day or so ago only confirmed this for me.

I'm sure there's an audience for this, as demonstrated by the many supportive comments to his posts. Nevertheless, his (and their) travel goals are not mine. There are many small towns in Ireland, Scotland, and Italy without premium cabin service and American chain hotels that I would never have discovered with a tether to those kinds of programs. May he continue to do well, but I don't think it's a promising, long-term business model.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
What I haven’t heard him talk about are the mental and physical effects of hopping from bed to bed and city to city every night. These will still hit you even if you never leave a 5 star bed or cabin.

While he is an experienced traveler, if he’s only running at 50% capacity due to travel fatigue he’s putting himself at risk for all sorts of problems: illnesses, botched bookings, scams, and/or mistakes with his business.

Why not just slow down? There are no awards given for most airports seen in a year. A longer time horizon and a more leisurely pace will ensure he can keep doing this and not completely burn out.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:47 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
Now Lucky is saying that we should all let United cancel the tickets from the DKK affair yesterday.

Does anyone actually think that if he wasn't banned from United, he wouldn't have bought 50 of these for himself?

'I didn’t bother posting about it at the time because I figured it was a given that this fare wouldn’t be honored (and I was also away from my computer when it was first announced).'

I don't think any of his readers know the real reason why he has never every reviewed a United product. He did post a story about his Mom's experiences right during the time the fare was live.
THiS .... cant believe the guy who was abusing e-certs would talk about not taking advantage of a mistake fare... very contradictory to what he has been doing all along, ever since his days on FT.

I used to be a fan of his blog, I still read it from time to time. but like someone mentioned upthread, Ben actively deletes user comments relating to or talking about him and UA, and who knows what else. happened to me, deleted or moderated my comments relating to UA. so much for "I never censor anything" ... the hypocrisy is the only thing that kills here.

but oh well, it is his blog, he's gonna do what he wants to do.

Originally Posted by pillow25
Also, why were they in Barcelona for only one night? It's too big and cool of a city to spend one night in...
that's how he rolls... jumping from city to city. doesnt make much sense. but I guess thats the life of a new-age, travel blogger nomad.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Hint: he might travel a lot, but he doesn't see much.....he probably went for piza or burgers in BCN.
Originally Posted by pillow25
And that is what saddens me the most about people like OMAAT. They have all the opportunity in the world to travel the world, and they do stuff like this.
I'm surprised it took a day before it became discussion about the blogger rather than the blog content. You people are slacking. I figured the instant those blog posts showed up it was a countdown to "Lucky's so lame" time. I'm tempted to do a BINGO card with things like "entitled", "post on pajamas" and "doesn't actually do anything except eat in the hotel lounge" squares when it comes to a few of the folks who are the favorite piñatas here.

Thanks for not proving me wrong about the Gossip About Gary and Lucky Forum, even if it took a bit.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 12, 2015 at 10:32 pm
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:38 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I'm surprised it took a day before it became discussion about the blogger rather than the blog content. You people are slacking. I figured the instant those blog posts showed up it would be "Lucky's so lame" time. I'm tempted to do a BINGO card with things like "entitled" and "doesn't actually do anything except eat in the hotel lounge" squares.

Thanks for not proving me wrong about the Gossip About Gary and Lucky Forum, even if it took a bit.
I don't disagree with the tack you've taken, but in the end, a blog is all about the person writing it. It's difficult to separate the person from the content. Look at the quick blow Gary took today about the promotional video Marriott's doing. Was this a particularly important item? No. Did Gary, personally, make a decision to take a shot at Marriott (rather than wasting your creative talents on a film, why don't you improve your elite program?)? Yes.

Because of the particularly personal nature of a blog's content, bloggers, of any sort, can open themselves up to these kinds of comments. And frankly, I think it's better for the blogs themselves to segregate some of the personal comments here rather than clogging up their comment feeds with more "hey, surprised you didn't plug a credit card" comments--several of which were in Lucky's latest post today.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I'm surprised it took a day before it became discussion about the blogger rather than the blog content. You people are slacking.
It's difficult not to since it's a personal blog, so the content is the blogger.... or at least the part of him he is sharing publicly. I can only hope that he does see something at some of his destinations but doesn't share it.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 4:38 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by FTR 787
THiS .... cant believe the guy who was abusing e-certs would talk about not taking advantage of a mistake fare... very contradictory to what he has been doing all along, ever since his days on FT.

I used to be a fan of his blog, I still read it from time to time. but like someone mentioned upthread, Ben actively deletes user comments relating to or talking about him and UA, and who knows what else. happened to me, deleted or moderated my comments relating to UA. so much for "I never censor anything" ... the hypocrisy is the only thing that kills here.

but oh well, it is his blog, he's gonna do what he wants to do.

that's how he rolls... jumping from city to city. doesnt make much sense. but I guess thats the life of a new-age, travel blogger nomad.
I thought the same about the e-certs deal. Quite hypocritical.

It's difficult not to since it's a personal blog, so the content is the blogger.... or at least the part of him he is sharing publicly. I can only hope that he does see something at some of his destinations but doesn't share it.
Agreed - these recent OMAAT blog posts are what Lucky himself is sharing and discussing about his personal experiences, thoughts, etc. It seems fair game to discuss those blog posts and the issues they raise - after all, the blogger is the one sharing the information publicly. You want to see overly personal comments and attacks - then just check out the comments on Ben's blog!
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:59 am
Suspended

- Re: attacking the blogger, not the blog. Ben has made it VERY clear that the blog and himself are one and the same. OMAAT has turned into a sound-board for the self (self being Ben), nothing more. "I think this" or "I think that" or "My mom this" or "My dad that"...sorry, but the "don't attack the blogger" thing doesn't hold water for OMAAT. Other non-BA blogs, maybe...

- Re: the hypocrisy behind the United mistake ticketing ("cant believe the guy who was abusing e-certs would talk about not taking advantage of a mistake fare... very contradictory to what he has been doing all along") -- isn't it obvious he wasn't PRO-United mistake fare because he was literally the last blogger in the universe to bring it up? OR, because he was so ego-centric in thinking all about the W and his mom and the purse fiasco, he didn't want to take the limelight away from himself?

- Agree with most all of the above comments about Ben's lack of travel prowess
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz

Whew. So it appears that law enforcement was eventually contacted.

So really the point of the posts it just about what lucky thinks a hotel staff should/should not do in such a situation, rather than what a TRAVELER should do/not do in that situation.

And, from that perspective I'd say the hotel staff behaved mostly appropriately. Lucky seems to have wanted them to mount a CSI-style investigation. But, again, that's not what hotels do. And to the extent that they work with the police on this case they are certainly not going to share that fact or any information gleaned from that work with him.

Perhaps they could have been more sympathetic to him? Seems like it. But most of the latest post is criticizing their security response rather than their customer service response.

The sad fact is that $h!# happens. Travel, even in the bubble of First Class and at Chain Hotels is not without travail.

Lashing out at the hotel is not going to change that. Hotels are not the police. Learning from the incident and altering behavior will.
Disagree entirely! That the hotel wasn't proactive and failed to do basic investigation on a theft indicates guest safety was being willfully ignored. Everything in a hotel relies on the safety of the guest and that is priority #1. No point in having clean rooms/nice views/lounges if you can't guarantee guest safety. If you don't have that (or don't care), you don't deserve to be in business (or be allowed to operate).

That the hotel didn't immediately contact the police (or offer to arrange for Lucky and his Mom to talk to them) is a red flag. The hotel is trying to cover their azz, and not the guest's. If I had to guess, it's an ongoing problem at that property and it happens regularly - so regularly they just shrug it off as "just another scam".

The problem I have is the story. Looks like Mom was looking for a bit of nooky and the first random Spaniard that comes along got her to let him in her room. What the H?? That she is so rattled that she then refuses to open the door/answer the phone when Lucky comes back indicates to me that there was a wee bit more to the story than just a lost purse...
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:32 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by farwest101
Everything in a hotel relies on the safety of the guest and that is priority #1.
Yeah, that starts with not letting a stranger in your room.... after that it's he said / she said.... and there's not even any hard evidence that something was actually taken from the room.

We also have only one side of the story. The hotel might direct you to the police, they are not going to bring you to their doorstep. And they aren't going to roll out with sirens either. You simply go there to make a statement, no investigation is going to start for a missing purse that could have been taken from anywhere. They file a report, and when they have a lot at the same property they might do something... or not. Petty theft is a major problem in BCN, and I would bet events where people get permission to enter a room and something is reported missing hours later are not high on the list of things to investigate. That's saved for people robbed at gun or knife-point and people with bodily harm.

So the best the hotel could probably do is fake some sincere attention. It's not CSI Barcelona we are talking about here. It's a few drinks charged to the room and a missing purse. All in the middle of a very strange pickup story....
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:51 am

Yeah, that starts with not letting a stranger in your room.... after that it's he said / she said.... and there's not even any hard evidence that something was actually taken from the room.

We also have only one side of the story. The hotel might direct you to the police, they are not going to bring you to their doorstep. And they aren't going to roll out with sirens either. You simply go there to make a statement, no investigation is going to start for a missing purse that could have been taken from anywhere. They file a report, and when they have a lot at the same property they might do something... or not. Petty theft is a major problem in BCN, and I would bet events where people get permission to enter a room and something is reported missing hours later are not high on the list of things to investigate. That's saved for people robbed at gun or knife-point and people with bodily harm.

So the best the hotel could probably do is fake some sincere attention. It's not CSI Barcelona we are talking about here. It's a few drinks charged to the room and a missing purse. All in the middle of a very strange pickup story....
The guest should be believed unless and until such time the guest's story can be disproved. And IF it can't be disproved, then the hotel should assume it's correct and act accordingly. To just shrug it off is totally unacceptable.

If I was the manager and any of my staff had such a cavalier attitude towards guest safety, they would be looking for other employment forthwith.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It's not for a hotel to decide who you let into your room, they rent you the space. Guarding your property from your "friends" is your own responsability... What guest safety? It's not like the room was broken into or force was used to gain access.

I agree that the hotel might have been a bit more sympathetic, but it will never amount to much. No harm but a missing purse stolen by a "friend".

Last edited by RTW1; Feb 13, 2015 at 11:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.