Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Interesting, especially from the same blog that not long ago had this to say:
Yeah, because he's always held that view.

Or maybe not. A blast from the past (2012) that came up on the first page of Google results for a search for renting from Dan Dooley Rent-A-Car at the Dublin Airport: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...om-dan-dooley/.

BTW, although I haven't yet rented from Dooley in Ireland (I probably will for an upcoming trip in late April--the reason for my Google search), nearly everyone who isn't Ben or a commenter has said they're as good or better than anyone in Ireland. Ireland is just a tough renter's market. But his charitable observations (one rental counter worker had the personality of a rock, the other was wearing "a Catholic schoolgirl Halloween costume" although he was renting the car in late June/early July) combined with many of the comments, including the one from the Ben fanboy who screams it'll be good for Dooley "to learn the power of bloggers," demonstrate there's been little growth since 2012.

By the way, only those staying in the Four Seasons would be stunned at the prevalence of a certain four-letter word in Ireland that was also used frequently in Pulp Fiction.

Last edited by lwildernorva; Mar 2, 2015 at 9:20 pm
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I think rather than maturing the blog now sounds like it is being written from the perspective of an immature teenager. I imagine him and his fanboys in the corner of the cafeteria making fun of everyone because, you know, they are so cool. I guess the gist of the fanboy's comment is that our leader, Lucky, is all powerful. Suppliers beware.

QUOTE=lwildernorva;24444115]Yeah, because he's always held that view.

Or maybe not. A blast from the past (2012) that came up on the first page of Google results for a search for renting from Dan Dooley Rent-A-Car at the Dublin Airport: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...om-dan-dooley/.

BTW, although I haven't yet rented from Dooley in Ireland (I probably will for an upcoming trip in late April--the reason for my Google search), nearly everyone who isn't Ben or a commenter has said they're as good or better than anyone in Ireland. Ireland is just a tough renter's market. But his charitable observations (one rental counter worker had the personality of a rock, the other was wearing "a Catholic schoolgirl Halloween costume" although he was renting the car in late June/early July) combined with many of the comments, including the one from the Ben fanboy who screams it'll be good for Dooley "to learn the power of bloggers," demonstrate there's been little growth since 2012.

By the way, only those staying in the Four Seasons would be stunned at the prevalence of a certain four-letter word in Ireland that was also used frequently in Pulp Fiction.[/QUOTE]
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:02 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Interesting, especially from the same blog that not long ago had this to say:
I think you simply misread that post. He didn't mean HE shouldn't judge how others travel; he means YOU shouldn't!
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:11 pm

So it looks like Lucky is fighting burn out by adding guest contributors. I hope that helps.

Strangly, though, in checking that out I got the following pop-up:

Not sure how that beat my popup blocker. Also not sure if that's a OMAAT feature or a BA feature.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
So it looks like Lucky is fighting burn out by adding guest contributors. I hope that helps.

Not sure how that beat my popup blocker. Also not sure if that's a OMAAT feature or a BA feature.
Admittly I do not go to BA more then once a week if that and usually only if I have been alerted to a particularly bizarre post. I have never had that type of pop up so it may be his?

If I go directly to a BA blogger without going thru BA does BA know? I hate going thru BA just in principal.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:37 pm

Hilarious

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...w-private-jet/
Pastor Wants People To Pay $65 Million For His New Private Jet

Ben, in post: "Absolutely sickening to try and raise $65 million for a private jet in the name of God, in my opinion."

Commenter LarryInNYC: "He probably should have done a Kickstarter, right?"
hhdl likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
Hilarious

Ben, in post: "Absolutely sickening to try and raise $65 million for a private jet in the name of God, in my opinion."

Pot. Kettle. Why am I, sadly, not surprised. Love the Kickstarted comment.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I think you simply misread that post. He didn't mean HE shouldn't judge how others travel; he means YOU shouldn't!
Silly me!

I will occasionally get that pop up on several BA blogs - I can't seem to figure out what causes it to happen some times and not others...or why my popup blocker isn't killing it.

Hilarious

I love LarryInNYC's response! He usually has some pretty good comments.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 3:55 pm

Hilarious

Ouch.

Certainly shows a certain lack of self-awareness.

Of course, Ben's begging for dough for luxury flying was to service his readers, not his savior. Totally different kind of cult. @:-)
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

'if people are willing to pay' is irrelevant

its drama, and politically correct drama, the best kind (like criticizing 'one percent')
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:17 pm

Got another weird pop-up going to OMaaT today:

Whisky Tango Foxtrot!?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:04 pm

Maybe they're trying to sell data to third parties? It makes money...
Old Mar 18, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Got another weird pop-up going to OMaaT today:

Whisky Tango Foxtrot!?
I got that while trying to go to The Gate yesterday as well.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:08 pm

Just curious.. do bloggers like Ben risk being sued by the airlines when they post about mistake fares? Technically, they are profiting off the mistake by providing step by step details on how to book the fare on a page littered with ads and referral links. I know TPG goes as far as detailing how to complain to the DOT.

Or, why do airlines just not simply ban them from flying their airline? Maybe I have it wrong, but it is my understanding when a mistake fare hits Flyertalk it is not milked nearly as much as when it hits the blogs who then republish the information on every form of social media and then do follow up interviews with print and TV news.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Just curious.. do bloggers like Ben risk being sued by the airlines when they post about mistake fares? Technically, they are profiting off the mistake by providing step by step details on how to book the fare on a page littered with ads and referral links. I know TPG goes as far as detailing how to complain to the DOT.

Or, why do airlines just not simply ban them from flying their airline? Maybe I have it wrong, but it is my understanding when a mistake fare hits Flyertalk it is not milked nearly as much as when it hits the blogs who then republish the information on every form of social media and then do follow up interviews with print and TV news.
I think the airlines would have to prove that the blogger in question actually caused the damages. Sure, advertising a mistake fare might lead to more people knowing about it, but the actual proximate cause was the airline screwing up.

Now if a blogger posted step by step instructions on how to force your way into the airline's servers, that would be an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.