Search

Who is writing at Million Mile Secrets? [merged MMS discussions]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by sbm12
Depends on if it is done with the permission of the original author or not. :-:
Originally Posted by yerffej201
But even if the blogger gets the writer's permission, isn't it a bit strange when readers say they will send their links to the blogger because of the work the blogger himself/herself did? When s/he may or may not have?
Has Macomber complained ? If not you sound like the police or the Inspector from Les Misarbles !
Old May 27, 2013, 1:31 pm

Last edited by yerffej201; Mar 16, 2014 at 11:56 pm
Old May 27, 2013, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

But even if the blogger gets the writer's permission, isn't it a bit strange when readers say they will send their links to the blogger because of the work the blogger himself/herself did? When s/he may or may not have?
Meh.

Whether I commission something or write it myself I'd like to think that the value comes from the fact that it was produced, not who produced it.

Now, that's not to say that I'd feel comfortable personally claiming that I did the work if, in reality, I had contracted it out. But I think that is partly a different issue.
Old May 27, 2013, 3:50 pm

Old May 27, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
It's not an issue of whether the writer is okay with it or not. I complain. I find it unreasonable that readers are getting misled.
How do you figure you were misled ? !

Me, I don't like a program I cahnge the chanel or turn it off !

The post above needs to bee read twice.
Old May 27, 2013, 5:55 pm

Old May 27, 2013, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HMPS
How do you figure you were misled ? !
Because there are instances in the post and in his comment responses where it is written as if it is coming from Darius.

There are dozens of commenters who mistakenly think that Darius wrote that post. Are you trying to suggest they're not misled?
Old May 27, 2013, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Whether I commission something or write it myself I'd like to think that the value comes from the fact that it was produced, not who produced it.
Most of the "value" to MMS, and the reason he commisioned it was becuase he probably figured the affiliate dough he'll bring in by carpetbombing each post with affiliate links will be far higher than what he paid Drew

And when you try to constantly brag about how great you are on the disclosure front (heck, "he" even cited "his" mother-in-law in the post), it looks pretty terrible when you make TPG look like the Babe Ruth of disclosures by comparison. TPG might not disclose when he did and didn't write a post, but at least he doesn't actively mislead within it (to the best of my knowledge)
Old May 27, 2013, 9:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Plagiarism results in expulsion, in most academic institutions.

Here it carries monetary loses since the original author wont get the clicks and commissions. But if the real author says nothing, I guess he is Ok with the whole situation. I simply wont feel bad for reading the series and clicking on the better link, wherever it is.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by lacuadra
Yes, if you have a ghostwriter writing your thesis, or if you copy & paste without highlighting the source in a footnote.

Donald Rumsfeld writing his memoirs with the help of writers or someone writing content for the latest Danielle Steele novel is usually mentioned in the fine print some place on page three and the audience doesn't give a hoot.

I think blogs belong in the latter category and while you may have a point about the lead author avoiding the issue of who wrote what, in the grand picture of things this is not something to get worked up about
Old May 28, 2013, 1:57 am

Old May 28, 2013, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lacuadra

Here it carries monetary loses since the original author wont get the clicks and commissions.
It's a faulty argument, because he wouldn't have gotten the clicks if he wrote that on his site, since it isn't nearly as heavily trafficked as MMS

He probably got more money from MMS than would've expected to get in affiliate clicks for that series were it written on travelisfree.com

And MMS probably paid him less money than MMS expects to get in affiliate clicks on mms.com

So they both "win" in the monetary sense. MMS took a big hit in the credibility sense

But hey, judging from the comments (the ones he didn't censor), looks like he successfully duped enough people into thinking he personally put in 80+ hours out of the goodness of his heart
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:39 am

After FTU DC I gave a ride to Baltimore from another guy. It turned out he was a blogger (very minor, no one I've heard of and certainly not anyone on the panels).

He said that he did some ghost writing and I was surprised that would occur. It seems that some bloggers have associates and they're listed on the blog and that's really ok in my book. I didn't ask him who he wrote for, figuring he probably couldn't tell anyway.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:12 pm

Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Well for example TPG today has a post written by a "contributor." That's at least better disclosure.
And for perspective, TPG is one of the lower-end bloggers on the disclosure front

There's been a noticeable plummet in comments since MMS was going to "look into his comment policy" or whatever the phrase he used was. And almost all the comments universally positive

In fact, I think the only people who commented on his Friday interview was the usual conga of bloggers posting generic comments so they can get their website link in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.