Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I thought the Travel Bloggers were on our side? Fees and Politics

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2013, 7:48 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Another anti-government-trying-to-protect-consumers rant that I let myself get sucked into:

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...s-3-hour-rule/

Predictably, his readers disagree in the comments.

As one commenter points out, something tells me that if VFTW was on one of those 'only' 13 planes stuck on the tarmac for over 3 hours by Smisek and crew, the post would read very, very differently.

More to the point, though, it's bizarre that a points and travel blogger would take the airlines side against the government after the airline had tortured passengers. As I say in the comments:

Is VFTW putting his dogma over his customers/readers (again)?
Seth had a much more balanced post about the situation. The fact that UA didn't even try to follow its own plan, and realizes the plan wouldn't have worked, is troubling.

http://boardingarea.com/thewandering...irlines-1-1mm/

I understand being against excess government regulation as a matter of principle - heck I'm also not in favor of any more gov't meddling that necessary. But I don't get VFTW taking the particular stance that he did on this one.

And as the comment you referenced noted, it's easy to be dismissive, not having been the one smooshed into a Devil's Chariot for 3 hours. Having twice been stuck on the ground in one of those for 1-2 hours, on a hot summer's day, it's a pretty miserable experience.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by kokonutz

More to the point, though, it's bizarre that a points and travel blogger would take the airlines side against the government after the airline had tortured passengers.
I noticed the same thing with Randy and Inside Flyer Magazine several years ago.

The issue is that Randy, Gary et al stopped fighting for their readers 100% of the time. I can't say what the percentage is, but back in the early days of Inside Flyer and Flyertalk, the powers that be would never have taken the airlines side in these issues.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:12 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by dhammer53
I noticed the same thing with Randy and Inside Flyer Magazine several years ago.

The issue is that Randy, Gary et al stopped fighting for their readers 100% of the time. I can't say what the percentage is, but back in the early days of Inside Flyer and Flyertalk, the powers that be would never have taken the airlines side in these issues.
I guess this is why Consumer Reports does not take advertising, comps, affiliate revenue nor try to buddy up with the execs of the products they review. @:-)
Old Nov 6, 2013, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ingy
Some in this game get something out of hob nobbing with airline execs. Like they listen to travel hackers for how to run their businesses?

Others have strong financial sponsorships from the big travel industry exec. Sometimes, those two overlap.

You can clearly see the difference in philosophies between the FTU and Chicago Seminars. One advertises the opportunity to meet and hob nob with airline execs. The other doesn't invite them nor look for their sponsorship dollars.

Please don't lump bloggers all in the same boat. There are very clear distinctions. Some of us still are in it to play the game.
It's not just the bloggers that have been seduced. Online review sites and discussion forums' leaders have also been groomed by company management. Consumers are once again on the defensive -- even on the internet that was once being highlighted as a great leveler in the dynamic between consumers and suppliers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.