Reload this Page >

The points and miles blog business model

The points and miles blog business model

Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The CC shilling bonus disrupted the classic blogging concept. Thanks to the sign up bonus, miles and points bloggers nowadays don't need to keep an audience, but only make sure fresh blood comes in that is willing to use their 5/24 to sign up for cards using their links.
Probably true. Doesn't apply to me, though, being in the UK. I need an audience.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Raffles
Probably true. Doesn't apply to me, though, being in the UK. I need an audience.
Was I talking about you? Get you own 'bashing' thread!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The CC shilling bonus disrupted the classic blogging concept. Thanks to the sign up bonus, miles and points bloggers nowadays don't need to keep an audience, but only make sure fresh blood comes in that is willing to use their 5/24 to sign up for cards using their links.
Not news to me. But given:

1. the limited number of major issuers of cards in the markets of relevance; and

2. the situationally ironic double pressure of facing low barriers to entry for competition and yet there being a bigger fish in this sea to gobble up, like krill, the card shilling revenue,

most bloggers in this space who have made a career of this so far are likely in for a career disruption.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:50 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder

most bloggers in this space who have made a career of this so far are likely in for a career disruption.
Or more likely, a comfortable laid back retirement
Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ingy
Or more likely, a comfortable laid back retirement
..... say those who know they have gotten or will get a nice liquidity event for making a fruitful business out of their beloved hobby.

But those with such nice liquidity events for doing so are not a majority of those in this blogosphere space, right?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:24 pm

..... say those who know they have gotten or will get a nice liquidity event for making a fruitful business out of their beloved hobby.

But those with such nice liquidity events for doing so are not a majority of those in this blogosphere space, right?
Liquidity events are limited to those that went out on their own and not affiliated in an a boardingarea, priortoboarding, saverocity type websites. I believe that content is owned by the aggregator.

I can think of 3 that have, and one that could still have a liquidity event. You are right. Most did not take that last leap of faith.

Last edited by ingy; Jul 2, 2017 at 5:40 pm
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Liquidity events are limited to those that went out on their own and not affiliated in an a boardingarea, priortoboarding, saverocity type websites. I believe that content is owned by the aggregator.

I can think of 3 that have, and one that could still have a liquidity event. You are right. Most did not take that last leap of faith.
Pretty sure BA does not take ownership of content, I think they will even wipe your old content if you ask on leaving. I assume they don't even own your email list which, for many, is where the value sits.

It would be ludicrously bad business to give up ownership for a few dollars of ad revenue if it meant you could not sell later.

The downside for BA, of course, is that it would have minimal value itself if the writers could remove their historical content tomorrow.

My gut feeling is that, if your ad revenue is dwarfed by cars revenue, giving up some ad revenue in return for tech support and some reader feed is a decent deal. If you were totally reliant on ads you may feel differently.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
Pretty sure BA does not take ownership of content, I think they will even wipe your old content if you ask on leaving. I assume they don't even own your email list which, for many, is where the value sits.

It would be ludicrously bad business to give up ownership for a few dollars of ad revenue if it meant you could not sell later.

The downside for BA, of course, is that it would have minimal value itself if the writers could remove their historical content tomorrow.

My gut feeling is that, if your ad revenue is dwarfed by cars revenue, giving up some ad revenue in return for tech support and some reader feed is a decent deal. If you were totally reliant on ads you may feel differently.
How do you imagine a prospective buyer of a BA blog is going to be able to verify the income stream, readership, conversion rate or any analytics of the blog that would compel the potential buyer to pay 6,7 or 8 figures for said blog? I'm not so sure Randy would freely give up that info. Has any blogger indicated they have access to all that info for their blog? They obviously have income info, but I'm not so sure that is enough to compel a buyer to pull the trigger.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf

I'd wager there are probably less than literally 10 CC blogs that make a good full time living from CC shilling.

Probably another 10 who do it as part time income and the rest make pretty much nothing.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler

Each blogger 100% owns their own content. If anyone chooses to move it all goes with them. BoardingArea is simply a hosting platform for a number of the top bloggers on the planet.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by Renes Points
top bloggers on the planet.
Interesting.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:54 am

Thanks Rene

Each blogger 100% owns their own content. If anyone chooses to move it all goes with them. BoardingArea is simply a hosting platform for a number of the top bloggers on the planet.

That's good to know. I guess you long time guys can't or won't risk a move and possible sale as the revenue share for page views for some of you long time bloggers is too much to risk losing.

And the number of bloggers that still have decent cc links is so small, we may not see a sale for years to come.

You young bucks
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
That's good to know. I guess you long time guys can't or won't risk a move and possible sale as the revenue share for page views for some of you long time bloggers is too much to risk losing.

And the number of bloggers that still have decent cc links is so small, we may not see a sale for years to come.

You young bucks
I will say that BA ad team does an outstanding job selling out all the space at a premium price for the premium blogs that are hosted. ^
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:56 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I will say that BA ad team does an outstanding job selling out all the space at a premium price for the premium blogs that are hosted. ^
Is that what Gary and Lucky have told you?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
This space reserved for GPAPADOP's reaction to the above quote.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.