Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:27 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
>>>>>>>>>>>>>I objected not to his blog, but to his supporting derogatory comments and actually enflaming the issue with "rants".

It is your right to object or not as it is my right. Hey, our blogs
My blog's mission is (or was more like it) to review other travel blogs and call it as I see it. "Supporting derogatory comments" are your words, not mine. I thought I always made constructive suggestions and most took them well, even Delta Points. Not you. It's fine. I know you would come around. You also never appreciated my humor...you won't be the first one
"Ranting" was more like satire to me. You know, after reviewing so many blogs...I couldn't help it sometimes! I feel TBB made an impact and raised some issues AND has improved blogging practices even a little. You are even willing to do a separate blog post AND a seminar topic on it, Wow! Do you think that would have been possible if it was not for some good natured ranting from this crazy TBB guy?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>It worked for George to increase readership and find a place for the blog bashers to congregate.

I do NOT censor! If it is a pure personal attack Frank style, I would probably delete it(and feel bad about it still!). You should do that of course! But legitimate posts that disagree with you....I think only in the past few days you let them through. I was shocked you left gregorygrady's comment up in your site? Maybe my "rants" had something to do with that me bashing censoring. Again, probably not, but it does make me feel good thinking so!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Unfortunately, it did nothing to resolve the issues between bloggers and readers unhappy with the blogs.

Yep. It is all about being beholden to the entities that write the checks. As long as the checks are written these issues will be with us!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I know George has much more to offer and hopefully in his weekly posts, will take a more positive approach.

I have received so many comments/emails from my readers who are missing me already and that my presence, as one put it, "keeps bloggers in line", that I think about coming Brett Favre style. But doing what I did before is just not feasible. Maybe feature the one post a day that just blew me away or something like that. And let my readers go wild on my comments.

Final note: I never cared for #'s of readers. I have only checked out google analytics a few times. But in Blogger initial screen shows page views. Highest ever in a single day 1,115....So, how many are needed for Bent Offers to offer me affiliate links? Just kidding...

I had more to say but I need to catch some sleep. Big day tomorrow!

Last edited by gpapadop; Feb 10, 2013 at 10:39 pm
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
Civil discussion would not include calling out individual bloggers by name.

snip

Kind of surprised you don't want the opportunity for the good of the community? You'll reach infinitely more people with a post rather than help developing content for a seminar presentation, but that offer is still open if you want it.
Great example. In my opinion, the best way to highlight the issues is to provide specific examples of best and worst practices. I thought TBB was doing a bang up job in this regard. He called out bloggers by name, but I didn't find his posts to be uncivil. Sounds like he's taking a sabbatical so a void may need to be filled. To the extent I have the time, I may move forward with a project I was considering before TBB stepped up to the plate. It would be more of a collaborative effort as opposed to burdening one person with the heavy lifting. I see that as adding more value added than a guest post with sacred cows off limits.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop
I feel TBB made an impact and raised some issues AND has improved blogging practices even a little. You are even willing to do a separate blog post AND a seminar topic on it, Wow! Do you think that would have been possible if it was not for some good natured ranting from this crazy TBB guy?

I have received so many comments/emails from my readers who are missing me already and that my presence, as one put it, "keeps bloggers in line"
I too think you had a positive impact George, thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:18 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
I've been watching this thread over the last day or so debating whether or not to chime in. I'm a new blogger with no hope of ever getting credit card links as long as the main companies refuse to deal with small blogs so I will stay out of that topic.

The one thing I have been wondering about is how to deal with criticism if and when it happens on my blog. I've been learning a lot about what NOT to do just from this thread and comments on other blogs. I am not going to name manes, just techniques.

Don't censor. Don't get into an online mudslinging contest with the commenters even if they are rude because it makes you look just as bad as they do.

One blogger in particular has a good way to deal with this situation. Someone anonymously posted a personal insult on his blog, called him an idiot or something like that. He simply said "Thank you for your comment". That was impressive-no censoring, the commenter looked bad and the blogger looked dignified and classy. So now I know how to handle it when people criticize me on my blog.

Last edited by Tiki; Feb 11, 2013 at 4:36 am
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:59 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by HikerT
Great example. In my opinion, the best way to highlight the issues is to provide specific examples of best and worst practices. I thought TBB was doing a bang up job in this regard. He called out bloggers by name, but I didn't find his posts to be uncivil. Sounds like he's taking a sabbatical so a void may need to be filled. To the extent I have the time, I may move forward with a project I was considering before TBB stepped up to the plate. It would be more of a collaborative effort as opposed to burdening one person with the heavy lifting. I see that as adding more value added than a guest post with sacred cows off limits.

Ah, got it now, The sacred cows of bashing, name calling, bullying and unsubstantiated accusations, all practiced behind the wall of anonymity on the Internet. You have been given the opportunity to do something positive for this community and declined when asked to be civil.

So Noted.

Anybody else want to help write the suggested practices for publication?

Last edited by ingy; Feb 11, 2013 at 7:15 am
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by gpapadop
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I know George has much more to offer and hopefully in his weekly posts, will take a more positive approach.

I have received so many comments/emails from my readers who are missing me already and that my presence, as one put it, "keeps bloggers in line", that I think about coming Brett Favre style. But doing what I did before is just not feasible. Maybe feature the one post a day that just blew me away or something like that. And let my readers go wild on my comments.
FTG constantly wants to criticize you for your "negative posts" and the commentors on them, but even if you delete every single "bashing" comment on your threads, you would still get more comments in a day than FTG gets in a week

And your daily posts on a bad day would be about 10% calling out max

For every "not so best of" you'd probably have at least 3-4 "best of's", plus all the bloggers you were giving pub to in your odds+ends and your other sections.

Compare that to FTG, who has had at least 3-4 posts in the past couple of weeks that were 100% negative and bashing,

It makes you wonder how many more bloggers have to show up to your posts and have constructive discussions (even when you call them out) before FTG takes a look in the mirror and thinks "maybe it's me, not everyone else"

Just last week you called out Dan from DD's. He came, argued his side of the story, and had a constructive discussion with your readers. I didn't agree with him... but there was no whining, complaining or "woe is me" attitude on his part. MMS and MP have recently done the same
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
It is so hard to continue this conversation with the constant lack of understanding on the part of this segment of the population. YOur comment this week was deleted based on the tone of your remarks and bashing not the questioning of the numbers. When you learn the social skill of asking questions in a civilized, instead of hostile manner, Jeremy who writes the churning challenges will gladly answer your questions and respond to your comments. Until that time, we will continue to delete comments presented in that fashion. Our blog, Our Rules. If you don't like them or are unable to ask in a civilized manner please refrain from posting comments as it seems to be a waste of our time and yours.

I won't respond to your next post, giving you the last word and allowing the rest of the group to take away from our discussion what they will. It is going nowherer fast.
What is "this segment of the population"? You seem to be focusing only on a couple of posters' comments in this thread, posters with whom there appears to be some personal history amongst you all. But I don't see most of the comments in this thread being uncivilized or out of line - even if you disagree with them.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Probably would have been this, http://www.travelbloggerbuzz.com/, but as noted in yesterday's post, it's just too difficult to blog daily and keep up with the remainder of a life. Without daily updates, it may not have the coverage you're looking for.

Probably an object lesson somewhere in there.
Originally Posted by ddallas
I too think you had a positive impact George, thanks.
I just had a chance to read this blog and -- wow -- great work. Thanks, George.

Too bad you don't have the time to continue it on a daily basis. But who would?

Looking forward to reading your weekly summaries, though.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Actually, TBB is back. If Brett Favre can do it, why not me? Taking a different spin, much quicker posts only when I think it is worthy. No set schedule. Check First2Board new aggregate blog site!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:49 am

Ah, got it now, The sacred cows of bashing, name calling, bullying and unsubstantiated accusations, all practiced behind the wall of anonymity on the Internet. You have been given the opportunity to do something positive for this community and declined when asked to be civil.

So Noted.

Anybody else want to help write the suggested practices for publication?
I don't think any of the best or worst practices highlighted here or at TBB are unsubstantiated. How else would you substantiate them if not to provide specific examples? As far as the wall of anonymity, wasn't that one of your conditions for civility? I recall your blog post about TPG accepting a hotel comp. I didn't think it was uncivil. Like many of your readers, I was more disappointed that you wouldn't acknowledge the pink elephant in the room. I did get a chuckle that you followed up that post with an affiliate link fest the next day.

I think it's a bit disingenuous to say that I declined to be civil. I declined your guest blog post offer for several reasons. First, I anticipated it would not really be an open discussion, which you then validated by introducing other criteria. Second, I didn't think a guest post would have that much impact. You can post a speed limit, but that doesn't stop speeders. Third, I have another project that I'm considering, which I think would add more value. That said, if I did write a guest blog post I'd probably give first dibs to TBB.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:22 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Tiki
The one thing I have been wondering about is how to deal with criticism if and when it happens on my blog. I've been learning a lot about what NOT to do just from this thread and comments on other blogs. I am not going to name manes, just techniques.

Don't censor. Don't get into an online mudslinging contest with the commenters even if they are rude because it makes you look just as bad as they do.

One blogger in particular has a good way to deal with this situation. Someone anonymously posted a personal insult on his blog, called him an idiot or something like that. He simply said "Thank you for your comment". That was impressive-no censoring, the commenter looked bad and the blogger looked dignified and classy. So now I know how to handle it when people criticize me on my blog.
The only reader comments which should be censored are “spam” and possibly profanity, if the desire is to keep the commentary suitable for all ages.

I look at it this way: feedback is a gift. Regardless of whether the response is positive or negative in tone — if a reader is willing to give up his or her own time and effort to post a comment to something which you have written, that means that that person is reading what you wrote. That same person could simply not bother to comment if it was not worth his or her time or effort — which would indeed be an easier decision to make.

While it is always nice to receive positive comments, the best comments are usually from those who offer constructive criticism from which the “blogger” and other readers can actually learn — and when done in a civil discourse, that helps the weblog to become that much more useful.

All of this, of course, is merely my opinion.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Canarsie
The only reader comments which should be censored are “spam” and possibly profanity, if the desire is to keep the commentary suitable for all ages.
so how come it is fine to have FT completely censored top to bottom?

i see a pot and a black kettle

not that i condone censoring in any way shape or form. i do delete obvious spam but everything else stays even when some nice guy wants to call me a douche. which here on ft would be considered a personal attack and summarily removed by mods
Old Feb 11, 2013, 4:08 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
so how come it is fine to have FT completely censored top to bottom?

i see a pot and a black kettle
I personally do not see any cooking utensils...

...but the difference is that FlyerTalk is an Internet community bulletin board where members share their thoughts; whereas a weblog is usually written by one or more authors who post information — including but not limited to news and opinions — on topics which readers may comment.

Content is usually censored when a FlyerTalk member alerts the appropriate moderators of content not conforming to the Guidelines & Rules of FlyerTalk.

I do not believe that FlyerTalk is “completely censored top to bottom” — but what do I know? However, if you do have an issue with censorship on FlyerTalk, you are more than welcome to address your issue via private message to either a moderator or SanDiego1K, who is the community director of FlyerTalk.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT

I think it's a bit disingenuous to say that I declined to be civil.
I rhink a fair compromise would be for you to make that post, with the only catch being that you have to keep it at least as civil as FTG's posts after the 4 mile mistake, and in this comments section...

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...zies-come-out/
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:29 pm

There have been rare instances when content from bloggers have been added to flyertalk. For example, the link for aa visa/amex with landing page for 50k, 2 ac, $150 credit after 3k came from a blog originally and incorporated into aa thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.