Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I find the blog of little use, and don't read it. I don't know how it got such a prominent spot, frankly.
When he first started several years ago, he took on a somewhat folksy style and was very newbie-friendly. If a person did not know much about award travels he would find FTG's blog opened a "new world" for him. Though most experienced people would have already known most everything he comes up from his sleeves. As time went by the quality has gone downhill LONG BEFORE he was bought out by IB which also owns this site. Now with the newer generation of bloggers being so prolific, even newbies do not really need his blog any more.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
In defense of MV, maybe they use the donate button for peoples payments. It's really easy to get the donate button code ya know... Possible.

And in defense of Rick, even if he can sometimes make catty comments, I feel as though continually pointing out his low comments is equally low. He's just a guy, I'd hate for everyone to be watching what I say all the time.

I'm not trying to cut down the OP - I get the frustration... but FTers can be bad at dogging people. We've already done it and it's still here. If anyone wants to read about what they don't like about these cats, just use the search.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
I made an observation re the very prominent Donate button and decided not to review the blog.
then why not just not review the blog. instead of specifically calling it out and saying "i wont review it", which came off as pompous and added nothing to the conversation (which is something you value in comments)

Last edited by mia; Aug 22, 2012 at 7:25 am Reason: Formatting
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:31 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Good point

Originally Posted by freeloader
"I made an observation re the very prominent Donate button and decided not to review the blog."

then why not just not review the blog. instead of specifically calling it out and saying "i wont review it", which came off as pompous and added nothing to the conversation (which is something you value in comments)
On second thought, maybe you are right. Maybe I shouldn't have said a thing.

[...edit...]

Someday we would all love to find out why??? If you don't like them, don't read them. It really is that plain and simple.

Last edited by mia; Aug 22, 2012 at 7:27 am Reason: Remove inflammatory language
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:38 pm

Someday we would all love to find out why??? If you don't like them, don't read them. It really is that plain and simple.
You obviously have read the several threads where people rip on bloggers, and several people make articulate arguments about why they dislike the bloggers. You must just be choosing to ignore those criticisms. There are reasons to dislike bloggers even while not reading them.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Happy
I am one of your viewers. Your trip report is full of wits. I enjoy your writing style and your commentaries - some of them really crack me up. You should write more TRs.
Maybe I should have sprinkled referral links throughout the posts to help fund my escapades
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I think that's overstating the case. Since points/miles are generally most efficiently used for hotels/flights (you could waste points/miles on "experiences"), I think it's generally understood that you're going to spend dollars once you've arrived at your destination on things other than your hotel room. And, for many who consider "aspirational" travel, those additional costs can be quite significant, but I don't consider a points/miles blogger as I would a more general travel guide, like Fodor's, etc. Geez, for those complaining about the length and number of trip reports, it would only get worse if bloggers started including all of that information.
I think it's just very disingenuous to (repeatedly) state that your honeymoon cost only $2000, when that's just the travel cost. Would you tell your friends and family that? I certainly don't tell people my Hawaii trips only cost $15, just because the only hotel/air costs are the security fees. The headline is being used for ~15 posts, of which only one explains the questionable accounting.

On the other hand, I've never thought it was generally possible to go from ORF to HNL for less than $800, with the West Coast to HNL leg in First. The cheapest fare in Y is rarely less than $850--so off the bat, I've saved $50 for a flight plus gotten a higher class of travel for the leg likeliest to be the longest on my trip. Further comparison with this thread in the MR forum, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...97-rt-all.html, indicates that getting a RT in Y from SJC to KOA for about $300 is considered a great deal so $378 for a guaranteed seat in First is worth telling to a blogger's audience, especially when a paid upgrade on AS, if available (and only made available 24 hours before a flight), would cost $300 RT in addition to the amount already charged for the seat in Y.
You don't have to justify your purchase. It can definitely be a deal. But will you tell your friends that your First Class Hawaii trip only cost you $370?
The two blogs I'm referencing both simply state in their headline that they booked their tickets to Hawaii for $32X-$37X. But they aren't on their way to Hawaii until they pay $200 min each, fly half the country, with connections, in coach.

The other thing that's not being discussed is that with these positioning flights, you're taking a gamble by trying to catch a connection on a separate ticket, especially on the outbound. With no alliance protections on Alaska, it's taking either a big monetary gamble on a misconnect, or the expense of overnight lodging and a wasted vacation day. Another issue? SJC-LIH/HNL is currently $300-320 in September/October, $500 over Christmas. Those fares aren't sustainable, that route doesn't sound healthy. Those sort of things aren't discussed, only the POSITIVES! YEAH HAWAII FIRST CLASS!
It could be me, maybe I'm just too anal and sarcastic. I like the two blogs in question, so it's sad to see them stoop to Huffington Post/Drudge Report levels to generate page views. Since this is supposed to be a thread about the best, I guess it's a good time to give kudos to One Mile at a Time/Cranky Flier/Wandering Aramean for all injecting some much needed humor/wit to my news reader.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:58 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Small Print = SuperSaver Award Availability.

"$378 for a guaranteed seat in First"

I'd put a big caution on that one if I were a blogger so people don't get too excited thinking they can be flexible and still get it - then spending real money to buy iceland miles. First is very hard to get on supersaver and they have even removed this as an option from the BOGO Certs you get with the credit card. I've feel sorry for some people who might jump on buying these miles without first having the availability in hand... The delays from buying miles to being able to make the award reservations alone could cause an issue.

I've known about this option for buying iceland miles (without 20% bonus) or transferring from points for quite a while but didn't do it just due to my knowledge of availability on supersaver awards. The BOA CCs BOGO's coach paid tickets work out well and I earn miles on the tickets too. Previously these even worked for 1st class.

I would like to give complements to bloggers who don't filter feedback posts or comments. Many do... The one's who don't are credible - IMHO. Its a feedback loop that isn't filtered for people to check with.

I think that's overstating the case. Since points/miles are generally most efficiently used for hotels/flights (you could waste points/miles on "experiences"), I think it's generally understood that you're going to spend dollars once you've arrived at your destination on things other than your hotel room. And, for many who consider "aspirational" travel, those additional costs can be quite significant, but I don't consider a points/miles blogger as I would a more general travel guide, like Fodor's, etc. Geez, for those complaining about the length and number of trip reports, it would only get worse if bloggers started including all of that information. After all, if you travel to Manhattan, you could blow a lot of money on a meal at Per Se or could you spend very little at a McDonald's.

With the Icelandair points deal, the bloggers I've read have made it quite clear that the qualifying flights are nonstop to Hawaii from cities that Alaska serves. Award bookings are subject to variable fees and costs. As a result, I've never thought that it would only cost me $328 to go from ORF to HNL.

On the other hand, I've never thought it was generally possible to go from ORF to HNL for less than $800, with the West Coast to HNL leg in First. The cheapest fare in Y is rarely less than $850--so off the bat, I've saved $50 for a flight plus gotten a higher class of travel for the leg likeliest to be the longest on my trip. Further comparison with this thread in the MR forum, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...97-rt-all.html, indicates that getting a RT in Y from SJC to KOA for about $300 is considered a great deal so $378 for a guaranteed seat in First is worth telling to a blogger's audience, especially when a paid upgrade on AS, if available (and only made available 24 hours before a flight), would cost $300 RT in addition to the amount already charged for the seat in Y.

Now, whether AS's First service is all that big a deal, that's a different story. From what I can tell, the seats are pretty standard domestic First--21 inches wide, 36 inches of seat pitch. There also seem to be reports of increasing lack of award availability--probably a direct product of the publicity this deal has received.

But I don't consider the information provided to be delusional or misleading. Just not a great value to everybody. And, several of the bloggers have acknowledged that as well.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
This Icelandair thing confuses me. After all, if it is a great deal with just a 20 per cent bonus then clearly it was also pretty great deal originally .... but no-one wrote about it. However, Iceland needs the foreign currency so it's not all bad.

By the way, has anyone seen the MMS videos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lwluqYYqTs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRXCfh-Z044

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64J1UsfyzOs

Although by the standards of US network TV it probably holds up well!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by amolkold
Maybe I should have sprinkled referral links throughout the posts to help fund my escapades
Can we compromise on one tastefully done one (that is in line with the FT guidelines, of course)

I agree, well written! Reminds me that I need to search the TR section more when doing travel planning. I tend to not read that section, but some excellent reference material (and comedy too, if I have the time).
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:38 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Raffles
This Icelandair thing confuses me. After all, if it is a great deal with just a 20 per cent bonus then clearly it was also pretty great deal originally .... but no-one wrote about it.
I wondered that too, as the non-bonus purchase is still potentially a good deal... I guess no one had paid any attention to Icelandair. May be some other obscure programs with good deals... hey I know, I can set up a blog and throw in Icelandair credit card referral links...
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Raffles
This Icelandair thing confuses me. After all, if it is a great deal with just a 20 per cent bonus then clearly it was also pretty great deal originally .... but no-one wrote about it. However, Iceland needs the foreign currency so it's not all bad.
Why bother when you can write 5 post about Chase cards, update on you Chase card application, reminder to get your Chase card and discuss which Chase card is better to use at Hooters.

Last edited by ThePointsCollector; Aug 22, 2012 at 7:19 am
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread started by Bloodshot2k has been merged into this discussion, posts 973-995. Most of the posts from that thread have been scrubbed to remove personal characterizations of a blogger, whether favorable or critical. Write about the blog, but not about the person.

This is the Flyertalk guideline which governs this discussion:

If you disagree with another member, challenge the opinion or idea - not the person. Personal attacks, insults and "flaming" will not be tolerated and will be removed, and the violator will be subject to disciplinary action. You may challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:01 am

On second thought, maybe you are right. Maybe I shouldn't have said a thing.

[...edit...]

First, I think you have the right to express your opinion (although I don't agree with the content of your post).

I think people are clearly stating it: either stating what they like, and sometimes, what they do not like.

And it's not that plain and simple: we see the effects on FT (and elsewhere) even if we don't read them. How:
1) bloggers on FT posting comments to drive traffic to their site (again, very few, many are truly participating)
2) newbies who come to FT after getting information from some blogs and then have points that they can't use, etc.

When we do read certain blogs and see behavior that we interpret as misleading ...well that doesn't sit well.

And, can't we articulate why we don't read blogs on FT (similar to your comment as to why you wouldn't review someone's blog)? I would think that's good (not to mention free) market research.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: DL, Amex MR
One blogger has a post today explaining when to use the Chase Freedom and when to use the Amex Premier Gold.

He managed to stick in a dozen referral links. Unless his readers cannot tell whether a 2x or a 5x bonus is better, the post is marginally useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.