Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Sign in using an external account

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 11, 13, 10:47 pm   #1381
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: LAX
Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 274
My blog is definitely not the most useful blog! I think onemileatatime is the most useful for booking advice. Otherwise I just go to google!
__________________
www.romsdeals.com - My Adventures Using Points and Miles!
romsdeals3 is offline  
Old Feb 11, 13, 11:56 pm   #1382
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 22
this is one of the most painful threads to read.

i hope future bloggers don't use this thread as a basis of how they should approach their blogs.
DavidSkaggs is offline  
Old Feb 12, 13, 6:18 am   #1383
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSkaggs View Post
this is one of the most painful threads to read.

i hope future bloggers don't use this thread as a basis of how they should approach their blogs.
Of course they won't. They will continue to use the approach that garners them the most $$$$ the quickest.
hotelmotel is offline  
Old Feb 12, 13, 7:10 am   #1384
Senior Moderator; Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 25,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
Check First2Board new aggregate blog site!
Interesting development: two bloggers seem to be about to jump ship from the leading aggregator.

Had some lengthy email and bb exchanges last night. My gut feeling tells me its 2006-07 all over again, this time in the blogosphere.
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Feb 12, 13, 9:09 am   #1385
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DAY
Programs: Mahalo Rewards, UA Silver, DL Gold, HH Gold, PCR Plat, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Interesting development: two bloggers seem to be about to jump ship from the leading aggregator.

Had some lengthy email and bb exchanges last night. My gut feeling tells me its 2006-07 all over again, this time in the blogosphere.
I was oblivious to the FF world at the time - what happened in 2006-2007?
84fiero is offline  
Old Feb 12, 13, 9:21 am   #1386
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Austin Texas
Programs: "But, I'm a diamond guest...."
Posts: 1,660
I find FTG to be irritatingly hard to read, so I rarely bother stopping there.

Generally I think TPG does a reasonable job of consolidation of whats going on in the various programs I participate in, plus he's spend time/money to present his stuff in a reasonable manner so you arent clawing over thousands of crappy links in every story.

Still doesnt beat coming here to the forums, as FT and other forums, provide near instantaneous to deals prior to many of the blogs picking them up and the deals going kaput.
austin_modern is offline  
Old Feb 12, 13, 9:47 am   #1387
Senior Moderator; Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 25,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
I was oblivious to the FF world at the time - what happened in 2006-2007?
Ventures with lot of cash purchased assets they believed to be the key to web 2.0 success, at the time these were BBs that always popped up at the top of google searches.
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Feb 12, 13, 11:35 am   #1388
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin_modern View Post
plus he's spend time/money to present his stuff in a reasonable manner so you arent clawing over thousands of crappy links in every story.


http://thepointsguy.com/2012/12/my-r...-credit-cards/
the hotel bar is offline  
Old Feb 12, 13, 2:12 pm   #1389
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 161
I would say it isnt an easy task collecting and linking to the best stories out there that are relevant to earning points and miles. Lots of fluff and tons of stories with filler and CC links. I would like to see more people blogging about real strategies/insight instead of repeating the same 2-3 themes.
MileageUpdate is offline  
Old Feb 12, 13, 2:48 pm   #1390
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SNA/LAX
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileageUpdate View Post
I would say it isnt an easy task collecting and linking to the best stories out there that are relevant to earning points and miles. Lots of fluff and tons of stories with filler and CC links. I would like to see more people blogging about real strategies/insight instead of repeating the same 2-3 themes.
I have been trying to advocate for this for quite some time. If it's not new information, simply link to where that information exists. This is why FT is great...consolidation. This needs to happen more in the blogging world where possible.
TravelSummary is offline  
Old Feb 12, 13, 2:58 pm   #1391
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: By the airport
Programs: US Airways Chmn,SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond,Club Carlson Gold,Hyatt Plat,Avis FP,IHG Plat,Marriott Plat
Posts: 23
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney View Post
LoyaltyLobby seems to be above all this bickering and is the one I trust most for unbiased info and no shameless plugs of credit cards. While the other bloggers don't always credit them, LoyaltyLobby has broken many stories. LL could use a proofreader though.

My award for the least useful is deltapoints.
Totally agree about John from Loyalty Lobby and ill add one more who does not post every day and has good content , Jared from OTR and Wandering Aramean.

Last edited by pilotb757; Feb 12, 13 at 5:42 pm..
pilotb757 is offline  
Old Feb 12, 13, 3:57 pm   #1392
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotb757 View Post
Totally agree about John from Loyalty Lobby and ill add one more who does not post every day and has good content , Jared from OTR
Wandering Aramean doesn't really participate in the konga lines of hat tips, and certainly doesn't pimp CC's. Also has very useful tools

Probably has done more the help out the FF community than anyone in the past few years except Frequent Miler
the hotel bar is offline  
Old Feb 12, 13, 4:17 pm   #1393
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Programs: AA, US, SQ, DJ, PC, SPG
Posts: 2,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Interesting development: two bloggers seem to be about to jump ship from the leading aggregator.

Had some lengthy email and bb exchanges last night. My gut feeling tells me its 2006-07 all over again, this time in the blogosphere.
This is very interesting, especially since the leading aggregator has very high Alexa rankings.
Quote:
Alexa Traffic Rank: 18,011 United States Flag Traffic Rank in US: 4,623
link-icon Sites Linking In: 2,018
The About Me page of the new aggregator doesn't say who is behind it, does anyone know?

By contrast this is Flyertalk's Alexa ranking.
Quote:
Alexa Traffic Rank: 6,305 United States Flag Traffic Rank in US: 2,498
link-icon Sites Linking In: 3,452
So these two bloggers are basically starting fresh and trying to build new rankings.
__________________
Miles To The Wild Use miles and points to help create eco-travel and birding adventures!
Frequent Flyers with Feathers
Tiki is offline  
Old Feb 12, 13, 4:26 pm   #1394
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Programs: AA, US, SQ, DJ, PC, SPG
Posts: 2,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarsie View Post
I personally do not see any cooking utensils...

...but the difference is that FlyerTalk is an Internet community bulletin board where members share their thoughts; whereas a weblog is usually written by one or more authors who post information — including but not limited to news and opinions — on topics which readers may comment.

Content is usually censored when a FlyerTalk member alerts the appropriate moderators of content not conforming to the Guidelines & Rules of FlyerTalk.

I do not believe that FlyerTalk is “completely censored top to bottom” — but what do I know? However, if you do have an issue with censorship on FlyerTalk, you are more than welcome to address your issue via private message to either a moderator or SanDiego1K, who is the community director of FlyerTalk.
I have no issues with censoring profanity as long as the rest of the post is kept intact and maybe just replace the word with $%#& so people knew what the person was originally saying-if that makes sense.

The one thing that really annoys me on FT generically is when threads get closed. Some mods forget that there are people in all time zones here and if a thread is going in a way they don't like in the US time zones, they lock it so when Aussies and Asians wake up, there could have been an interesting discussion that we can't participate in.
__________________
Miles To The Wild Use miles and points to help create eco-travel and birding adventures!
Frequent Flyers with Feathers
Tiki is offline  
Old Feb 12, 13, 4:38 pm   #1395
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: RDU
Programs: DL FO, AA LT PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Other Crap...
Posts: 5,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarsie View Post
I personally do not see any cooking utensils...

...but the difference is that FlyerTalk is an Internet community bulletin board where members share their thoughts; whereas a weblog is usually written by one or more authors who post information — including but not limited to news and opinions — on topics which readers may comment.

Content is usually censored when a FlyerTalk member alerts the appropriate moderators of content not conforming to the Guidelines & Rules of FlyerTalk.

I do not believe that FlyerTalk is “completely censored top to bottom” — but what do I know? However, if you do have an issue with censorship on FlyerTalk, you are more than welcome to address your issue via private message to either a moderator or SanDiego1K, who is the community director of FlyerTalk.
I live with the censorship that FT implements. But it is inherent in every area. I cannot make personal attacks, even if worded politely. They will be removed by a moderator. You seem to be arguing it's ok to do this though on a blog against the author, as long as there is no profanity involved. I see a pot and black kettle right there.

Secondly you can't question a moderator's action here. Well that is the ultimate trump card. Some blog authors take this approach - Delta Points springs to mind. At least he's open and honest about it, but I prefer fully open dialog, where only obvious spam and stupid stuff like "your mom is an xyz" content is removed. But the fact is here a moderator can take an action such as closing an entire thread or removing posts and you are basically not even allowed to discuss it. More pots and kettles here.

And I just don't buy the distinction on FT being a community. Heck it's the same community members that post comments on the blog. And MilePoint lives just fine without any moderation (as do many other huge online communities). I think there are arguments for and against moderation of forums, I prefer not to have it but can live with it, so this is not an argument for or against moderation. But I do not buy that someone can say hey it's ok to moderate my forums over here, but you over there on your blog, you have to let everyone take a crack at you. That attitude generally stems from folks who do not like what the guy on the blog over there is saying. And that is where it turns to real censorship.
__________________
MilesAbound - my blog | Trip Report: Emirates A380 F JFK-DXB
ma91pmh is offline  
 
 
Closed Thread

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:32 pm.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.