Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:50 am

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
I think Darius has had the best blog lately.
Only if your main interest is watching his wife in front of different backgrounds.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by slowly
Only if your main interest is watching his wife in front of different backgrounds.

LOL. So true!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by slowly
Only if your main interest is...
No need to go there!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by QL_714
No need to go there!
Why not? He has a picture of his wife in just about every post. Every post that doesn't contain a picture talks about a credit card, and begins with, "Emily and I..."

Most of his stuff isn't all that good, but I do find his "best current CC offers" bookmark useful.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by QL_714
No need to go there!
He didn't "go" anywhere. This thread is a discussion of what the most useful travel blog is out there, and he weighed in with an observation of the content on one of them.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

After reading his post about the PH Vendome I really couldn't stand it any more....
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by DHAST
Most of his stuff isn't all that good, but I do find his "best current CC offers" bookmark useful.
More helpful than the sticky at the top of this forum? I find that more comprehensive, so this is a genuine question as I would like to know if I missed something when I glanced through his listing. I was turned off by the endless vacation photos
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:17 pm

I was beginning to think the same thing. Hopefully this is one thing he listens to as far as reader feedback.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I've posted before, probably in this thread, I really like the points/miles earning posts on any blog that I follow.

I really don't like, and can't dismiss fast enough, any of the trip reports. I'm generally just not interested at best, and sometimes even annoyed.

I do understand that, to newbies, these trip reports represent a "see what I did with these tricks I'm blogging about" proof-of-concept.

Even my fave, Frequent Miler, does trip reports. So there must be value in it for the bloggers.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern

Even my fave, Frequent Miler, does trip reports. So there must be value in it for the bloggers.
I don't remember Frequent Miler's other trip reports, but his latest one was very different from the other folks out there.

99% of trip reports are brags, oozing at the seams with "look at me! look at me!". Frequent Miler's felt like he was just talking about getting the chance to take in nature with his family (on a cruise he paid for). And oh, btw, he got there and back using some points. Very different from "LOOK AT ALL THESE THINGS THE FLIGHT ATTENDANTS MADE FOR ME BECAUSE I FLY FIRST CLASS WITH THEM SO OFTEN AND THEY LOVE ME!!"
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Validation - 'See, it worked for me and you can do it too!' - which I understand and see as part of the game, but there's a difference between providing proof of success and going way overboard. If I want photos of the bathroom of a hotel, I'll look at their web site or Travelocity or some such site.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:54 pm

I actually enjoy Lucky's TRs, because he's such a good writer and seems to mix it up with the right balance of pics. I'd agree re. some of the other blogs though, they just don't have the knack for it. One in particular makes me nauseous with all the non-relevant card pimping that seems to find a way into every blog post, including TRs.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Lucky's TRs are actually really informative, and if I'm flying a route/airline I'm not familiar with, I'll usually check to see if he's written about it.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: A few
As I've posted before, probably in this thread, I really like the points/miles earning posts on any blog that I follow.

I really don't like, and can't dismiss fast enough, any of the trip reports. I'm generally just not interested at best, and sometimes even annoyed.

I do understand that, to newbies, these trip reports represent a "see what I did with these tricks I'm blogging about" proof-of-concept.

There is a dedicated forum here on FT for Trip Reports.

Airliners.net has gazillions of Trip Reports.

Bloggers write many, many Trip Reports.

There is clearly a market for them. If you don't like there is no-one forcing you to read, and frankly I think it is unfair to call out a blogger for putting them. Hell I can't stand baseball or football but I don't moan about ESPN or Fox showing them, I just don't watch.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
Lucky's TRs are actually really informative, and if I'm flying a route/airline I'm not familiar with, I'll usually check to see if he's written about it.
I too have used them in the past when investigating what product/airline to book. A little too many pics of food and what the armrest controls look like, but overall it can be a helpful archive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.