Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BigWillyStyles -

You have clearly been doing a lot of reading. This is an excellent post. You've only got 25, so it seems, so you are clearly a proponent of quality over quantity.

And I agree with you on most, if not all, of these points.

And as to the 'slippers' comment, I think the mention of the 'wife' in the same sentence is a pretty good clue. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the two second-tier bloggers you mention both quit their jobs in the last few years to focus on their blogs.

Anyway, I really enjoyed reading the post. Insightful and accurate.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
One point I think we are missing is the credit card issuers need these blogger to reach profitable customers, they don’t want to advertise their best deals on a board like flyertalk where there is a savvy audience who will maximize the benefit out of a given offer and then move on. They want to find a place that will come up with a google search of “best reward credit card”. Someone is looking finds a blog and then applies through it after reading how “great” it is, this same person does not bother to read the fine print or learn the ins and outs and gets average benefits from the card and possible makes the credit card company some money, especially sine they will keep the card for many years since the credit card companies have people scared that if they close their account they will hurt their credit score.
That said I am very thankful to blogs like FTG. I found FTG through a google search about 2.5 years ago and started reading daily for about 3 months before jumping in, then through FTG I found FT. I understand that new content is hard, and many complain that they just promote credit cards, well I want to know about new credit cards.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
I was busy for a few days and missed all that.

A new low. That'll teach Travelocity to make a charitable gesture.
The lesson it should teach Travelocity is expend a little effort and write some "Terms and Conditions".
Old Aug 17, 2012, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by BigWillyStyles
the true 5 star players are the ones who you either dont know about, or are known about only here. You can take one thread of a mileage run topic and 90% of the posters on it are probably light years better than everyone on any field of points, miles, and status accumulation than the ones who are posting about it, so thank god for the Flyer Talk forums.
+1

Last edited by mia; Aug 17, 2012 at 2:26 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Aug 17, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Just for comparison sake, Im on the opposite end of the spectrum than you are. I have disastrous credit, and I have to nickel and dime with a Netflix membership here, and an FTD Floral order there. It sucks to grind out miles like that but it does at least teach you how to learn the system from the bottom up. With that being said, Id much rather be in the position that you are in.

I think the biggest problem that I currently see, and one that will only get worse, are the tons of copycat blogs that are starting to pop up. You can go back over time of any industry that goes from an underground niche to all of the sudden going mainstream, and watch as more people start jumping in because they see their chance for stardom, even though in this industry stardom may mean blog hits and referral links. People start seeing fame and fortune and they lose their minds. Like for example, look at sports journalism today. It used to be about covering games and players, now the reporters are trying to become bigger than the story and have their own shows, their own endorsement deals, etc...Its completely jumped the tracks and practically ruined the QUALITY of that industry.

Within this industry I feel like there are (3) tiers of bloggers right now. The first tier are the true, great bloggers who have been around for a while. I think we know who most of them are. I wont name the bad ones out of respect to the moderator(s) here, cause god forbid I say someone's name controversially, but I think its ok to praise some of the good ones by name. Frugal Travel Guy, his insight just on credit card handling alone is awesome. Lucky I feel does the best when it comes to the air, and painting such a great picture of showing everyone what he's actually preaching. They are informative and educational, without sounding the alarms everywhere and rehashing all of the same info. Gary from VFTW also is awesome.

Then you have that next tier of the newer generation of bloggers who have gotten bigger recently, but completely lack all sense of decorum and would sell out an entire group of travelers if it meant that, oh lets say he and his wife for example, could finagle an extra pair of slippers from the Hyatt or an extra Won Ton out of the BA Airport Lounge. Or a guy who subliminally, or not so subliminally, pimps out his flight booking services for clients with practically every example of points usage he cites. Those are the guys who would step on the throat of everyone they lifted and learned things from if it means they can get on TV, and parlay themselves as the foremost authoritative voices in travel. Pfffttttt....

Then the third tier of bloggers are the copycat blogs of people who envy the 2nd tier bloggers, and want to be famous like them (with the definition of fame being that they have 1,000 followers on Twitter now!) and this is where it becomes information overload. They see a deal from one of the bigger bloggers, then they each broadcast it out, (often not giving credit and making it look like it came from them), and we end up with 500 blogs repeating that you can get 20 Jet Blue miles at Wendy's if you go get a chicken sandwich at lunch that day. You can often set your watch that if a bigger blogger does an entry on how best to use SPG points, it is only a matter of weeks before one of these thieves copies the entire theme of the post and passes it off as one of their own creations.

And with that all being said, the true 5 star players are the ones who you either dont know about, or are known about only here. You can take one thread of a mileage run topic and 90% of the posters on it are probably light years better than everyone on any field of points, miles, and status accumulation than the ones who are posting about it, so thank god for the Flyer Talk forums.

I personally think the great ones are great to follow and read and always will be, and will always lead the way, but the ones underneath them are going to be the ones who destroy the game we all know and love in one way or another. Good lord, if the US Mint thing was happening today, there'd be 50 knockoff blogs filming themselves walking into the banks with the boxes of their coins and bragging about how they just got enough free miles to fly their family to the Equator in lie-flat business cabin on Oceanic Airlines. And to be fair, its never gonna be destroyed, IM probably overreacting. There is too much competition out there and there are too many idiots running companies and marketing departments who are bad at their job. They will continue to make mistakes, and we will continue to gain from them and they really wont care, because for the 10,000 tuned in Flyers who have gotten 75,000 Chase Points and maxed out the best value off their cards, there are 50 million others who are clueless what a signup bonus is and are excited to cash in their 40,000 points for a pair of matinee movie tickets! You cant make comedy like this up. Welcome to the circus, be sure to stop and get some more popcorn at intermission.
Boy, give me drama or give me death
Old Aug 17, 2012, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Flyertalk-type applicants provide a source of high credit score accounts to blend into the pools.
What data is this based on?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by QL_714
I think that's a reasonable assumption without any hard data. I'm quite sure that FTers are more credit-savvy than your average consumer, and hence have a higher average credit score. Are there exceptions? Sure, but on average, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a statistical difference.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Then you have that next tier of the newer generation of bloggers who have gotten bigger recently, but completely lack all sense of decorum and would sell out an entire group of travelers if it meant that, oh lets say he and his wife for example, could finagle an extra pair of slippers from the Hyatt or an extra Won Ton out of the BA Airport Lounge. Or a guy who subliminally, or not so subliminally, pimps out his flight booking services for clients with practically every example of points usage he cites. Those are the guys who would step on the throat of everyone they lifted and learned things from if it means they can get on TV, and parlay themselves as the foremost authoritative voices in travel. Pfffttttt....
I started reading some of the blogs because of this thread, just to see what all the fuss is about. This paragraph of your post is hilarious. Clearly I haven't covered all the blogs because I haven't come across the point pimp yet.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
First off, I think our bloggers deserve credit for their time spent analyzing and writing about offers.

How much do you think the popular bloggers make in commissions for credit card signup offers and other links posted on their sites?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by QL_714
Anecdotal, based on years of reading nearly every thread in the Flyertalk credit card forums. A high propotion of posters self report FICO scores in the high 700's and nearly everyone understands that carrying a balance is out of the question when using cards to generate miles and points. This is different from the typical USA household credit profile.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:45 am

I only read this forum (MB) so you got me there. The questions and comments I have seen about inquires and open/closed accounts made me believe most don’t understand how credit scores work. One of the biggest misconceptions is that carrying a balance is a bad thing or that it will kill your score. If you are not carrying a balance on some cards (0%) you really are throwing money away.

I didn’t mean to interrupt the discussion on how great bloggers are.

Sorry for the OT.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by mia
Anecdotal, based on years of reading nearly every thread in the Flyertalk credit card forums. A high propotion of posters self report FICO scores in the high 700's and nearly everyone understands that carrying a balance is out of the question when using cards to generate miles and points. This is different from the typical USA household credit profile.
+1. I glanced at the Facebook page of my primary credit union the other day, and they were soliciting input on what people look for in a credit card. I'd say over 50% of the responses were something like "a low, fixed rate!". Really? That's the absolute LAST thing I care about in a credit card (and I'm sure that's the same for many FTers).
Old Aug 18, 2012, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by eethan
First off, I think our bloggers deserve credit for their time spent analyzing and writing about offers.

How much do you think the popular bloggers make in commissions for credit card signup offers and other links posted on their sites?
They make MUCH more than you realize, given how much credit you think they deserve. Bloggers spend time analyzing and writing about offers because it is their job and it puts food on the table. Its a business.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:00 am
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by eethan

It's certainly not a "small fee" as some suggest, unless you view it in relation to the amount of effort required. It's not a huge fee either.

Another way to think about the revenue generated is that a certain amount of sales volume is required to stay in the banks' good graces. They don't want a guy who's only making one or two sales a month. So the successful affiliates are making a minimum of four figures each month.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Scottrick
So the successful affiliates are making a minimum of four figures each month.
and the top of the tree is well into five.

and the more i think about it, good for them. it's up to the consumer to decide if they find the content useful or not and many clearly do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.