Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: continental, united premier, hyatt diamond, marriott silver, priority club platinum amb,hilton gold
Well put. And many apologies if I unfaily singled you out. But you were responding so I put my questions to you. And again you are just one of many many travel bloggers. But again its seems to me that people, newbies and others look to these blogs for the good information extracted from the tons of information on FT and MP and other places. But lately its been all about CC sign ups where the bloggers get referalls and trip reports. Now I know all about alot of secretive stuff. As well as you do. But I guess what I am trying to say is this info only for us chosen few. Or should it be served to everyone. The catch 22 is if we do that then will that goodie be corrected by the airline/hotel and will disappear.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:40 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by stinkycop
Now I know all about alot of secretive stuff. As well as you do. But I guess what I am trying to say is this info only for us chosen few. Or should it be served to everyone. The catch 22 is if we do that then will that goodie be corrected by the airline/hotel and will disappear.
The prevailing argument is supposedly that if that secretive information is “served to everyone” rather than to those few who find out about it, it may not be long at all before it is no longer available to anyone.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: continental, united premier, hyatt diamond, marriott silver, priority club platinum amb,hilton gold
Originally Posted by Canarsie
The prevailing argument is supposedly that if that secretive information is “served to everyone” rather than to those few who find out about it, it may not be long at all before it is no longer available to anyone.
Agreed. But my issue is also that maybe a little Quid Quo Pro is due here. I have no problems with the bloggers advertising or getting a commission for thier CC referrals. Because it is up to me whether to utilize them or just go to the web site. But this appears to me to have gone from hobby blogs to a business. Hell, FTG I understand just sold his blog. So now I look at myself as a clients if I use thier portal And as a client are not I am entitled to that hidden information?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:51 am

Lately the blogs have been all about trip reports and CC sign ups. Just wondering why no blog ever exposed all the secrets of the trick it/negotiate it thread. I know that would cause holy hell. I know Million Mile Secrets let some of the cat out of the bag and he was lambasted in his comments section. I guess to me at least that all the good stuff like mistake fares and FD'ing are only for those in the know and not to be exposed. I may be wrong on this but it is just my POV.
Originally Posted by Canarsie

Times change. This may be the era when most bloggers are converting to the 'credit card marketing' approach. People (no, FT'ers) will recognize this and move on accordingly. I will, however, tell you that at the end it will make minimal (no) difference to any of the bloggers' bottom line. We are not the group they depend on to make most of their affiliate commission. They know that. Many here just need to understand the same.

As far as letting the cat out of the bag completely, I think, after being on FT for a few months, most of us have at least 1 secret that we have not let out of the bag either, because we want to enjoy it and reap the benefits for as long as possible. Likewise, no (smart) business-person will tell all of their secrets. It's about finding the balance between being genuine, offering unique content, and still find a way to bring people back to your business (website). If your business depended on selling fish, would you tell everyone they can go half a mile down and get free fish every morning before 10am? I doubt it. Does that make you dishonest? Err, probably not.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:57 am

But if you want me to buy your fish. It better taste good.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:11 pm

But if you want me to buy your fish. It better taste good.
^ I guess that's for you to decide. If I fail you once, don't come back.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Mommy Points
I can say there rarely a time where any of us talk about posting something at the same time.
I am not trying to be the judge here. But it does not seem that both sides (Readers and Bloggers) understand each others.

It is not easy to become a blogger. You have to watch out for a lot of things, like topics and traffic.

For instance - my blog has opened for exactly eight month today. Based on the statistics, I have about 1 visit per day. For me - I believe it is a success already because of the tons of resources from the internet.

Then the topic - like news, not every single day you will have breaking news or something good to discuss. But you have to maintain your traffic flow. So? You talk about what people are interested. In that case, it is basically unavoidable that bloggers won't talk about the same deal.

I am not in a position for defending Mommy Point and others, like Gary, Brian and Lucky. But as a reader and you see you don't like these kinds of post, have you ever express your opinion to them (like editorial)?

They do listen to people, unlike newspapers. And as a reader - you also have the right not to read those.

I don't see the point why blaming the bloggers will do any good.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by zoicca
Completely agree with this statement.

I can tell you that the vast majority of bloggers make less than minimum wage if they were going to track hours. Most do it for fun, but kudos to them for trying to make a few bucks. It's not that hard to estimate how much a website is making (or blog) based on traffic estimates (e.g., Alexa, compete.com etc) and some standard benchmarks.

----
This statement about the vast majority of bloggers is neither here nor there. Most who complain here are only concerned with the big-timers. $100 referral fee (as one example) multiplied by 1,000 is $100,000.

I think that bloggers do a lot of good work out there and deserve a credit card referral fee (or two or three or four), so long as the fact that it's a referral link is disclosed and readers want to give the bloggers such fees. Also, if the affiliate links are the only offers you think are available, when actually there are non-affiliate links you could have used (example I am thinking about recently is chase sapphire preferred), it's your fault for not doing additional research if you want to use non-affiliate links.

I have used such affiliate links on some of the blogs mentioned in this thread. I think that the jealousy/envy feeling that some hold towards the bloggers is wrong, even though it may be a natural emotional reaction. I think the saying "don't hate the player, hate the game" can be inserted here. If you don't want to give the bloggers business, that's fine, but it's each person's choice as to whether one wants to click on the blog's credit card link. Even if bloggers address all of your complaints here, many of you aren't going to use their affiliate links anyways. How is that fair to the bloggers? Do you really expect to legitimately obtain free advice from a blog and yet complain that the blogger is getting referral fees from other people?

I do, however, think that it's fair to ask about promises that bloggers have made about the use of referral income.

Because G.L. wrote about using some credit card fees for charitable donations originally here and also here, I wonder if he should disclose what percentage and/or how much of referral fees is getting contributed to charity? And how is he reducing his frequent flyer award planning fees (another original reason he stated)? He did state that he didn't intend to bump up his income but implied using for good.

Again, I will continue to use affiliate links when I think that blogger is providing a valuable service. The link I use oftentimes depends on the highest utility I perceive receiving from a particular blog.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
But as a reader and you see you don't like these kinds of post, have you ever express your opinion to them (like editorial)?

They do listen to people, unlike newspapers. And as a reader - you also have the right not to read those.

I don't see the point why blaming the bloggers will do any good.
^ Great post.

If there is a problem with a blogger or bloggers, take it up with them rather than litter MilesBuzz with tiresome drivel.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: SPG plat 75, HH Gold
Originally Posted by saacman5033

If there is a problem with a blogger or bloggers, take it up with them rather than litter MilesBuzz with tiresome drivel.
^ This thread just won't die.

As I posted here earlier, use a reader. I have 20+ often useful blogs on Google Reader. It takes me less time to decide what to read than it would to bellyache here about bloggers.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LOL - if you skip the blogs you don't like, skip the threads you don't like here on FT also!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: SPG plat 75, HH Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
LOL - if you skip the blogs you don't like, skip the threads you don't like here on FT also!
Valid point

I just couldn't resist.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Lol, just can't resist!

Of course, with a reader I just remove a blog that has irritated me. If only I could do the same thing with this thread.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saacman5033
Lol, just can't resist!

Of course, with a reader I just remove a blog that has irritated me. If only I could do the same thing with this thread.
It's true - I've seen forums where you can "ignore thread" or, better yet, "ignore poster" and those threads/posters just become invisible to you. I don't think we have that here, but I'd be happy to be surprised.

EDIT: Looks like we do have "ignore user" here.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 6:13 pm

And MatthewLAX from UPGRD just came out with a post that doesn't deceptively pimp out the card as the next best thing, but rather talks objectively about its benefits and (many) downsides. Another reason he's still my favourite blogger. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.