Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Sign in using an external account

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 28, 13, 3:19 pm   #2191
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 166
my translation for that Avis email is this:

Dear Sir, Too many people used this coupon so we here at Avis reached our threshold to do something about it. You see when a handful of people were working us we werent to be bothered but now a couple 100-1,000 reservations were made and it has our attention. Proving that not everything can be shared with a huge number of hackers.
__________________
The Site for all Mile Collecting Info www.Mileageupdate.com
MileageUpdate is offline  
Old Mar 28, 13, 3:56 pm   #2192
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 61,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored_Russian View Post
Boom, here comes the boom, ready or not ..
Yeah, I know a bunch were canceled. That doesn't mean that earlier reservations weren't honored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saacman5033 View Post
As stated, yes I think that violates the TOS as it is defamatory and it challenges a member directly, not their point of view or blog content. I do think the statement could be reworded thoughtfully to convey the intended meaning without attacking the member directly.
So saying, "The Frugal Travel Guy blog loves affiliates more than information," is OK but "Frugal Travel Guy loves affiliates more than information" is not? It gets mighty squirrely when someone has their brand as their username. Trying to enforce that rule is a losing battle, particularly when the net result of the statement is the same.

I know the ToS pretty well having enforced them for a few years. Y'all are painting yourselves into a corner here. It isn't going to help anyone or anything.

Last edited by sbm12; Mar 28, 13 at 4:02 pm.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Mar 28, 13, 4:59 pm   #2193
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: HNL
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
So saying, "The Frugal Travel Guy blog loves affiliates more than information," is OK but "Frugal Travel Guy loves affiliates more than information" is not? It gets mighty squirrely when someone has their brand as their username. Trying to enforce that rule is a losing battle, particularly when the net result of the statement is the same.
The point of my argument was not to encourage tiptoeing the line by adding "blog", .com, etc when referring to a blog. I'd like to challenge each of us to avoid the line completely by disagreeing in a manner that is as respectful as possible. Emphasizing that were talking about the blog could be used to ensure that theres no mistake in topic of discussion. You're exactly right that the whole issue is squirrelly and I'd just encourage everyone to avoid the line altogether.

And no, the statement as reworded above is still not appropriate IMO.
saacman5033 is offline  
Old Mar 28, 13, 5:15 pm   #2194
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DAY
Programs: Mahalo Rewards, UA Silver, DL Gold, HH Gold, PCR Plat, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by saacman5033 View Post
The point of my argument was not to encourage tiptoeing the line by adding "blog", .com, etc when referring to a blog. I'd like to challenge each of us to avoid the line completely by disagreeing in a manner that is as respectful as possible. Emphasizing that were talking about the blog could be used to ensure that theres no mistake in topic of discussion. You're exactly right that the whole issue is squirrelly and I'd just encourage everyone to avoid the line altogether.

And no, the statement as reworded above is still not appropriate IMO.
"avoid the line altogether" - what does that mean exactly? That would seem to require not saying anything negative or in disagreement about any blog post.

So we have uncountable numbers of threads and posts that are highly critical (and sometimes more than that) as to airlines, hotels, rental car companies, mainstream media and their authors, etc. That's OK because they're big companies or whatever the rationale is....but politely criticizing a blog post (however one references it) is a violation? Why?
84fiero is offline  
Old Mar 28, 13, 5:40 pm   #2195
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: 1A with Dom Perignon
Programs: Platinum Sky Pimp
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
So we have uncountable numbers of threads and posts that are highly critical (and sometimes more than that) as to airlines, hotels, rental car companies, mainstream media and their authors, etc. That's OK because they're big companies or whatever the rationale is....but politely criticizing a blog post (however one references it) is a violation? Why?
I asked exact same question to Mia. Unfortunately he/she did not answer.
Basically saying anything other than praise about blog(er) is a violation.
BTW, I noticed TGP Blog had post about Avis car rental deal and it did not have one single credit card link in it! <- (good thing).
Proof below:

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/03/amaz...als-from-avis/
fishdance is offline  
Old Mar 28, 13, 5:52 pm   #2196
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Posts: 3,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileageUpdate View Post
my translation for that Avis email is this:

Dear Sir, Too many people used this coupon so we here at Avis reached our threshold to do something about it. You see when a handful of people were working us we werent to be bothered but now a couple 100-1,000 reservations were made and it has our attention. Proving that not everything can be shared with a huge number of hackers.
But wait, arenn't they supposed to try harder"
HMPS is offline  
Old Mar 28, 13, 7:18 pm   #2197
Original Member, TalkBoard Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: 7 minutes from DCA
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, TSA Pre!
Posts: 33,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
"avoid the line altogether" - what does that mean exactly? That would seem to require not saying anything negative or in disagreement about any blog post.

So we have uncountable numbers of threads and posts that are highly critical (and sometimes more than that) as to airlines, hotels, rental car companies, mainstream media and their authors, etc. That's OK because they're big companies or whatever the rationale is....but politely criticizing a blog post (however one references it) is a violation? Why?
You know what would be better than playing a game of 'avoid the line?'

A new forum for points and miles blogs as a member of the 'Sub-Forums : Miles&Points' family for the general discussion of the various commercial points and miles service providers collectively known as 'points and miles blogs' as well as the content provided by these commercial service providers.

If only someone on the TalkBoard would make a motion to that end....
__________________
Want to talk points and miles blogs, seminars, charters and websites? Visit the FT External Resources forum!
kokonutz is offline  
Old Mar 28, 13, 7:20 pm   #2198
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SEA
Posts: 1,725
No surprise Avis is not honoring. The "revelation" of the coupon by blogger X was nothing more than a shameless publicity stunt and attention grab.
HikerT is offline  
Old Mar 28, 13, 7:22 pm   #2199
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: RDU
Programs: DL FO, AA LT PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Other Crap...
Posts: 5,244
why don't you guys just create your own site where you can all drown in each other's hatred and vitriol against bloggers? it would be such a great place. no moderation, just ...... moan all you can manage. which appears to be quite a lot
__________________
MilesAbound - my blog | Trip Report: Emirates A380 F JFK-DXB

Last edited by saacman5033; Mar 28, 13 at 10:12 pm. Reason: avoiding language filter
ma91pmh is offline  
Old Mar 28, 13, 7:26 pm   #2200
Original Member, TalkBoard Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: 7 minutes from DCA
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, TSA Pre!
Posts: 33,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
why don't you guys just create your own site where you can all drown in each other's hatred and vitriol against bloggers? it would be such a great place. no moderation, just ...... moan all you can manage. which appears to be quite a lot
Replace "bloggers" with "United" and you have the FlyerTalk Mileage Plus forum; probably the most popular forum on FlyerTalk!

Look at it this way: with a blogger forum, if you don't like the conversation you can avoid the forum altogether.
__________________
Want to talk points and miles blogs, seminars, charters and websites? Visit the FT External Resources forum!

Last edited by saacman5033; Mar 28, 13 at 10:13 pm. Reason: Edit quoted post
kokonutz is offline  
Old Mar 28, 13, 7:30 pm   #2201
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
why don't you guys just create your own site where you can all drown in each other's hatred and vitriol against bloggers? it would be such a great place. no moderation, just ...... moan all you can manage. which appears to be quite a lot
Yet you have no problem with the behaviour that triggers the reaction

Last edited by saacman5033; Mar 28, 13 at 10:13 pm. Reason: Edit quoted post
belfordrocks is offline  
Old Mar 28, 13, 7:36 pm   #2202
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: RDU
Programs: DL FO, AA LT PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Other Crap...
Posts: 5,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
Replace "bloggers" with "United" and you have the FlyerTalk Mileage Plus forum; probably the most popular forum on FlyerTalk!

Look at it this way: with a blogger forum, if you don't like the conversation you can avoid the forum altogether.
If you don't like the blogs, you can avoid them too

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfordrocks View Post
Yet you have no problem with the behaviour that triggers the reaction
Keep rolling those eyes. I can learn to adapt to the world I live in without constantly bemoaning what might have been
__________________
MilesAbound - my blog | Trip Report: Emirates A380 F JFK-DXB
ma91pmh is offline  
Old Mar 28, 13, 8:05 pm   #2203
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 61,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by saacman5033 View Post
The point of my argument was not to encourage tiptoeing the line by adding "blog", .com, etc when referring to a blog. I'd like to challenge each of us to avoid the line completely by disagreeing in a manner that is as respectful as possible. ...
And no, the statement as reworded above is still not appropriate IMO.
What about that phrase was disrespectful? And is the "IMO" there you speaking as a member or as a moderator?

If it is not possible to discuss both the positive and negative aspects of a topic then this becomes worthless as a venue. Using moderation to push an agenda by only allowing one side of a discussion is a bad play. I strongly urge you to reconsider that plan.

Last edited by sbm12; Mar 28, 13 at 8:11 pm.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Mar 28, 13, 8:14 pm   #2204
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
Keep rolling those eyes. I can learn to adapt to the world I live in without constantly bemoaning what might have been
If you choose to tolerate this dreck, that's your prerogative. Others may feel differently.
belfordrocks is offline  
Old Mar 28, 13, 9:49 pm   #2205
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Programs: Hilton/Starwood/ClubCarlson Gold, PC Platinum, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 2,237
Thank you saacman5033, this helps a lot. Is this how moderator Mia feels? Or is he in another level entirely? Are we supposed to adapt to each moderator's biases? I don't want to be thinking too much before I post something. It violates my principles of freedom of expression so I am doing something to protest...lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by saacman5033 View Post
I think we can all keep posts within the TOS if a little effort is made.

Why the need for name-calling whether the person in question is part of a big corporation or not, FTer or not? In any case, it is appropriate to thoughtfully and respectfully disagree with a blog's content or a blogger's point of view but not attack other members. Certainly there will be some grey area, but why not err on the side of respectfulness towards others?



Literally true so no, as stated I don't see that as a TOS violation



As stated, yes I think that violates the TOS as it is defamatory and it challenges a member directly, not their point of view or blog content. I do think the statement could be reworded thoughtfully to convey the intended meaning without attacking the member directly.



I don't see why you couldn't say something along the lines of:

"I can't believe this morning's post on blogger123.com highlighted deal XYZ. Seems like a sure way to kill the deal"

Maybe this seems a little silly in response to a post that could be read as hyperbole but I'm hoping we can keep discussion here respectful in what can be a very touchy subject.
__________________
www.twitter.com/FlyerTalkerinA2 - Miles & Points www.travelbloggerbuzz.com
gpapadop is offline  
 
 
Closed Thread

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:14 pm.