Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Sign in using an external account

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 23, 13, 8:57 pm   #2116
Moderator: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 15,605
Is there any difference between bloggers who get comped the highest, most elite status on an airline and those who manage to get free trips and hotel rooms?
__________________
Put... the candle... back!
iluv2fly is online now  
Old Mar 24, 13, 12:28 am   #2117
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New york, NY, United States
Programs: AA, BA, UA, US Air, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, and more
Posts: 1,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammanxc View Post
I think the free travel part comes from the credit card sign ups.. 50,000 miles for an AA card, use 40,000 AA off peak coach roundtrip to Europe, but just pay taxes (not free).

The free hotels part comes from those 2 free hyatt nights

then again, food, incidentals from hotels, shows, entertainment, transportation is not free...

there is no such thing as free really...
Well, if one wants to get technical about it... sure, nothing is free, period. If you don't travel, you'll always save a bunch. To me, however, the ability to cut air travel and accommodations out of the equation makes my trip as close to free as humanly possible. Is it 100% free? Of course not! But I'll take it!
__________________
New to Travel Hacking? Read my bestselling BOOKS to get started!
MY BLOG lists best NON-AFFILIATED credit card links, updated WEEKLY.
mnscout is offline  
Old Mar 24, 13, 12:45 am   #2118
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: headforpoints.com
Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Posts: 22,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
Just to be clear: I was paying a compliment, not leveling a criticism!

I am constantly amazed and impressed (not to mention a little jealous of) the schwag that the Tommys and Garys and bloggers have bestowed upon them by the travel industry. Free travel and free status sure do beat the hell out of a few measly points or miles!
I'm sure Gary posted a few weeks ago that the had NEVER taken a freebie of any value, certainly not a flight or hotel stay.
__________________
www.headforpoints.com, the daily Avios (and much more) blog which includes the UK's best loyalty credit card guide
Raffles is offline  
Old Mar 24, 13, 12:46 am   #2119
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnscout View Post
Well, if one wants to get technical about it... sure, nothing is free, period. If you don't travel, you'll always save a bunch. To me, however, the ability to cut air travel and accommodations out of the equation makes my trip as close to free as humanly possible. Is it 100% free? Of course not! But I'll take it!
Nobody's saying that it isn't a killer deal... but it is in no way, shape or form "free" and therefore should not be marketed as such.
belfordrocks is offline  
Old Mar 24, 13, 9:03 am   #2120
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: LJU/ZAG/VCE/VIE
Programs: UA Premier Gold, AS MVP Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador
Posts: 224
Lukcy (aka Ben) with "One mile at a time" still the best one out there...
mirror74 is offline  
Old Mar 24, 13, 9:46 am   #2121
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 60,368
An interesting read on the business side of travel blogging: http://mattkepnes.wordpress.com/2013...avel-blogging/.

It is more about travel blogs than points blogs (which are what most discussed here are, IMO), but I think there are some pointed parallels between the two. Not surprisingly, there is some significant discussion on the use of paid text links in posts.
__________________
Travel Tales | Cash Back on Booking
Twitter | Tools |
sbm12 is online now  
Old Mar 24, 13, 9:47 am   #2122
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DAY
Programs: Mahalo Rewards, UA Silver, DL Gold, HH Gold, PCR Plat, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 1,793
Just in time for our discussions: Should You Start Your Own Points Blog?

And VFTW revisits (for the umpteenth time) the only destination that matters, the Maldives
__________________
MyFlightMemory
Thank God I'm only watching the game...controlling it...
84fiero is offline  
Old Mar 24, 13, 10:49 am   #2123
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: 1A with Dom Perignon
Programs: Platinum Sky Pimp
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile-a-holic View Post
It is easy to give disclosures where obvious - like a company saying "I follow Sarbanes Oxley." I judge by actions, not words. I like TPG because his newbie guide gives a balanced view.

Yes it does. Like in this "Best cards for students studying abroad"

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/03/vide...udying-abroad/

As it turns out Business Chase Ink cards are among them. Imagine that application! I wonder if Platinum MB Amex is good for a students as well.

I bet he has ending template for every post he publishes because it is so much hassle to ad 20 links in every post every time.
fishdance is offline  
Old Mar 24, 13, 12:29 pm   #2124
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdance View Post
Yes it does. Like in this "Best cards for students studying abroad"

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/03/vide...udying-abroad/

As it turns out Business Chase Ink cards are among them. Imagine that application! I wonder if Platinum MB Amex is good for a students as well.

I bet he has ending template for every post he publishes because it is so much hassle to ad 20 links in every post every time.
I believe you are pulling what he said out of context. While I'm not a big fan of referral links, TPG suggests getting the Freedom card with Chase and then down the road to hit up other cards that have a UR signing bonus since the points from each card can be combined.

His Sunday posts seem to be pumped out a bit quicker. He should have just put up a chart that showed the card, type of rewards, forex fee, and yearly fee... then explained them all.

I would have thought the best piece of advice would be to not get a credit card at all if you are a student and only abroad for 3 months. You could get a Charles Schwab checking account for free and not be charged any ATM or international banking fees. He does suggest being an authorized user on a parent's premium card that had no forex (this probably should have been his first suggestion).
Astrophsx is offline  
Old Mar 24, 13, 12:50 pm   #2125
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: YVR
Programs: Buy Miles Club
Posts: 4,368
While I was dreaming last night (seriously!), I stumbled on this interesting example...

Anyways, I got a Klout perk a few days ago, and I'm sort of stuck in a weird place. I sort of feel like I have to say that I got a perk, because then that's the only way the perks would continue, because then if I didn't then the provider wouldn't be getting the publicity s/he wanted.

Isn't that sort of like credit cards except with bigger numbers? If you're not going to push, no links for you.
yerffej201 is online now  
Old Mar 24, 13, 12:54 pm   #2126
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold (via UA), Hilton Gold (via AMEX Plat)
Posts: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerffej201 View Post
While I was dreaming last night (seriously!), I stumbled on this interesting example...

Anyways, I got a Klout perk a few days ago, and I'm sort of stuck in a weird place. I sort of feel like I have to say that I got a perk, because then that's the only way the perks would continue, because then if I didn't then the provider wouldn't be getting the publicity s/he wanted.

Isn't that sort of like credit cards except with bigger numbers? If you're not going to push, no links for you.
It was the Fish McBites, wasn't it?
__________________
Food Wine and Miles, a First2Board blog | Twitter | Facebook | Google+
milesmuncher is offline  
Old Mar 24, 13, 1:22 pm   #2127
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New york, NY, United States
Programs: AA, BA, UA, US Air, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, and more
Posts: 1,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by belfordrocks View Post
Nobody's saying that it isn't a killer deal... but it is in no way, shape or form "free" and therefore should not be marketed as such.
I've got your point. But then the question is what exactly is travel.

Two expenses you can't avoid on the road are transportation and lodging. Both can be had on miles and points. Everything else is, strictly speaking, optional.

Don't want to pay for tours -- don't. Read a lot of books, contact locals beforehabd and ask them to show you around.

Food? You still eat out even when not traveling. Not as much, granted, but one can always buy packaged food at a supermarket or grocery. Breakfast is often acheivable with status, and same holds true for snacks and drinks at the lounge.

What else is there? Souvenirs? Come on!

Even the free ride to the airport can be arranged if you ask a buddy or relative to take you there. And a rental can be had on points too. Not the best use of points, but it's easy and doable.

So, it all comes down to one thing: airline taxes. Taxes are inevitable. Yet, unbelievably enough, even that can often be taken care of by applying for the right kind of card with a statement credit.

Leisure travel is fun and some people will argue that having fun while staying home ain't free either. Some folks have expensive habits. Go clubbing in NYC or South Beach and tell me how cheap it is. Even small ticket items like having a cold one with friends, bowling alleyes, movie theaters -- things you routinely do at home without thinking twice cost money. Honestly, no grownup out there will expect to be able to go on a "free trip" without a wallet. What you, guys, demand here is the absolutely highest and improbable level of disclosure that nobody from any industry in the world will ever adhere to.
__________________
New to Travel Hacking? Read my bestselling BOOKS to get started!
MY BLOG lists best NON-AFFILIATED credit card links, updated WEEKLY.
mnscout is offline  
Old Mar 24, 13, 1:36 pm   #2128
TalkBoard Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 7 minutes from DCA
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, TSA Pre!
Posts: 30,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
Is there any difference between bloggers who get comped the highest, most elite status on an airline and those who manage to get free trips and hotel rooms?
Schwag is schwag!
__________________
Want to talk points and miles blogs, seminars, charters and websites? Visit the FT External Resources forum!
kokonutz is offline  
Old Mar 24, 13, 1:54 pm   #2129
Senior Moderator; Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 24,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
And VFTW revisits (for the umpteenth time) the only destination that matters, the Maldives
Lucky also seems to have hit the niche of finding ways to milk the US DM loophole of flying to Asia via Europe in as many ways as possible on *A

That said, if you have a certain travel pattern you become the expert of that route. Venturing outside that niche and writing something readable about it (that people want to read) must be pretty tough...
oliver2002 is online now  
Old Mar 24, 13, 2:06 pm   #2130
Used to be 'Bored_Russian'
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: 787
Programs: AA-Hilton-Raddison-BA-Benihana.. ALL PLATINUM LT
Posts: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Lucky also seems to have hit the niche of finding ways to milk the US DM loophole of flying to Asia via Europe in as many ways as possible on *A
I probably not understanding this correctly but what loophole is that? from reading it I see he spent 230K miles on each ticket.
__________________
The Points Collector
ThePointsCollector is online now  
 
 
Closed Thread

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:19 pm.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.