Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Sign in using an external account

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 17, 13, 9:44 pm   #1966
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by superflyer99 View Post
Right now it looks like 2011 and 2012 were the peak years for bloggers. Chase has pulled back. Most CC offers are much poorer=fewer applications/less compenstation. Less revenue for the bloggers => fewer bloggers that can make a living from the activity. On the other hand, some will be able to create more revenue from associated businesses including award booking services.
I would think award booking services were in their prime before 2012 and the credit cards.
And not necessarily. Just look at tpg and his link farm. So much more junk nowadays.
yerffej201 is offline  
Old Mar 17, 13, 9:47 pm   #1967
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Programs: AA EXP(.81MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerffej201 View Post
I would think award booking services were in their prime before 2012 and the credit cards.
And not necessarily. Just look at tpg and his link farm. So much more junk nowadays.
well, if affiliate marketing dies out, there's always network marketing! Multi Level Marketing opportunities!
__________________
World Traveler, Globetrotter, All Things Luxury - http://twitter.com/jamucsb & visit my blog http://pointssummary.com
jammanxc is online now  
Old Mar 17, 13, 9:50 pm   #1968
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York and Vienna
Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Posts: 2,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongviewTX View Post
The barriers are probably not as low as you may think as well - most successful blogs out here are not simply repackaging the information available elsewhere but bring significant 'value add' this way or the other.
The barriers to entry are well known: a computer and an Internet connection. That is pretty low.
__________________
Frequent Business Traveler magazine | Travel, tech, wining and dining
The Diesel Driver | Fuel-efficient driving and travel
jspira is online now  
Old Mar 17, 13, 11:10 pm   #1969
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspira View Post
The barriers to entry are well known: a computer and an Internet connection. That is pretty low.
I don't think it's that simple anymore. The barriers to entry appear to be quite high now, IF you're talking about being approved to become a credit card affiliate. There appears to only be one company offering enticing incentives to market credit card referrals, FlexOffers. From what I've read, they only want established bloggers with high visibility and a high page rank.
So if you want to get into the world of credit card affiliates as a travel blogger, you're looking at a serious investment of time and effort (and most likely money) to be even considered by FlexOffers. And even then it's a fairly opaque process for getting approved for individual banks.
Add to that the agreements that FlexOffers have with bloggers that prevent disclosure of compensation, and prevent any kickbacks from being offered. In any form.
And First2Board formed with a no-credit-card-referrals policy. But they're using FlexOffers for regular ads.
It doesn't seem like an open market to me, but I'm an engineer, not an economist.
tjbrooks is offline  
Old Mar 18, 13, 12:06 am   #1970
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by superflyer99 View Post
Right now it looks like 2011 and 2012 were the peak years for bloggers. Chase has pulled back. Most CC offers are much poorer=fewer applications/less compenstation. Less revenue for the bloggers => fewer bloggers that can make a living from the activity. On the other hand, some will be able to create more revenue from associated businesses including award booking services.
A limiting factor on the number of sign ups has to be the ability to show people how to meet the spending requirement for the bonus. It would make sense to me that a majority of sign ups would come from repeat business. That is to say, if you can show someone how to churn cards and meet the required spending... they will be more likely to use more than one of your links.. and probably account for a large % of your overall cc sign ups.

If you removed all manufactured spending methods I think it would be more like it was before 2010. There is an area of travel blogging that puts more focus on trip reports. Usually bloggers that are interviewed on millionmilesecrets that don't have enough traffic to get into the referral business.
Astrophsx is offline  
Old Mar 18, 13, 12:34 am   #1971
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammanxc View Post
well, if affiliate marketing dies out, there's always network marketing! Multi Level Marketing opportunities!
Become your own bentoffers or wait, your own cashback portals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspira View Post
The barriers to entry are well known: a computer and an Internet connection. That is pretty low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
A limiting factor on the number of sign ups has to be the ability to show people how to meet the spending requirement for the bonus. It would make sense to me that a majority of sign ups would come from repeat business. That is to say, if you can show someone how to churn cards and meet the required spending... they will be more likely to use more than one of your links.. and probably account for a large % of your overall cc sign ups.

If you removed all manufactured spending methods I think it would be more like it was before 2010. There is an area of travel blogging that puts more focus on trip reports. Usually bloggers that are interviewed on millionmilesecrets that don't have enough traffic to get into the referral business.
Most of the bloggers today have been interviewed by MMS. The barrier[s] to entry are how well you can write and how popular you can become so you can get links.
yerffej201 is offline  
Old Mar 18, 13, 5:39 am   #1972
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: 1A with Dom Perignon
Programs: Platinum Sky Pimp
Posts: 86
This is why I love browsing TPG link farm

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/03/sr-c...return-flight/

Todays question comes from Dixie Reckt out of S. Carolina - "Can You Buy A Roundtrip Ticket And Not Take The Return Flight?". Right, you think finally today is the day when I can click on this and find something useful without 12 links to credit card offers and/or explanations on how to buy gift cards with Ink Bold card. I mean its about not flying return leg of my flight. Not this time!


PS: Oh, and the complex answer to your question Dixie is - Yes. But by the time you get to paragraph three of today's post no-one really cares about that any longer.

Last edited by philemer; Mar 18, 13 at 11:35 am.. Reason: removed offensive material
fishdance is offline  
Old Mar 18, 13, 6:09 am   #1973
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,489
Reminds me of the Big Bang Theory episode where Sheldon and Leonard hypothesise that Howard can link any topic back to the fact that he was up in space. Replace Howard with TPG and space with Chase Bolded Ultimate Sapphire Freedom Liberty Card, and ta-da.
belfordrocks is offline  
Old Mar 18, 13, 6:40 am   #1974
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammanxc View Post
Sorry that you were disappointed that I didn't take the poverty bus and I did in fact only visit Masada to "enjoy the sweeping desert and Dead Sea views from the top." We were up on top of Masada and came straight down in less than an hour. I'm not blogging to teach a history lesson...
This is one of the worst responses to criticism I've ever seen by a so-called professional writer.

Would you like to try again?
hsilman is offline  
Old Mar 18, 13, 6:52 am   #1975
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 429
Read elsewhere on a blog today ....

Quote:
Did you notice that cancelling a credit card will NOT immediately reduce your Length of Credit History? Thatís because your Length of Credit History already decreased when you applied for the card!
ferrari_fan is offline  
Old Mar 18, 13, 7:02 am   #1976
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York and Vienna
Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Posts: 2,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerffej201 View Post

Most of the bloggers today have been interviewed by MMS. The barrier[s] to entry are how well you can write and how popular you can become so you can get links.
Actually neither is a barrier to entry for a blogger. They are barriers to success but not barriers to entry and that is what we are currently discussing.
__________________
Frequent Business Traveler magazine | Travel, tech, wining and dining
The Diesel Driver | Fuel-efficient driving and travel
jspira is online now  
Old Mar 18, 13, 7:04 am   #1977
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York and Vienna
Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Posts: 2,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbrooks View Post
I don't think it's that simple anymore. The barriers to entry appear to be quite high now, IF you're talking about being approved to become a credit card affiliate.
Those are barriers to making money with a website, not barriers to entry.
__________________
Frequent Business Traveler magazine | Travel, tech, wining and dining
The Diesel Driver | Fuel-efficient driving and travel
jspira is online now  
Old Mar 18, 13, 7:05 am   #1978
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York and Vienna
Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Posts: 2,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammanxc View Post
Sorry that you were disappointed that I didn't take the poverty bus and I did in fact only visit Masada to "enjoy the sweeping desert and Dead Sea views from the top." We were up on top of Masada and came straight down in less than an hour. I'm not blogging to teach a history lesson...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
This is one of the worst responses to criticism I've ever seen by a so-called professional writer.

Would you like to try again?
I'm not sure I even understand what the first party meant by "poverty bus" but it doesn't sound good.
__________________
Frequent Business Traveler magazine | Travel, tech, wining and dining
The Diesel Driver | Fuel-efficient driving and travel
jspira is online now  
Old Mar 18, 13, 8:35 am   #1979
Original Member, TalkBoard Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: 7 minutes from DCA
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, TSA Pre!
Posts: 32,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by belfordrocks View Post
Reminds me of the Big Bang Theory episode where Sheldon and Leonard hypothesise that Howard can link any topic back to the fact that he was up in space. Replace Howard with TPG and space with Chase Bolded Ultimate Sapphire Freedom Liberty Card, and ta-da.
Or Rainman: 'Credit card link. Definitely credit card link. 'Course it's 10 minutes to credit card link.'

__________________
Want to talk points and miles blogs, seminars, charters and websites? Visit the FT External Resources forum!
kokonutz is offline  
Old Mar 18, 13, 8:56 am   #1980
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DEN
Posts: 316
Regarding the whole Masada trip and the back and forth there: I think everyone is confusing two distinct types of blogging and travel writing in general. There are destination travel pieces that are designed to help you plan your trip, learn more about a destination, or just live vicariously through the author as he/she experiences somewhere that you may not be able to visit. There is nothing wrong with that. I have been to Israel many times, but I read that blog post series so I can learn more about the Le Meridian Dead Sea, that I will visit for the first time later this year. Good stuff for my purposes, but Conde Nast it was not.

On the other hand, the point/mile bloggers write what are called service pieces. These focus less on the destination (or not at all), and teach people about the "how to" of travel. It is easy to forget that most leisure travelers leave home less than once or twice a year, and don't know most of the stuff we write about.

If you think there are a lot of point/mile bloggers, than you have no idea how many people write about just destinations and barely know a thing about points and miles. There are probably 100 destination writers for every service writer, both online and especially in print. Destination people are all about going to the ends of the earth for adventure, culture, food, photography, language, etc. In contrast, point/mile bloggers and writers tend to stick to the major cities and stay at a western chain hotel.

To make matters more confusing, a lot of point/mile bloggers will feature destinations, but usually just short photo essays of the hotel and business lounge.

So there you have it; don't jump on a point/mile blogger for an inadequate destination piece any more than you would criticize a Nat. Geo. writer for not explaining how to go to Borneo with points and miles.
__________________
Travel and Personal Finance Journalist
JasonSteele.com
JSteele is offline  
 
 
Closed Thread

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:39 pm.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.