Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA EXP, WN Comp Pass, Hertz Pres. Circle
Hotel Garbi Ibiza - Not bad, but not 4 star, not even close

Hotel Garbi Ibiza & Spa

Map| 1 Review | 0% Recommended

Hotel Garbi Ibiza & Spa

C./ de Murtra nº 5 Ap.Co. 128 Playa d'en Bossa Sant Josep de sa Talaia, ES 07830

Not bad, but not 4 star, not even close (0 Photo)

Hotel Garbi Ibiza & Spa

My wife and I stayed at Garbi for 5 nights in June. We arrived on Friday and left on Wednesday. I chose this property for the location. It is right on the Playa d’en Bossa (beach) and had a spa that we did not end up using. We were looking for a place in that area to be close to the clubs. Garbi brands itself as a 4 star hotel, which it is not, but it is not a bad place to stay either. I judged all of this review based on the ridiculous claim by Garbi that they are a 4 star hotel.

Clean

(4/5)

The room was very clean, perhaps a little overdone on the bleach smell, but clean. The housekeeping staff was efficient, and the little interaction with them (in the hallways) was professional and polite. They always cleaned the room pretty early, not waiting for the afternoon to get it done. The only issue, and deduction of a point, was that the glassware was never cleaned/replaced when it was obviously used.

Staff

(3/5)

The staff was polite, and helpful. They spoke Spanish, English, and a little German. They were not the “go to the next level to learn you and your needs and then anticipate them” that you would expect from a 4 star hotel, but they were fine for a 2 or 2.5 star property.

Dining

(2/5)

There is a buffet open for breakfast and dinner, and then a restaurant open between those times located between the pool and the beach. The breakfast buffet is 12 Euro and the dinner is 20 Euro per person. 

The breakfast buffet was included in the rate I chose, and it worked out, mostly. The food was very Fairfield Inn/Holiday Inn quality, which should have been completely free to guests. This was not 4 star fare at all. Rubbery pancakes, watery eggs, undercooked bacon, etc. Standard drinks were included (juice, coffee, tea, water).

Dinner, we had once, and paid 20 Euro each for mediocre food, at best. And, even at this exorbitant price, the water was not included. If you get the meal plan with dinner, fine. But do not pay for it. The food was editable, but only just.

Wow, if the food was so bad, how did it even get 2 points you ask? The restaurant out by the pool was quite good. Drinks were strong and the beef carpaccio was quite excellent. Service was attentive yet unobtrusive.

Service

(1/5)

The service was just there. Service at the bar was only ok. Service at the pool was nonexistent. No porter/bell service. No airport transfer service. Beach towels required a deposit and you had to take your sandy/damp towels to the front desk each morning to get new ones. The in-room safe was a few Euro a day. Service during the buffet meals was barely there. 30 Euro for two loungers and an umbrella on the beach. There is not a concierge desk, no turn down, the bed coverings were minimal, and bathroom amenities were of poor quality and minimal. Lack of room service and no mini-bar just round out the deficiencies. I emailed the hotel several times prior to arrival to set up a spa appointment and to arrange airport transfers. Ni ether request was filled as the spa is very basic and the communication in the email was poor and the hotel does not offer any kind of transportation arrangements. Overall, about like you would expect from a budget hotel anywhere else in the world. 

Property

(4/5)

The property was quite nice. The spa facilities were interesting and peaceful, although the gym was a little on the small side. The beach was very nice even though you had to deal with the vendors. If you have been in the Caribbean, they were nothing like that. Not pushy or smart-alec or anything. Just present, as the beach is a public one. I would have liked a more peaceful retreat from all the crazy, but I know that is just being unfair.

Pool

(3/5)

The pool was large with a great area to hang out in. Too bad there was no space, ever. If you go out to the pool after breakfast, there is nothing to be found. Just move the towels that are around with no one attending them and stake a claim. Or stand around all day. This crowd is not here to swim, or even really play, but to tan, be seen, and to shake off last night so tonight can start in a few more hours. Drink service was slow, if at all. I had to go get drinks, then they brought them to us, well one of the two, and were never seen again.

(3/5)

The location is right on the beach, on a fairly busy road. There are a few restaurants around, go out and to the right and walk about 300m or so to find something to eat. This is a party hotel in a party area of a party city. So know what you are getting into. I would have liked more “real food” options, but they were all in Ibiza Town, the old town area by the castle. The side streets on this property were loud day and most of the night. Finding a cab was very easy, exit the front of the hotel and turn right. There is a cab stand less than 30m from the front of the hotel.

Overall

(20/35)

If you are looking for a clean place to crash in the morning and tan around the pool between “meals”, then this is your place. Easy to get a cab, everyone knows where it is, and close to a lot of clubs. Do not expect a luxury hotel, Garbi is not that kind of place, no matter the claim.

The claim by this hotel that it is “4 star” is laughable. The 4 star rating, given by Forbes, is not made up, and has very real criteria. Examples of things lacking in Garbi that are required for a 4 star: Bedding quality, turn down service, transportation arrangements, bell service, and room service. It is fine if you are not a 4 star hotel, but the claim is made and completely misrepresented. If you are interested in what an actual 4 star hotel is like, I suggest you check St. Ermin’s in London, the Boscolo properties in Europe, or Kessler properties in the US. Even Ritz Carltons and 4 Seasons are sometimes 4 star hotels and Garbi does not hold a candle any of these.

Not bad, but not 4 star, not even close

Would you like to write a review on the Hotel Garbi Ibiza & Spa?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.