Paid Upgrades w/ EVA Air?

Old May 27, 2008, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Paid Upgrades w/ EVA Air?

So I'm going to be traveling to Taipei this summer with tickets booked by one of those chinatown travel agents. So heres my major question. My EVA leg of the journey will be between LAX-TPE and vice versa.

My first question is will I be able to request an EVA upgrade to Premium Economy at the Continental counter in my local airport (MFE) or will I have to wait until I reach LAX?

Secondly, does anybody know the approximate cost of an upgrade to either Premium Economy of Premium Laurel on the EVA flight?
Old May 27, 2008, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
You need to wait until you reach LAX. From Elite to Premium Laurel it is $1500 each way - I am unsure what economy to Elite is at the gate; however my husband paid in advance $450.
Old May 27, 2008, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Do you think the price would remain the same for a discounted fair? My EVA ticket is X fare...
Old May 27, 2008, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Not sure but there are those on here more knowledgeable than I on this that will be able to answer this.
Old May 27, 2008, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by baglady
Not sure but there are those on here more knowledgeable than I on this that will be able to answer this.
Alright, thanks alot baglady! ^
Old May 27, 2008, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by gunadz
Do you think the price would remain the same for a discounted fair? My EVA ticket is X fare...
Base on your ticket class, the cost of upgrade will be different to match up the ticket price. Some of the discount tickets cannot do upgrades what-so-ever.

Y/K
T
B
S/X
U
Old May 28, 2008, 12:39 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
coolfish1103 is right.. the price will vary.

Bear in mind the Elite cabin is very small and can fill up ages in advance.
Old May 28, 2008, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Some of the discount tickets cannot do upgrades what-so-ever.
So are the codes you listed ineligible for upgrade even if it is paid?
Old May 28, 2008, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're going to have to pay up to the regular fare anyway (as has been suggested will be necessary), why don't you just buy the premium economy or business class ticket in the first place?
Old May 28, 2008, 8:35 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
an advance purchase business class ticket is only $3500 round trip
Old May 28, 2008, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
If you're going to have to pay up to the regular fare anyway (as has been suggested will be necessary), why don't you just buy the premium economy or business class ticket in the first place?
The tickets were purchased by my travel companion and I'm hoping to surprise her with the upgrade.
Old May 28, 2008, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
I think your chances of an upgrade are very slim--nearly none, considering fare class and popularity of the premium cabin. As mentioned, you may want to consider paying now if you want the bigger seat/space. Sure makes the long journey more bearable!
Old May 28, 2008, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
All these classes that I listed should be able to upgrade to Elite/Evergreen Deluxe using payments at the airport (if they release the seats). Payments will vary base on your ticket class. It is not recommended to pay at the airport to upgrade because it would be very expensive to do so. You should always try to buy Elite/Evergreen Deluxe tickets or Premium Laurel/Super Business tickets directly instead of doing upgrades via payment.

Since your ticket is already bought, you should try to ask the airline or your travel agency to see how much is it to pay for the fare difference between your booking class and the cheapest Elite Class ticket for this one way segment.

After June 21st, 2008, only Y/M/K/Q may upgrade using miles at the airport. All other booking classes must upgrade beforehand unless it does not qualify for upgrades, such as R/H/G/W/I.
Old May 31, 2008, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Alright, thanks alot for your advice and help everybody!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.