My EVA Royal Laurel experience

Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
So overall I'd say Royal Laurel was a good experience for me, but I wouldn't do it again.
Cathay would be worth it for the stop in HK.
EK/EY would be good because mostly the cabin is a more comfortable temperature and this makes a big difference on a long flight. A UAE stopover also makes a lot more sense to me, given I have a second home in Dubai. Etihad has a more comfortable seat, and the lounges are a place to relax with table service, not like standing in the terminal! Similarly priority security is something I never appreciated till now. EVA's lack of it makes a big difference.
Those who've commented that I can't compare it to F. When an airline makes a conscious decision to eliminate F, they know comparisons will be made, this is why EVA offer pyjamas (that don't fit anyone other than a Mongoloid), prestige curvee Champagne and Rimowa cases in their top cabin.
The 'non-evasive' service didn't really bother me, if I was really bothered I'd get it myself. I once flew LHR-HKG in my student days in BA Y, I couldn't take the seat and had no issue spending most of the flight standing by the gallery drinking JW Red Label. The crew seemed to be happy chatting to me to, although I was perhaps more handsome then... It doesn't mean that being offered it at seat isn't a million times better and what the airline should have done.
I will eat what's presented to me, I should be given the option to decline it before its plated, YMMV but as far as my upbringing goes you don't waste food once its plated for you.

Last edited by akalra1187; Apr 30, 2017 at 8:05 pm
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I believe mongoloid is now considered an offensive/pejorative term.

I always get curious about the cabin temp people, how well do you sleep in hotel rooms? Sometimes it takes me a night or two to figure out what I need to set it at when I sleep (mostly I think due to sleeping in bedding that's not what I have at home).
I've flown on lots of aircraft from lots of carriers. Sure there's been times where I've boarded and it can be abnormally hot/cold but I've never been on a flight and thought the cabin temp was an issue.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I believe mongoloid is now considered an offensive/pejorative term.

I always get curious about the cabin temp people, how well do you sleep in hotel rooms? Sometimes it takes me a night or two to figure out what I need to set it at when I sleep (mostly I think due to sleeping in bedding that's not what I have at home).
I've flown on lots of aircraft from lots of carriers. Sure there's been times where I've boarded and it can be abnormally hot/cold but I've never been on a flight and thought the cabin temp was an issue.
I apologise if Mongoloid is a offensive term, I didn't mean it that way. I will say those with smaller builds.

I'm an Arayan and proud, I don't know what else I'd call myself in traditional race terms.

I don't really have an issue in hotel rooms, when I'm uncomfortable I get up and adjust it, but generally speaking I'm comfy in 22C to sleep and 19C awake.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by akalra1187
So overall I'd say Royal Laurel was a good experience for me, but I wouldn't do it again.
Cathay would be worth it for the stop in HK.
EK/EY would be good because mostly the cabin is a more comfortable temperature and this makes a big difference on a long flight. A UAE stopover also makes a lot more sense to me, given I have a second home in Dubai. Etihad has a more comfortable seat, and the lounges are a place to relax with table service, not like standing in the terminal! Similarly priority security is something I never appreciated till now. EVA's lack of it makes a big difference.
Those who've commented that I can't compare it to F. When an airline makes a conscious decision to eliminate F, they know comparisons will be made, this is why EVA offer pyjamas (that don't fit anyone other than a Mongoloid), prestige curvee Champagne and Rimowa cases in their top cabin.
The 'non-evasive' service didn't really bother me, if I was really bothered I'd get it myself. I once flew LHR-HKG in my student days in BA Y, I couldn't take the seat and had no issue spending most of the flight standing by the gallery drinking JW Red Label. The crew seemed to be happy chatting to me to, although I was perhaps more handsome then... It doesn't mean that being offered it at seat isn't a million times better and what the airline should have done.
I will eat what's presented to me, I should be given the option to decline it before its plated, YMMV but as far as my upbringing goes you don't waste food once its plated for you.
the priority screening thing is out of BRs control. The Taoyuan Airport authority does not allow them to create these "Priority" lanes.
Old May 1, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
the priority screening thing is out of BRs control. The Taoyuan Airport authority does not allow them to create these "Priority" lanes.
Certainly is within there control. They just have to lobby the government or the airport. Besides, it's to help the home carrier. Like UA has premier access in the US but not Taiwan for example. But if BR wants premier access, that's not happening.

TPE is there base and they are there countries pride.
Old May 1, 2017, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by hayzel7773
In my experience TPE does have priority security... I've definitely used their Star Gold line for transiting. Perhaps this is poorly implemented and inconsistent.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by erics2356
In my experience TPE does have priority security... I've definitely used their Star Gold line for transiting. Perhaps this is poorly implemented and inconsistent.
That is for transit. Transit does not involve the "flow control" the airport implements for the departures area to ensure that the Immigration and Security do not cause backlogs into each other or into the terminal. The lines for Immigration and Security are not well designed and therefore they will often have severe backlogs in the mornings.

There also is no space for a Priority lane area in the departures area. In order to expand Immigration so the backlog wouldn't be so big, they ended the lease for the BR Diamond Card Check In area and took away half of CIs back office in T2.

Last edited by hayzel7773; May 1, 2017 at 8:15 pm
Old May 1, 2017, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Certainly is within there control. They just have to lobby the government or the airport. Besides, it's to help the home carrier. Like UA has premier access in the US but not Taiwan for example. But if BR wants premier access, that's not happening.

TPE is there base and they are there countries pride.
There is no space for them to do that. It is why they don't have it.

BR used to have a small check in area that allowed their top pax to cut the whole line via the Diamond Check In area but the airport took the space back to expand the security area.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Three questions:

1. I am 6'4'' will the PJs be clownishly small aka should I bring my own.

2. Does EVA keep the cabin too hot?

3. I have a reasonably tight connection in TPE (JFK-TPE connecting to TPE-HKG ~1.5 hour), if there's no priority line for J, will this be enough time?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:06 pm

If it's on one ticket, you'll be fine.

There is a J line on the rescreening line to go from arrivals to departures. Even if the priority line is closed, the line goes fairly quickly.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Three questions:

3. I have a reasonably tight connection in TPE (JFK-TPE connecting to TPE-HKG ~1.5 hour), if there's no priority line for J, will this be enough time?
1. They are very small.
2. For westerners, it is very hot.
3. More than enough time. There is a priority line for J/*G/BR Diamond and Gold next to the regular line, just look for the signage or ask one of the agents yelling "Transfer".
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Three questions:

PJs are too small for 6'4''. Bring your own.

I was very comfortable the 2 times I have been on EVA this year. Temperature was fine. These were both long-haul in J.

1.5 hours is fine for connection (normal caveats; on-time arrival, etc).

It is interesting to read some of the reviews. I have just started flying EVA Royal Laurel this year. After 2 long-haul flights, I have been impressed...enough so that I have 2 more scheduled this year now.

All airlines have their idiosyncrasies. I noticed the thorough cabin prep for takeoff, with nothing around the seat. And I found the call button was certainly the way to obtain service from the FAs when needed.

The catering is very good. Love the option to pre-book from an extensive selection. Drinks on board are very good. In addition to Champagne, their 1837 TWG tea is stellar.
Seats are comfortable, IFE is good, and I have found the service to be very professional.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Three questions:

Maybe they have more sizes because I am 6'2" and didn't notice any issues or anything odd with the PJs.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
I'm very sensitive to warm temperatures but actually find the cabin temp on BR to be acceptable (as opposed to NH, where I just felt like I was sweating the entire flight).

I usually just wear an athletic shirt and shorts to sleep -- the pajamas combined with the duvet are too hot.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by RandomNobody
If it's on one ticket, you'll be fine.

There is a J line on the rescreening line to go from arrivals to departures. Even if the priority line is closed, the line goes fairly quickly.
Yes, all BR, all one ticket. I just want to make sure to get to HKG on time so I don't miss the party

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.